CRTC is a joke

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: CRTC is a joke

Post by GordonH »

dontrump wrote:what I first expected was that you would start off with say a $20 12 station basic package and you could add WHATEVER channel u want for like $1.95 or so assuming the carrier offered that channel
Not so lots of single channels are only still available in packages and so what the CRTC set out to do has failed and failed miserable
In others words there still is no pick and pay channel selection in the real true sense of the word

that's why iam going with the http://www.freetvbox.ca/

Pick & pay takes effect December 01, 2016
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

dontrump wrote:what I first expected was that you would start off with say a $20 12 station basic package and you could add WHATEVER channel u want for like $1.95 or so assuming the carrier offered that channel

I"m not sure where this expectation arose, but its not consistent with the mandate from the CRTC. Its strange that so many assumed making a $25 package available would magically lower everyone's bills.
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

$25 (Shaw Cable) for the local channels, the main networks, commercial-free music channels, etc., along with an electronic guide and the ability to record programs for viewing at your convenience is a pretty good deal.

With only a few exceptions, we will no longer be compelled to pay for subscription channels we don't want, and although the set-top boxes will not be supplied to basic package subs, they are readily and inexpensively available on the second-hand market. I've already cut back to the basic package and will wait to see what kind of channel selection I can build when pick and pay comes into effect in Dec. Until then, I'll just have to get by with the networks and Netflix; not exactly a hardship.

Arguably, the CRTC stumbled by allowing channel bundling to continue in any form, as that encourages BDUs to overcharge for individual channels. They also failed to recognize that the ability to connect is not a luxury. We should be moving toward a system that would assure basic internet access to everyone in the country.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

dontrump wrote:
that's why iam going with the http://www.freetvbox.ca/

You can buy a similar box for almost $100 cheaper than that.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Rosemary1 wrote:Just compared the $25 skinny package channels and others I currently have from my cable provider. To select only additional channels I really want from the tiers I now have to pay for it will cost me a lot more especially if I factor into it my internet that is now part of my bundle. So for now will just stay with what I've got.

Same here, for now.
Which, after all the hikes we've had over the last while, is probably what they're hoping.
But we are doing a lot more streaming this month, with a Shomi share that our son is paying for, and with several sporting championships running on the net.
So ee'll see what the guage looks like on the month-end internet consumption, and go from there.

I like the dontrump and Bsuds TV box thingy and would like to look into that if you guys have anything more you could post, please.

LOL I still got my rabbit-ears in a box somewhere too, and I used to 'pirate'' cable from the box in the alley way back in the good old days.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Just find streaming online and use Chromecast to watch on your TV, its about $45 @ Best Buy.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Until netflix runs out of good shows for $8/month, I'm good.

$25 month x 12 months x 10 years is still outrageously expensive when I can use that cashola to buy a lot of stuff.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

Why all the crying ? You have a choice go with it or not, it is your choice what you want to do, some of you should get a life.

Return to “Canada”