Is Justin Trudeau cheating on HIS taxes?

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Is Justin Trudeau cheating on HIS taxes?

Post by oneh2obabe »

Playing devil's advocate here ... does Harper use any of the tax loopholes legally available to every taxpayer? Who knows?

Stephen Harper has an estimated net worth of $5 million.
Justin Trudeau has an estimated net worth of $1.5 million.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

LW_53 said
I sure hope you aren't suggesting people don't abuse the vehicle expenses.

Maintenance, insurance, fuel, registration fees, and lease expense, so in effect pretty much all of it as long as you declare it a dedicated work vehicle.

I'm well aware what the rules say, just as I'm aware many tend to interpret them somewhat loosely, something that wouldn't show up unless they got audited.

If you don't like it, and if you have any proof at all that these people are writing off their vehicles in this manner (and I would be very surprised if they told you that they were doing that), then report them to the CRA. If you don't have any proof, then you are simply speculating. Maybe they are simply mortgaged to the hilt trying to show off, in which case they are screwed later in life for not preparing for retirement. Or maybe they simply inherited money and want their toys.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

So in essence you're speculating that everyone is on the up and up, just as I figured.

No one ever works under the table either. LOL
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Gone_Fishin wrote:
No, Justin drives a 1957 Mercedes worth over $1 million. Does he need a 1957 Mercedes worth that much? Why should he get to write it off and reduce his tax bill when a Malibu would do? It's rather interesting that Stephen Harper drives a 2002 Chev Malibu worth about $5 grand.

I think you segwayed into that rather well, right down to Harper's Malibu, but I don't think that was your intention. :)

Despite how irrelevant that infographic is, I am curious how accurate the information presented on it is.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Gone_Fishin wrote:No, Justin drives a 1957 Mercedes worth over $1 million. Does he need a 1957 Mercedes worth that much? Why should he get to write it off and reduce his tax bill when a Malibu would do? It's rather interesting that Stephen Harper drives a 2002 Chev Malibu worth about $5 grand.

I think you segwayed into that rather well, right down to Harper's Malibu, but I don't think that was your intention. :)

What's your point you're jealous that JT owns a million dollar car?

For starters since he has to travel in a specific vehicle according to protocol, I doubt the Mercedes is even being written off.

Do you have any proof showing otherwise?

As to its worth, good for JT if he can afford to own such a treasure. Again I ask jealous?

It would also be interesting to know details that are missing, such as did he buy it for a million, or did he inherit it from dad for example.

As for my post, it's obvious you know full well what my point was, so it served its purpose. :D

Regarding Harper and his Malibu, good for him, now that he lost his job, that's probably all he can afford to drive. LOL
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:It would also be interesting to know details that are missing, such as did he buy it for a million, or did he inherit it from dad for example.

To date, his shop is responsible for more than 100 complete SL restorations, including the silver Roadster that Justin Trudeau inherited from his PM father Pierre, and four of the 29 alloy-bodied 300 SL Gullwings in existence.
https://magazine.mercedes-benz.ca/on-the-road-again/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

FreeRights wrote: Despite how irrelevant that infographic is, I am curious how accurate the information presented on it is.

It's not just that it is irrelevant. It is deliberately misleading - and to be expected from "news" sources
such as The Rebel and the Sun, and designed to incite angst among the more simple partisan "thinkers".
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Lone Wolf_53 wrote:It would also be interesting to know details that are missing, such as did he buy it for a million, or did he inherit it from dad for example.

oneh2obabe wrote:To date, his shop is responsible for more than 100 complete SL restorations, including the silver Roadster that Justin Trudeau inherited from his PM father Pierre, and four of the 29 alloy-bodied 300 SL Gullwings in existence.
https://magazine.mercedes-benz.ca/on-the-road-again/

Thanks.

I suspected as much but it's always good to have confirmation.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

FreeRights wrote: Despite how irrelevant that infographic is, I am curious how accurate the information presented on it is.

Ka-El wrote:It's not just that it is irrelevant. It is deliberately misleading - and to be expected from "news" sources
such as The Rebel and the Sun, and designed to incite angst among the more simple partisan "thinkers".

Indeed.

What I find most notable, is that sure the Malibu makes it seem as though Harper lives frugally, but then again he hasn't required a private vehicle for all his years as PM, whereas in Justin's case the Mercedes is a keepsake inherited from his father, so most can appreciate why he would want to hang on to that.

The way the graphic is done though, it tries to convey the message that Harper is frugal and Trudeau is extravagant, suggesting that he went out and blew one million dollars on a Mercedes.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol at harper living frugal .
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I just don't see anything inflammatory or negative on either side of that infographic. I can't tell who it's supposed to be casting in a negative light.

I'm kind of thinking the guy who spent much of his working adult life as a teacher knows the issues of the middle class quite well. Possibly better than the guy who spent his time as a political aide and lobbyist. I like them both though.

The bit about the cars only shows that PM Harper isn't a car guy... and that's something I can definitely relate to. On the other hand PM Trudeau drives a car passed down to him by his father... it shows the importance he puts on family and I only wish I had one of my dad's old cars.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Rwede wrote:Trudeau is a rich, Laurentide Elitist. Of course he and his family are using shell companies and holding companies to minimize their taxes.

Harper is a rich, Laurentide Elitist. Of course he and his family are using shell companies and holding companies to minimize their taxes.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Jonrox wrote:I just don't see anything inflammatory or negative on either side of that infographic. I can't tell who it's supposed to be casting in a negative light.

I'm kind of thinking the guy who spent much of his working adult life as a teacher knows the issues of the middle class quite well. Possibly better than the guy who spent his time as a political aide and lobbyist. I like them both though.

The bit about the cars only shows that PM Harper isn't a car guy... and that's something I can definitely relate to. On the other hand PM Trudeau drives a car passed down to him by his father... it shows the importance he puts on family and I only wish I had one of my dad's old cars.

I like them both, too, Jonrox. They seem like decent people to me. But I don't think Trudeau's time as a teacher would have much opportunity to truly understand the issues of the middle class.
According to "The Contender," HuffPost Canada's ebook on Trudeau, he taught math, French, humanities and drama between 1999 and 2001 at Vancouver's elite private school West Point Grey as well as public high school Sir Winston Churchill Secondary.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10/23 ... 72502.html
Wikipedia:
Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School is a public secondary school located in Vancouver, British Columbia. Churchill Secondary is one of two International Baccalaureate schools (along with Britannia Secondary School) and one of three French Immersion secondary schools in Vancouver.

Even if some of your students and some of your colleagues are living middle or lower-middle-class lives, it's never the same as living that way yourself.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

LW53wrote

So in essence you're speculating that everyone is on the up and up, just as I figured.

No one ever works under the table either. LOL

So now you are accusing me for saying something that I clearly did not say. Good way to to try to be respected on this forum. You are the one accusing people in your area of cheating, simply because they drive expensive vehicles. I merely suggested that there could well be alternate reasons for people driving expensive cars, and suggested that you may be speculating. You are the one who said they are writing off the costs of their vehicles. Again, I merely posted something from the CRA web site clearly showing that it is not that easy.

Return to “Canada”