Liberal Budget - Financial Data Released

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Liberal Budget - Financial Data Released

Post by rustled »

hobbyguy wrote:...Arguably a much better resume than Harper, and with real world experience.

All very well and good, but how do you feel about all this withholding of information?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Perhaps a political learning curve. Many businesses do not budget beyond one year, and of those that do, the tendency is to be rather sketchy with the numbers.

This budget was one that I expected would be driven by election promises and perhaps not reflective of the long run. The next one is where "the rubber hits the road". Although there is one aspect of this budget that I see as very positive, and that is that the government operating budget is flatlined for 4 years.

But yes, I would like to see more detailed numbers, because those tell you the "how" of where things are going.

That said, having done it myself, going into a different operation and first planning, then working out the finer details to turn it around, I can understand a little sketchiness in the numbers at this point. Obviously, this is on a much larger scale. It will take Morneau some time to "get his arms around it".
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Omnitheo wrote: And as opposed to Harper, who also had very little real world experience in most subjects government has responsibility over, ...
hobbyguy wrote: Arguably a much better resume than Harper, and with real world experience.

To be fair, I understand by all accounts Stephen did an excellent job in the mail room.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

rustled wrote: ... , but how do you feel about all this withholding of information?

Not very impressed to be sure.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

rustled wrote: ... , but how do you feel about all this withholding of information?

Ka-El wrote:Not very impressed to be sure.

Do you attribute it to being "new", as hobbyguy seems to? The CBC doesn't seem to think that's what's behind this, though.

Maybe the new government doesn't want it to be too obvious they don't really know yet what they're doing?

Seems to me it's not good for the Canadian dollar to have secrecy that could be construed as a lack of confidence in our budget. I think we ought to be able to see the numbers underpinning the budget, as usual, and have them available for discussion, as usual.

It's troubling that they seem to feel they have something to hide.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

rustled wrote: It's troubling that they seem to feel they have something to hide.

I agree. I can't see it as simply not knowing what they are doing given the experience and expertise available. That being said, maybe current global economic factors do, in fact, have them perplexed. It is troubling that they are hiding information from us. We might has well have re-elected Harper that being the case - although I still expect the Liberal approach will lead to more job creation as opposed to the massive job losses we experienced while Harper was in power. When the next election comes along that is what people are going to be considering. Not whether or not the defict grew, but whether or not they are working.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Ka-El wrote:I agree. I can't see it as simply not knowing what they are doing given the experience and expertise available. That being said, maybe current global economic factors do, in fact, have them perplexed. It is troubling that they are hiding information from us. We might has well have re-elected Harper that being the case - although I still expect the Liberal approach will lead to more job creation as opposed to the massive job losses we experienced while Harper was in power. When the next election comes along that is what people are going to be considering. Not whether or not the defict grew, but whether or not they are working.

I expect you're right. I'm most influenced by the candidates in my riding (choosing the best from among them), but I suppose if one of us was out of work, and I felt the current governing party could/should have made a difference in that, it would certainly figure in.

Return to “Canada”