Old produce for sale

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Old produce for sale

Post by the truth »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... 159866,,so do I understand this right ? if we do not buy there over priced fresh produce,they then want us to think we should be happy to still buy there older produce for a few pennies less
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Old produce for sale

Post by oneh2obabe »

Where does it say old produce? The article states the fruit and vegetables will be imperfect - you know, the ones that aren't perfect which consumers seems to prefer. If they offer misshapen or small fruits and vegetables at a reduced price (think the test market was 30% less), what's there to complain about?

The so-called ugly produce would have otherwise been used in juices, sauces or soups, or might not have been harvested at all.

Now the consumer has the chance to buy more for less.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I love the idea.

Personally I don't like the fact that if I buy bananas I need to wait several days to consume them (I also get the worst stomach ache if there's a hint of green). I'll go out of my way to find the most bruised/brown in the bunch. That's just how I've always liked them so I can't complain about paying less. There's the Metro grocery chain back home and they were selling bananas for $0.19 (might have been $0.29) a pound for ones I would call the perfect banana.

It would also be nice to grab an avocado to use today. I don't want guacamole 5 days from now.

I don't tend to stock up a lot on fresh produce too far ahead of time (I work out of town more often than not) so I buy as I go a lot. It's literally going from store to dinner within a couple of hours.

I welcome a cost savings. It's essentially a reward for something I already do.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I wonder if there will still be crazy ladies who want to paw through a whole bin looking for the ugliest one like they do in the pretty fruit section?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

I love the idea. Also love the mixed Apple bin at the packing house. Apples for 29cents instead of 89. Great for crisps and pies.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

they have been selling the "imperfect" fruit and veggies for months. I'll pick up the bagged apples and peppers all the time for the group home I work at. Very large bags for an inexpensive price. They don't always have them in stock, and the apples don't say what type of apples they are, but you can figure it out by looking at them.
hail Satan y'all
tootall23
Fledgling

Post by tootall23 »

Grocery stores are selling apples for $1.89 lb that start out as fancy or better grade. It doesn't matter which large chain store I look at, most of the apples are cee grade or culls by the time they make their pretty pile.

A fruit farmer producing cee grade or cull apples will soon be out of business as their return will be zero or negative. Now Loblaws wants to take fruit with defects and sell them for 30% less. $1.32 lb. Excuse me if I don't get excited.

I grew up on an orchard and worked in that industry for many years. The grocery chains like Loblaws are not doing us a big favour.
tylerdaniels
Fledgling

Post by tylerdaniels »

This isn't old produce, its just as fresh as regular produce. The produce is perfectly fine and healthy to eat, this needed to happen years ago, we are so wasteful with produce on so many levels... i'll explain by how we pick our apples here in the Okanagan.

Traditionally, when apples are being picked are ones in the store that are perfectly appealing in terms of looks, color and shape. Apples that are not misformed or unappealing do not end up getting used. Then they hit a packing house, where they are then inspected again and more apples are tossed away that are unappealing. Then they hit a store like the BC fruit market, where again more are tossed out.

The thing is, MOST these apples are edible and can be used and shouldn't end up in the trash, they now can end up in our grocery stores at lower price for lower income invididuals and families.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

^^^Not only that but some of that pretty produce we purchase as "fresh" can be quite old by the time it reaches us anyways.

http://www.today.com/food/apple-you-jus ... 2D80207170

When I was in Costa Rica at the Dole plant they explained to us how all bananas are picked quite green and only ripened when they're about the ship out and hit your grocery store.

There's a lot of trickery when it comes to fresh, aesthetically pleasing produce anyways. I'm sure a bump or dimple is the least of my concerns.
Deean
Fledgling

Post by Deean »

I would buy less perfect fresh fruit and vegies. I read the country of origin labels and try to buy only from Canada and USA. Seems to me most of our fruit and vegies come from Mexico.
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

Think i just saw the first of the imperfect fruit tonight at West Kelowna Superstore. Right as you enter, these twisted up oranges. They called them golden nuggets. Unless this was a new brand of orange??
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Behold the most perfect bananas I've ever seen.
Attachments
bananas.jpg
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

samsquench07 wrote:Think i just saw the first of the imperfect fruit tonight at West Kelowna Superstore. Right as you enter, these twisted up oranges. They called them golden nuggets. Unless this was a new brand of orange??

Did they look like this?
ImageImage

Description/Taste
The Golden Nugget tangerine is an exceptional tangerine variety. It is roughly rounded in shape and exterior texture. Its skin is golden orange, aromatic and easy to peel. Its easily segmented flesh is deep orange, tender, extremely sweet and always seedless.

Seasons/Availability
The Gold Nugget tangerine matures later and has a much longer season than most other mandarin varieties. Golden Nugget tangerines can be found well into spring.

http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce ... s_2649.php
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Always Sunny wrote:Personally I don't like the fact that if I buy bananas I need to wait several days to consume them .

I know......isn't it crazy that we can't get freshly picked bananas and avocados here in Canada!!

I want them either flown here, same-day, or at the very least, they should warehouse-ripen them perfectly so that I can think they were flown same-day, and then I can make my banana-split and guacamole that same day. All for $0.19/lb.

As a related side comment, it was -9C with 5" of fresh snow at Big White Monday morning. Any clue as to why we may need to wait several days to be able to consume bananas?
You and 71 others Like this post
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

LANDM wrote:Any clue as to why we may need to wait several days to be able to consume bananas?

Story: According to Japanese Scientific Research, full ripe banana with dark patches on yellow skin produces a substance called TNF (Tumor Necrosis Factor) which has the ability to combat abnormal cells. The more darker patches it has the higher will be its immunity enhancement quality; Hence, the riper the banana the better the anti-cancer quality. Yellow skin banana with dark spots on it is 8x more effective in enhancing the property of white blood cells than green skin version.

Eating 1-2 banana/s a day increases immunity.

Hoax or Fact: Fact.

http://www.hoaxorfact.com/Health/full-r ... ancer.html

Return to “Canada”