Open Letter to Senator Daniel Lang and Honourable Ralph Good

kdobranski

Open Letter to Senator Daniel Lang and Honourable Ralph Good

Post by kdobranski »

Dear Senator Daniel Lang and Honourable Ralph Goodale.

I recently came upon a transcript dated March 9, 2016 of the Subcommittee on Veterans Affairs and the Standing Senate Committee on National Security and Defense. In that transcript the value the Auxiliary Constables to the community was expressed. I am happy to see this issue had reached this level of government.

I have served as an Auxiliary RCMP Constable in Kelowna, BC since 2001. We are a well-trained force, well integrated into the RCMP operations, and in BC have the largest number of Auxiliaries in the country.
What happened to Const. Wynn and Auxiliary Const. Bond was tragic by any measure, but it’s important to note a couple things with respect to this event. Firstly, no amount of training or weaponry can stop a police officer from being shot at. Most violent interactions are a surprise event during what seems to be a routine activity. It would be unreasonable and unacceptable for police to treat every interaction as high risk and approach in that manner. The public would not accept this, and the citizens who interact with the police would not accept this. Police have to approach every situation with caution, but not to the extent it creates fear or intimidation during the interaction. This expectation in itself exposes all officers to a higher level of risk. Police are expected to walk into an unknown situation, giving each individual the benefit of the doubt, and reacting only when warranted. This put officers at a disadvantage against those who wish to do harm to police.

Policing by nature is difficult and dangerous work, and people who have not served are challenged to understand it. However, police gain safety in numbers, and the more officers that are present, the less chance someone will try to act in a manner to harm police. The RCMP model of one member per car puts the RCMP at great risk. Auxiliaries will never eliminate the risk, but they are a key tool towards mitigating it. The nature of policing is risky, and regardless of what preventative measures are taken, things will go wrong, eventually. No funeral is ever the last, and everyone knows that.

One could argue that Auxiliary and Reserve programs across the country are "unofficially" a cost effective way to increase presence and provide the "second member" optics to people who may have a reason to do harm. It’s hard to measure how much violence has been prevented due to the presence of an Auxiliary. However, common sense dictates more is always better than less. One can easily conclude that having Auxiliaries working with RCMP members may and probably have prevented violence towards police numerous times.

We have programs all across this country where volunteers are put at risk. For example, most municipalities continue to operate their own Reserve constable programs, and volunteer firefighters are spread out all across the country facing similar risks to their safety. It would be ludicrous to entertain the suggestion to disband volunteer firefighters. The armed forces are filled with ordinary citizens, who join the reserves, train, and face risk of death or serious bodily harm if called upon to serve their country in a theatre. We as a nation accept the reality that people willingly take risks to provide needed services to the country. It baffles me how the thinking around police volunteers within the RCMP is so much different.

This country is filled with people who love their communities, and want to play a role keeping them safe. Auxiliary constables are not ordinary people; they are extraordinary people, ultimate volunteers, who want to contribute in a positive and meaningful way. Auxiliary constables come from many walks of life. They are farmers, computer techs, doctors, nurses, business owners, pastors, etc. We are high quality, intelligent and community minded people, providing a valuable resource to our police. We know the dangers, and accept the risks freely. The answer is not to disband and de-police, the answer is to embrace the program and those who participate by supporting, strengthening and expanding it. Give us the best training and tools so we can bring the upmost value to our police services.

Most auxiliaries I have met over the years all ask for the same thing. Comprehensive training, the proper intervention tools to assist the RCMP as well as protect ourselves and the public, and in the event we fall during duty, we ask our families are taken care of.

Yes, we are volunteers, but we are peace officers and we wear our uniform proud. We see and experience things that most people can’t imagine. We are aware of the risks of our role and accept everything that comes with it. We never hesitate and always step up when needed, no questions asked. Yes, we do it all for free. I don’t think there is anything more Canadian than that.

Kim Dobranski
Kelowna, BC
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Open Letter to Senator Daniel Lang and Honourable Ralph

Post by rustled »

Very well written, Kim. Is it in response to this?
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... h-mounties
I hadn't noticed this change when it made the news. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
kdobranski

Post by kdobranski »

Yes, the entire program is being disbanded and replaced with a dumbed down version with no peace officer status, and no uniforms.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Bravo Kim Dobranski. You have said it very well. We live in times where decision makers at the highest levels seem to have lost touch with reality in my opinion. Me thinks the decision made in respect to Auxiliary Constables within the RCMP could best be described as "throwing the baby out with the bath water". Of course, this is not the first dumb decision that has been made in respect to this outstanding program and the outstanding people that volunteer to serve as Auxiliaries. Is there anything more annoying than cover your *bleep* decisions???

Return to “Canada”