RCMP use Taser on disabled veteran

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

RCMP use Taser on disabled veteran

Post by maryjane48 »

RCMP use Taser on disabled veteran with electronic surgical implant
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.3536610
Shared via the CBC News Android App

there is definatly more to the story. but from which side ?
FreeRights
Guru

Re: RCMP use Taser on disabled veteran

Post by FreeRights »

It does appear that there's likely more to the story. As far as the use of force, I do not find fault on the police for deploying the charged weapon. The person was very obviously combative, disability or not, and the next step if a Taser was unavailable would be a firearm.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

It does appear that there's likely more to the story. As far as the use of force, I do not find fault on the police for deploying the charged weapon. The person was very obviously combative, disability or not, and the next step if a Taser was unavailable would be a firearm.

Could care less about this story BUT your response "next step if a Taser was unavailable would be a firearm"???????? WOW.....individual had NO weapon but the way you see things the police have the right to shoot him over this incident. I suppose pulling over a speeder and that person QUESTIONS a cop about the ticket could be shot on the spot would be justified in your way of thinking?
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Apr 16th, 2016, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote fixed.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

FreeRights wrote:It does appear that there's likely more to the story. As far as the use of force, I do not find fault on the police for deploying the charged weapon. The person was very obviously combative, disability or not, and the next step if a Taser was unavailable would be a firearm.

agree 100% the guy was combative,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

lesliepaul wrote: Could care less about this story BUT your response "next step if a Taser was unavailable would be a firearm"???????? WOW.....individual had NO weapon but the way you see things the police have the right to shoot him over this incident.

Well, perhaps the example of going all the way from Taser to firearm is extreme. But if someone is combative and not complying with direction from police, what other options could be justified? Clubbing him over the head to knock him out?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Just based on the video alone - too quick on the taser IMHO.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

really????? guy takes a swing at a cop then gets tasered after that, works for me
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Looks pretty legit to me. If he was so worried about getting tasered then why not just comply with what they were telling home to do? Alcohol or drugs, not sure which, liked like they played a role too. On top of all that, he was the one that called police in the first place.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

the truth wrote:really????? guy takes a swing at a cop then gets tasered after that, works for me

He was on the ground long after the swing.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Apr 16th, 2016, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

goatboy wrote: If he was so worried about getting tasered then why not just comply with what they were telling home to do?

Its a stressful situation and hard to believe, but not just for the officers. Its easy to say "just comply" behind a keyboard, but unless you're in a situation like that, you don't know how you'll react - especially if drugs or even a medical/psychological condition are in play.

Had they tazed him right after the swing, thats one thing - but when he's been on the ground for a period of time, sorry I don't see eye to eye on that.

Curious, why did the officers feel the need to move the security camera?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

According to the new taser use guidelines ....

The new RCMP directives say the Taser must be used only when there is a real threat to officers or the public and that its use must be "reasonable" in circumstances where the alternative is to shoot a gun – phrases opposition critics yesterday said were still too vague.
The RCMP policy now says the Taser should only be used where there is "lethal overwatch" – in other words, where another police officer is standing by ready to shoot his gun at an individual if the Taser shock fails to subdue the suspect.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2009 ... asers.html

Didn't see any of that in the video.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Dizzy1 wrote:Its a stressful situation and hard to believe, but not just for the officers. Its easy to say "just comply" behind a keyboard, but unless you're in a situation like that, you don't know how you'll react - especially if drugs or even a medical/psychological condition are in play.

Had they tazed him right after the swing, thats one thing - but when he's been on the ground for a period of time, sorry I don't see eye to eye on that.

Curious, why did the officers feel the need to move the security camera?

I guarantee you that if there are three police officers telling me to do something, I'm going to do it. If I don't do it because I'm drunk or high, too bad for me.

They tasered him after he had swung at one officer, said "I'm not going to do that" when told to put his hands behind his back and the started struggling with the officer who was trying to arrest him. Tasering him stopped anyone from getting hurt. He was only tasered once and it ended the confrontation. Again, if he was that concerned for his implant, then he should have cooperated. No sympathy for him.

And as far as MJ's sensational "disabled veteran" headline, he seemed pretty capable to me. He cetainly wasn't in a wheelchair or anything.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

goatboy wrote:They tasered him after he had swung at one officer,

No, they tasered him one and a half minutes after the swing as he was on the ground for that entire time posing no visible threat to the officers nor the public.
goatboy wrote:said "I'm not going to do that" when told to put his hands behind his back and the started struggling with the officer who was trying to arrest him. Tasering him stopped anyone from getting hurt.

So they didn't follow the new guidelines?
goatboy wrote:And as far as MJ's sensational "disabled veteran" headline, he seemed pretty capable to me. He cetainly wasn't in a wheelchair or anything.

How is it "sensational"? Is a disability limited to a wheelchair or anything? Maybe he's suffering from PTSD?
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

goatboy wrote:I guarantee you that if there are three police officers telling me to do something, I'm going to do it. If I don't do it because I'm drunk or high, too bad for me.

They tasered him after he had swung at one officer, said "I'm not going to do that" when told to put his hands behind his back and the started struggling with the officer who was trying to arrest him. Tasering him stopped anyone from getting hurt. He was only tasered once and it ended the confrontation. Again, if he was that concerned for his implant, then he should have cooperated. No sympathy for him.

And as far as MJ's sensational "disabled veteran" headline, he seemed pretty capable to me. He cetainly wasn't in a wheelchair or anything.

Heck when I was younger I recall rough nights out and walking back to where the DD had parked and getting stopped by officers. They asked what I was doing and where I was going....I could have yelled "none of your business" and worked that to zap zap zap, but instead slurred that I was separated from my friends and driver and heading back to meet at the car. They then asked "what if they are gone?"....."i will get a cab".

They would have been within rights to just zap me and drunk tank my *bleep*, yet they didn't as there wasn't a need. Some cops screw up, but the majority do well and deal with situations as needed....but these days, get combative even a little and bzzzzt it will be. Show some respect and it tends to be ok.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Veovis wrote:but these days, get combative even a little and bzzzzt it will be.

According to this ...

"Previously the person could be resisting arrest and be combative. Now there must be the risk of injury to the public or our member before deployment."

... that doesn't qualify anymore to deploy a taser.

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistl ... id=2164691

As I stated previously, had the tazed him right after the swing, I could understand it - but after a minute and a half of being on the ground - I don't see the immediate threat.

Return to “Canada”