Cop dog bites

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Cop dog bites

Post by maryjane48 »

"Police Dog's Fate Undecided After Calgary Boy Attacked" - http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/04/04 ... 11284.html

well tough call . i personaly believe dogs should be professionaly and un biasedly examined to see if they can be better tempered trained , but we all know if this was a pitbull what the sentance would already be . and one must keep in mind the person that was bit was not any type of suspect
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Cop dog bites

Post by dontrump »

cop screwed up here did not lock dog up securely lucky the kid never got hurt worse than he did
whatever one does do not blame the dog there trained to kill so blame the operator(cop)
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

dontrump wrote:cop screwed up here did not lock dog up securely lucky the kid never got hurt worse than he did
whatever one does do not blame the dog there trained to kill so blame the operator(cop)

They aren't trained to kill.

Subdue with authority yes......however there was no need for this kid to be subdued and there is fault to be determined. (I can see the dogs confusion....yet his training should have prevented it)

At the least no dog of this type should be allowed back into this neighborhood as long as this kid lives there due to the trauma he has endured.

Compensation, which should occur will have to be evaluated and guilt administered to the right parties overall.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

The dogs are not trained to kill.
The dogs are taught to catch, bite, and hold.
It seems like the dog did what he was trained to do, but he did it to an innocent person.
The dog will be returned to duty.
The cop will be scolded for his carelessness.
A considerable sum of taxpayers money will be used to alleviate pain and suffering.
Black Dogs Matter
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

dogspoiler wrote:The dogs are not trained to kill.
The dogs are taught to catch, bite, and hold.
It seems like the dog did what he was trained to do, but he did it to an innocent person.
The dog will be returned to duty.
The cop will be scolded for his carelessness.
A considerable sum of taxpayers money will be used to alleviate pain and suffering.

You are correct to a degree.

One shortfall, he was not commanded to react and did. Other then that the dog id as he was trained to do. Interesting point would be how did the K9 getaway. That is the question, prevent any further negative action by this dog.

Most of the POLICE dogs I worked with, wouldn't randomly attack unless you came into their space be it yard or vehicle.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

The fact he was not commanded may likely mean he never return to active duty as well as clearly the training wasn't sticking quite right with this animal, but future risk of repeat will have to be determined as he would then still be an "at risk" animal anywhere else.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yea it sucks that this happened .
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

anyone person that truly believes that these dogs could not kill a person are living under a mushroom
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dontrump wrote:anyone person that truly believes that these dogs could not kill a person are living under a mushroom

There's a world of difference between that statement and your original statement of these dogs being trained to kill ...

dontrump wrote:cop screwed up here did not lock dog up securely lucky the kid never got hurt worse than he did
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

dontrump wrote:anyone person that truly believes that these dogs could not kill a person are living under a mushroom

Any med to large dog who still has his teeth could kill. A small percentage would kill, given the chance. A trained police dog is less likely to either go off when unwarranted (i.e. not in pursuit, usually sent by handler or handler is threatened somehow), and when they attack it is in a specific way (not going for the jugular, not taking out chunks), bite and hold (not tear to pieces). If I was going to be attacked, I would rather it was a trained dog, than some miserable abused escaped mutt. I have taken an attack from a trained GSD, and it was painful, but not life threatening. (I was trespassing as a child, so entirely my fault). I came out a little better than the boy in this case, because at least I knew enough not to run, but that is not his fault at any rate. It must have been a love bite in my case because I have admired that breed before and ever since.

In this case, I suppose the public will never know why the handler did not have control of his dog (oops). The dog must have had a wee glitch in his training, but certainly is too valuable to be put down, and could serve in some other capacity. I hope the boy is recovering, and certainly should not have to worry about this type of dog wandering in his neighborhood not under the handler's control. Upside is, the boy should get compensation enough to put him through a few years of university.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Veovis wrote:The fact he was not commanded may likely mean he never return to active duty as well as clearly the training wasn't sticking quite right with this animal, but future risk of repeat will have to be determined as he would then still be an "at risk" animal anywhere else.

Chances are he will have to be re-certified and tested to ensure he is in control. This dog, has already proven it self as it would not be on the street. Due to it's recent bite there will have to be more training, dog and handler.

I once picked up our dog, not knowing it was on the loose. I gave it several commands, and told the other officer what a well trained dog this was and was surprised the owner had not reported it missing. Shortly there after, the handler called in his dog had escaped.

That dog, very well trained was what was referred to as "dirty" was the kind no other handlers wanted to quarry for as he often let go of the arm guard and bit crotch!

Hope the time and efforts are not lost over this incident. Good dogs are hard to find.

Return to “Canada”