Canadians beg for ransom to be paid

Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Re: Canadians beg for ransom to be paid

Post by Ka-El »

Donald G wrote: I read all posts that I respond to Ka-El. The approach taken that you describe is used by many governments as a way of theoretically refusing to negotiate while in reality negotiating.

Thanks for clearing up what was already well known to most of us Donald.

To help you understand the point being made by my post – I simply responded to truth’s assertion that “no way in hell Harper would pay up” with confirmation that the Harper government did, in fact, both negotiate with terrorists and pay ransom.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Postby Ka-El » Today, 8:21 am

Thanks for clearing up what was already well known to most of us Donald.

Please do not direct your comments to me or what I have stated unless you expect me to reply.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Donald G wrote: Please do not direct your comments to me or what I have stated unless you expect me to reply.

:135: Your comment was directed at me. Did you not expect me to reply?

You are an interesting character Donald.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Now that we've ascertained who can or can't post, let's get back on topic. Okay?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Postby Ka-El » 9 minutes ago

You are an interesting character Donald.

WADR I obviously irritate you so best you go your way and I go mine.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Donald G wrote: WADR I obviously irritate you so best you go your way and I go mine.

Actually, I find you quite an interesting character - thus my comment that you are an interesting character.
But you have a choice to not respond to any of my posts (especially the ones you haven't bothered to read first) :smt045
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

This is a really tough test for Trudeau. The optics of letting someone die at the hands of ISIS when money would have fixed it has really bad optics, but I think Trudeau did the right thing here. It was a promise kept.
Last edited by Glacier on Apr 27th, 2016, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

If you want to run the risk of traveling to such places then have some money put away so your family can bail you out.

On the other hand, this island is just 300 square miles. Why hasn't anyone attempted to find them ?? Whether it be the Philippine police/army or a CDN special OPS team, shouldn't be that difficult.

I get the impression the Philippine gov. is getting a cut.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

driveangry wrote:...On the other hand, this island is just 300 square miles. Why hasn't anyone attempted to find them ?? Whether it be the Philippine police/army or a CDN special OPS team, shouldn't be that difficult. ...

Thousands of troops are scouring Sulu's vast jungle for the militants, who are holding about 22 other foreign hostages.

http://www.castanet.net/news/World/1642 ... Canadian-s
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Omnitheo wrote:We don't need to get involved and aid the wrong side them by supplying them with millions of dollars.

The Green Barbarian wrote:If that was your dad with the knife to his neck held by an Islamic person you'd be singing a different tune.

Perhaps not
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calg ... -1.3635832

The family says it agrees with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's directive that money not be paid to hostage takers who seek to undermine fundamental Canadian values.

"Our family, even in our darkest hour, agrees wholeheartedly with Canada's policy of not paying ransom," the Hall family said in the statement. "We stand with the ideals that built this country; strength of character, resilience of spirit, and refusal to succumb to the demands of the wretched."

Looks like the intelligent approach beat out the emotional response this time.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

The banner for this string is highly misleading.

SOME Canadians beg for ransom to be paid would be accurate.

For obvious realistic reasons IMO MOST Canadians understand that paying it would cause more Canadians to be kidnapped or taken hostage.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Exactly.

The second a nation pays a ransom for one of their citizens taken hostage, it paints a crosshairs on the back of every other one of it's citizens currently abroad.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump

Return to “Canada”