Trudeau celebrates Earth Hour upping CF

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Trudeau celebrates Earth Hour upping CF

Post by The Green Barbarian »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:I get that. As you and I are getting older we need a point of reference. As long as you remember that's the main thing. :D

that's a great point. I wonder what loony tune Enviro-nut day is on Stalin's b-day? :D
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

The Green Barbarian wrote:I wonder what loony tune Enviro-nut day is on Stalin's b-day? :D

Close enough. Exactly one week prior. International Mountain Day, December 11.

List of environmental dates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_environmental_dates
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
GangstaTurtle
Fledgling

Post by GangstaTurtle »

rustled wrote:LOL. Well, this simply highlights another tactic employed by those who would hold themselves up as examples of how the rest of the world should behave: Much too busy defending your position to examine your own actions.

Is it really so difficult for you to see where you've posted something you wrote as though I had written it?

I suppose self-righteous indignation can blind even those with the best of intentions. All in all, I think this thread is an excellent example of how unhelpful Earth Hour can be.

You could have just explained exactly what I typed that bothered you instead of of throwing demeaning words at me.

I most certainly do not think my actions are shining examples of how the world should behave. All I've said - or at least attempted to say - is that Earth hour can make people be introspective and think about how their actions are impacting the planet. It's quite obviously not a panacea, it's quite obviously not the best method of securing the planet's safety, it's just one thing that can help at least a tiny amount.

There's no self-righteous indignation on my part (although I do have a gigantic problem with people like GB spewing his bully nonsense everywhere.) I have no beef with you whatsoever. You stated you think Earth Hour is pretty much meaningless because better tactics should be taken / used. I asked what you would do differently and you still haven't answered me.

Why exactly is this thread an excellent example of how unhelpful Earth Hour can be? From what I can see, over half of the posts are from people calling it useless and saying better things can be done, but then not explaining what these better things are. Then there are ignorant posts about Trudeau, selfies, and rants about how climate change is a myth.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I'm okay with Earth Hour, and used to participate in the past. I think it's an excellent time to discuss and debate what direction we should be going in terms of energy use and conservation.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Glacier wrote:I think it's an excellent time to discuss and debate what direction we should be going in terms of energy use and conservation.

then they should hold this idiotic "hour" when there isn't a hockey game on. Didn't the boneheads who came up with this idea realize that Saturday night in winter is about the worst possible time to ask Canadians to sit in the dark and talk about fairy tales?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

GangstaTurtle wrote:
You could have just explained exactly what I typed that bothered you instead of of throwing demeaning words at me.

LOL - Rustled is just about the politest and nicest poster on C-net, next to possibly Urbane. The fact that you are pulling this guilt schtick with her trying to accuse her of "demeaning" you is just so over the top ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as some dolts who immediately jump to the bullying card whenever someone posts something that offends their delicate sensibilities, which would be even more ridiculous and even you wouldn't stoop that low...

(although I do have a gigantic problem with people like GB spewing his bully nonsense everywhere.).

Whoops I spoke too soon. Sigh.

Anyway, as I said, I don't mind if people want to sit in the dark and congratulate themselves on what great caring perfect little Justin Trudeau wannabes they are. Good for them. I'd rather watch hockey and celebrate Human Achievement Hour, with a nice frosty electrically cooled brewski in front of me, preferably crafted and shipped all the way from New Zealand. :D
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

The Green Barbarian wrote:then they should hold this idiotic "hour" when there isn't a hockey game on. Didn't the boneheads who came up with this idea realize that Saturday night in winter is about the worst possible time to ask Canadians to sit in the dark and talk about fairy tales?

Turn off the lights doesn't mean turn off the TV. :D
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:Turn off the lights doesn't mean turn off the TV. :D

ohhhh...where were you on Saturday night?!! :130:

GangstaTurtle
Fledgling

Post by GangstaTurtle »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Almost as ridiculous as some dolts who immediately jump to the bullying card whenever someone posts something that offends their delicate sensibilities, which would be even more ridiculous and even you wouldn't stoop that low...

Hmm, I have to wonder why there are apparently so many people jumping to the "bullying card" that you've actually noticed a trend? Could it possibly be because there's a poster here who along with his best buds constantly gangs up on people and ridicules them when their views don't 100% align with their own?

I'm playing no guilt-schtick, I just generally don't like calling people names and when I see people try to put me down in such a fashion I point it out. If I put words in rustled's mouth that honestly wasn't my intention and I do apologize. But I'm not getting into some silly battle about who is self-righteous, who is playing whatever card, who is this insult, who is that insult - it leads nowhere. This kind of thing is why I stop posting on forums periodically.

Obviously there was some kind of communication error between me and rustled. I've said my piece, she's said hers. I'm out,
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

GangstaTurtle wrote:
Hmm, I have to wonder why there are apparently so many people jumping to the "bullying card" that you've actually noticed a trend? ,

yes, I've noticed a trend where a poster has lost the argument, and pulls this word out when they know they've been beaten. It's actually quite common. Almost as much as invoking Hitler.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

GangstaTurtle wrote:...Why exactly is this thread an excellent example of how unhelpful Earth Hour can be? ...

Well, in this thread, you have shown it's more satisfying for you to rail against my posts than to make any attempt to read them objectively. You've refused to go back and examine your own posts (and beliefs about me) for errors. Why? Primarily because I don't value Earth Hour the way you do.

And even now, instead of simply acknowledging that your erroneous quote was plain to see, you complain that I should have explained it better. It would take so little effort on your part to make that right. Instead, you continue to focus on what others are doing.

This pretty closely parallels the behaviour of those who take satisfaction from getting emotional and railing against the beliefs and activities of those they find environmentally offensive, while failing to examine their own beliefs and actions.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:Turn off the lights doesn't mean turn off the TV. :D

The Green Barbarian wrote:ohhhh...where were you on Saturday night?!! :130:

LOL. That was fun. Thanks for sharing it.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
then they should hold this idiotic "hour" when there isn't a hockey game on. Didn't the boneheads who came up with this idea realize that Saturday night in winter is about the worst possible time to ask Canadians to sit in the dark and talk about fairy tales?

Winter?

Astronomical winter ended March 19th, and meteorological winter ended February 29th
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Speaking of which, this past winter was one second short of tying the record for the longest meteorological winter on record.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

But it was a leap year. There was a whole day that probably DID make it the coldest meteorological winter ever. So much for globule warming. Myths debunked! Put that in your leftist pipes, Suzuki fans, and smoke it.

Return to “Canada”