Corruption and Greed in Attawapiskat

Graham Adder
Guru

Re: Corruption and Greed in Attawapiskat

Post by Graham Adder »

zzontar wrote:Could you please give me a link explaining how natives have no choice but to live on a reserve seeing as you want to talk about reality today?

Nobody said they "have no choice".
Did you do very well in history class?
Front row or back row?
Catch up.
I'll wait.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

zzontar wrote:Edmonton and Winnipeg would be equally as bad if the white man didn't come up with mosquito control. I'm sure the natives there are glad they at least have bug spray and don't have to rely on the native way to get rid of mosquitos

Ummm...
Do you have any idea what was used in the not so distant past to control mosquitoes?
I lived in Manitoba's mosquito country (which is anywhere in Manitoba) in the 70's.
I can tell you from ;personal experience that it was not a blessing.
It was not a program that was well received by many, and to this day not appreciated by most of those subjected.
Do some reading.
Once again, I'll wait while you catch up.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

the truth wrote:any of them can move out, like most of us move one after high school,hell when I turned 18 I moved out with no money and just a full time job, like clint eastwood said, excuses are like a holes ,everyone has one

What your ignorance is stopping you from seeing however, is that not everyone has the same skill set. Not everyone was raised in a society that offered support, strength and courage to their children.
Not many of the Non-Natives I know were raised in a community that was designed to keep them from advancing, growing or fostering self worth for themselves or their community.
There are so many issues at hand that you will term as excuses. Your lack of understanding, or ignorance shines bright at times like this. You could stand to learn a lot by simply opening your mind and heart, but alas that ego. It's HUGE.
So, we have many communities with poorly educated youth that have no sense of self worth, dignity or value left. They know they are considered less than by people like you, "the truth" and you as well "zzontar". You will likely speak in defense of my accusation, but your words when spoken freely show much more about your character than your words of defense will ever carry. Save your fingers. These youth are raised in abusive environments by parents that often suffer substance abuse. They are taught by adults with torn values and shredded morals. The people need help to realign themselves and find some sense of balance, but they cannot do so alone. That's where good people come in to play. Good people with open hearts, minds and outreached hands. They lift and support better than a cross your heart. They see the varied and vast differences between the cultures and seek to find constructive ways to bridge gaps, rather than shut the people down that need their help. You see, not everyone is so ignorant, self centered or egotistical as those that speak from the higher perch of a soap box

Let's take a look at your quote.
Excuses are like holes. Everyone has one.

I'd like to offer:
Excuses are like armpits. Everyone has a couple and they both stink.

Now, regarding doing what is right. Offering constructive input and lending an outstretched hand.
Regarding opening your heart and your mind, so you can see through the hate, ignorance and narrow mindedness.
Regarding letting go of your past fears and look forward to a future that you play a positive part in.
What are your two excuses, and do they stink?
squirt10

Post by squirt10 »

Greed, by who? The diamond mining co. down the road?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Graham Adder wrote:Once again, I'll wait while you catch up.

I am caught up. You, on the other hand, keep dwelling on the past.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Graham Adder wrote:Nobody said they "have no choice".
Did you do very well in history class?
Front row or back row?
Catch up.
I'll wait.

You wrote
So, we now see that the Non-Native has made a choice to live there, and therefore made a choice to accept what was available for health care. Is that person going to have much to complain about?
No. They made the choice to move there, and carve out there existence.
The Native that did not have a choice but to live there, as he was told, trained, tormented and tricked into doing so with promises stacked a mile high, is now expected (by your standard) to accept the lack of medical attention payed to their people/community.

Ah, I get it, still dwelling on the past.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

If by dwelling in the past you mean yesterday, then yes I am.
If by dwelling in the past you mean five minutes ago, then yes I am.
Gawdayum, open your eyes.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Graham Adder wrote:If by dwelling in the past you mean yesterday, then yes I am.
If by dwelling in the past you mean five minutes ago, then yes I am.
Gawdayum, open your eyes.

Great, then post links about how 5 minutes ago natives had no choice but to stay on reserves. Oh right, you can't... well keep posting how I don't know anything without anything to back it up besides insults then, I must admit you're great at that.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I'll make it even easier. You said
The Native that did not have a choice but to live there, as he was told, trained, tormented and tricked into doing so with promises stacked a mile high
so maybe you can explain where that happened 5 minutes ago.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Graham, I'm guessing you had a great childhood compared to the natives you talk about, don't you think that makes a difference?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Graham I see where you are coming from but I believe you hold a huge grudge that you can't get past. I have worked in many areas in western Canada with some of the poorest reserves. I have seen what has happened and what is happening. There were bad times for sure but the people themselves are the ones that have to want to change that. No one can help them until they do. I have seen so many successful people come off bad reserves and actually many successful ones on bad reserves. I worked with and befriended many of them. They were very willing to help others but many did not truly want it. They wanted change but not the hard work required to change. I worked with any number of First Nations people and taught them what was expected of them when they got a good job on a large construction site. I saved many of their jobs numerous times trying to get them to learn proper work habits. I'm sorry to say that a majority just were not truly interested in the changes necessary to hold down the job. Most of the ones that were still hold good well paying jobs today.

Just recently I have made a new friend who originally came from one of those bad northern areas. I knew the father and brother a bit but never met this person previously. We knew a lot of the same people both successful and unsuccessful and have discussed the opportunities that were available. I'm definitely not saying it is all roses but many are going to have to seriously "want" to change their whole life or all the help in the world is not going to help them. I helped one young family get a place in the city and drove him back and forth to the plane north while she got her education and then they went back up to the reserve where she now teaches and he now has a steady job with Hydro. In discussions with them and others i have been told that they are shunned by some on the reserve because they have jobs and money even to the stage of being harassed. This kind of attitude has to change before there can be any successful change in the overall situation. It is time for the people themselves to take action locally at that time and that time only will any real positive change take place. For change to take place it is just as important for the people themselves to make changes as it is for governments. Sitting back complaining about the past and waiting for someone else to make it happen will never work.

Not trying to compare myself in any way but I was brought up out in the country with a small one room school house and one teacher for all grades. We took turns getting to school early and making sure the oil burner was going and everything was warm. No electricity and no running water we also had to carry that in each day or melt snow. I took 2 years of high school by correspondence and then went to town for the rest. Boarding in town much of the time because the roads were blocked in the winter time. I left home immediately upon graduation to get a job and supported myself ever since. I furthered my education at my own cost when I had three kids and a wife at home. This same type of thing is available to First Nations people. Yes it is harder but I have seen many do it very successfully. The best way to change is to create the change yourself because seldom will someone else do it for you.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

great post smurf, about says it all and couvers it all for me also
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Smurf wrote:Graham I see where you are coming from but I believe you hold a huge grudge that you can't get past. I have worked in many areas in western Canada with some of the poorest reserves. I have seen what has happened and what is happening. There were bad times for sure but the people themselves are the ones that have to want to change that. No one can help them until they do. I have seen so many successful people come off bad reserves and actually many successful ones on bad reserves. I worked with and befriended many of them. They were very willing to help others but many did not truly want it. They wanted change but not the hard work required to change. I worked with any number of First Nations people and taught them what was expected of them when they got a good job on a large construction site. I saved many of their jobs numerous times trying to get them to learn proper work habits. I'm sorry to say that a majority just were not truly interested in the changes necessary to hold down the job. Most of the ones that were still hold good well paying jobs today.

Just recently I have made a new friend who originally came from one of those bad northern areas. I knew the father and brother a bit but never met this person previously. We knew a lot of the same people both successful and unsuccessful and have discussed the opportunities that were available. I'm definitely not saying it is all roses but many are going to have to seriously "want" to change their whole life or all the help in the world is not going to help them. I helped one young family get a place in the city and drove him back and forth to the plane north while she got her education and then they went back up to the reserve where she now teaches and he now has a steady job with Hydro. In discussions with them and others i have been told that they are shunned by some on the reserve because they have jobs and money even to the stage of being harassed. This kind of attitude has to change before there can be any successful change in the overall situation. It is time for the people themselves to take action locally at that time and that time only will any real positive change take place. For change to take place it is just as important for the people themselves to make changes as it is for governments. Sitting back complaining about the past and waiting for someone else to make it happen will never work.

Not trying to compare myself in any way but I was brought up out in the country with a small one room school house and one teacher for all grades. We took turns getting to school early and making sure the oil burner was going and everything was warm. No electricity and no running water we also had to carry that in each day or melt snow. I took 2 years of high school by correspondence and then went to town for the rest. Boarding in town much of the time because the roads were blocked in the winter time. I left home immediately upon graduation to get a job and supported myself ever since. I furthered my education at my own cost when I had three kids and a wife at home. This same type of thing is available to First Nations people. Yes it is harder but I have seen many do it very successfully. The best way to change is to create the change yourself because seldom will someone else do it for you.

No grudge. I just don't have tolerance for ignorance, hate or racism.
From my above post. I think it answers to all you have said.

Graham Adder wrote:...not everyone has the same skill set. Not everyone was raised in a society that offered support, strength and courage to their children.
Not many of the Non-Natives I know were raised in a community that was designed to keep them from advancing, growing or fostering self worth for themselves or their community.
There are so many issues at hand.
So, we have many communities with poorly educated youth that have no sense of self worth, dignity or value left. They know they are considered less than .
These youth are raised in abusive environments by parents that often suffer substance abuse. They are taught by adults with torn values and shredded morals. The people need help to realign themselves and find some sense of balance, but they cannot do so alone. That's where good people come in to play. Good people with open hearts, minds and outreached hands. They lift and support better than a cross your heart. They see the varied and vast differences between the cultures and seek to find constructive ways to bridge gaps, rather than shut the people down that need their help.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

The Corruption and Greed in Attawapiskat is almost as bad as the corruption and greed in the House of Commons in Ottawa.>>>
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

that's for sure..............
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Canada”