Corruption and Greed in Attawapiskat

zzontar
Guru

Re: Corruption and Greed in Attawapiskat

Post by zzontar »

^^ From that story:
Nishnawbe Aski Nation declared a public health emergency in February because of what their leaders called the "needless deaths and suffering" caused by the lack of access to even the most basic health services.

How would someone right next to the reserve have better access to health services?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

zzontar wrote:How would someone right next to the reserve have better access to health services?

I doubt they would. What makes you think that they would?
What makes you think that is what they're stating in the article?
Am I missing something here?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

zzontar wrote:^^ From that story:
    "Nishnawbe Aski Nation declared a public health emergency in February because of what their leaders called the "needless deaths and suffering" caused by the lack of access to even the most basic health services."

How would someone right next to the reserve have better access to health services?

I wondered, too.

It looks like they're referring to relatively remote, underserviced communities (although my geography's shakey in that region), which is a problem for anyone living in remote, underserviced communities, especially where there's no resource-based employment to support the usual health facilities (small and understaffed though they are). Understaffing is a big issue for all remote communities, even those with otherwise reasonable standards of living, because there are so few colleagues with whom health care professionals can share their burden.

The more overwhelming a small community's problems, the more difficult it is for the professionals to work there without burning out. In these cases, is it more practical to bring health care in to remote areas, or to relocate people? That's a thorny issue. But how much money will it take to reverse the problem where it stands? And where do you find enough health care professionals when we have too few even in "desirable" areas of the country? Those are thorny issues, too.

But perhaps in the First Nations communities this problem is compounded by jurisdictional issues? This story suggests jurisdictional issues: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/first-nations-health-emergency-1.3460198 but doesn't seem to explain them.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

http://www.bcmj.org/article/northern-rural-isolated this goes on every were across Canada not just attawapiskat
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Graham Adder wrote:I doubt they would. What makes you think that they would?
What makes you think that is what they're stating in the article?
Am I missing something here?

If you don't hear any non-natives in the same area complaining about their access to health care, why wouldn't the natives want what they have as far as health care?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby the truth » 53 minutes ago

http://www.bcmj.org/article/northern-rural-isolated this goes on every were across Canada not just attawapiskat

Having spent time in most of the BC Communities mentioned I could not agree more with the author. Flying in and out on a case by case basis is the only reasonable option for most such communities in B.C. Either the Dr or Officer has to fly in or the patient or victim fly out to a larger center. Obtaining KNOWLEDGEABLE counselling for sexual assault victims was always next to impossible, meaning that the child or child turned adult had to continue to live in their painful world, sometimes with the offender living in the same community. Family loyalties were the biggest impediment to any form of justice or change.

IMO unresolved child abuse is one of the biggest impediments to change. The Blue Bead Ceremony, such as that in Ahousaht and Sweat Lodges as used by a number of communities are too few and far between to be useful in a macro sense.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

the truth wrote:http://www.bcmj.org/article/northern-rural-isolated this goes on every were across Canada not just attawapiskat

Yes, good article but somewhat out of date. There have been some good improvements made to remote BC villages since that article was written in 2003. Most small outposts now have well equipped first aid stations with beds that are staffed 24/7 by two nurse practitioners. Nurse practitioners are trained and licensed to do most everything GP's can do, some nurse practitioners are probably more knowledgeable than some GP's because many nurse practitioners are former emergency room RN's. Telegraph Creek now has a first aid post that would put many clinics to shame, along with two nurse practitioners and a doctor from Dease Lake that comes to Telegraph Creek every Wednesday.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby Hurtlander » Today, 2:16 pm

Yes, good article but somewhat out of date. There have been some good improvements made to remote BC villages since that article was written in 2003. Most small outposts now have well equipped first aid stations with beds that are staffed 24/7 by two nurse practitioners. Nurse practitioners are trained and licensed to do most everything GP's can do, some nurse practitioners are probably more knowledgeable than some GP's because many nurse practitioners are former emergency room RN's. Telegraph Creek now has a first aid post that would put many clinics to shame, along with two nurse practitioners and a doctor from Dease Lake that comes to Telegraph Creek every Wednesday.

Good updated post Hurtlander. It is good to know that advances, although slow, are being made in B.C. I suspect that family loyalties/pressure and the lack of KNOWLEDGEABLE people in the communities are still serving to prohibit headway being made regarding child sexual assault. Until that issue has been dealt with little will change regarding the quality of life in the various remote villages.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Donald G wrote: I suspect that family loyalties/pressure and the lack of KNOWLEDGEABLE people in the communities are still serving to prohibit headway being made regarding child sexual assault. Until that issue has been dealt with little will change regarding the quality of life in the various remote villages.

You apparently aren't aware that advancements have been made in the quality of life in remote villages since you were a rookie Cst back in 1968...The two Mounties, the two nurse practitioners, the band social workers, are all equipped to deal with and handle child sexual assault. Child molesters go to prison and children from severely dysfunctional families are put in foster care, just like in the big city..
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

zzontar wrote:If you don't hear any non-natives in the same area complaining about their access to health care, why wouldn't the natives want what they have as far as health care?

Are you in a movie, playing in your head?
I'm not seeing this non-native guy you're asking about.
I can't really imagine too many non-natives wanting to live right beside that mosquito infested bog. Maybe I'm wrong.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Graham Adder wrote:Are you in a movie, playing in your head?
I'm not seeing this non-native guy you're asking about.
I can't really imagine too many non-natives wanting to live right beside that mosquito infested bog. Maybe I'm wrong.

There are many people on reserves complaining about the same thing yet the non-natives living in close proximity don't seem to have the same complaints, so why wouldn't the natives want to have the same health care? In case you haven't travelled much, you can find mosquitoes aplenty in many other places that non-natives choose to live in and make the best of it... Edmonton and Winnipeg for example.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

zzontar wrote:There are many people on reserves complaining about the same thing yet the non-natives living in close proximity don't seem to have the same complaints, so why wouldn't the natives want to have the same health care? In case you haven't travelled much, you can find mosquitoes aplenty in many other places that non-natives choose to live in and make the best of it... Edmonton and Winnipeg for example.

So, there is no person you are talking about. What you are in FACT talking about is a fictional character in your imagination that fits into an environment in your imagined scenario.
I'll play along.
If I understand correct, you're asking why the Natives living ON reserve aren't happy with (or "don't want") the same health care as the Non-Native living just outside of the Reserve boundaries. I'll further assume that in this fictional scenario, we're dealing with Non-Natives that have no complaints regarding the health care offered to them.
Now, since we're attempting to make this a "real world" scenario, let's assume as well that the Non-Native was NOT forced to live there, but rather chose to for whatever reason they see fit.
Let's also assume that being a "real world" scenario, that the Natives were in fact forced to live there.
So, we now see that the Non-Native has made a choice to live there, and therefore made a choice to accept what was available for health care. Is that person going to have much to complain about?
No. They made the choice to move there, and carve out there existence.
The Native that did not have a choice but to live there, as he was told, trained, tormented and tricked into doing so with promises stacked a mile high, is now expected (by your standard) to accept the lack of medical attention payed to their people/community. Does that seem right to you?
Was I correct in my assuming?
Steer me straight if I missed anything.

I've traveled extensively across the USA and from one coast to the other in Canada. I've lived most of the way across the country. I've got a pretty good idea about mosquitoes. lol Let me tell you that Winterpig nor Eggmonton have anything on Attawapiskat when it comes to blood sucking Pterodactylctils flying around in the dank season (which lasts from april to october in Attawapiskat). Aside from the Mossies, I'm also expressing that there isn't much to draw a person to Attawapiskat. Not much for industry or sustenance. Hard to imagine this imaginary person, but I've done my best.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Could you please give me a link explaining how natives have no choice but to live on a reserve seeing as you want to talk about reality today?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Graham Adder wrote:I've traveled extensively across the USA and from one coast to the other in Canada. I've lived most of the way across the country. I've got a pretty good idea about mosquitoes. lol Let me tell you that Winterpig nor Eggmonton have anything on Attawapiskat when it comes to blood sucking Pterodactylctils flying around in the dank season (which lasts from april to october in Attawapiskat)..

Edmonton and Winnipeg would be equally as bad if the white man didn't come up with mosquito control. I'm sure the natives there are glad they at least have bug spray and don't have to rely on the native way to get rid of mosquitos
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

zzontar wrote:Could you please give me a link explaining how natives have no choice but to live on a reserve seeing as you want to talk about reality today?

any of them can move out, like most of us move one after high school,hell when I turned 18 I moved out with no money and just a full time job, like clint eastwood said, excuses are like a holes ,everyone has one
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Canada”