Federal census form

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Federal census form

Post by Glacier »

Calling in mandatory gives a 95% return rate. Taking off the warning means that only about 70% of people return it. In either case, the short form was always mandatory, even last Census.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/what-you-n ... -1.2881122
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

Long form can provide useful data for policy making.

But number of Canadian households asked to complete long form was reduced to 25% of households from the 1/3 of households in last census that long form was used. This surely reduces meaningfulness of the data captured.

The short form seems pretty useless in capturing any meaningful data.

Ability to complete online makes it faster and easier. But as anecdote, my 80's something neighbours threw it away. Why? Confused by the notice of instructions - thought that somehow government forgot to include the form! lol.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I wonder how many Federal, Provincial and Municipal Government Financial per/capita Grants are based on the information collected by the census ??

Not filling out the form is abdicating your financial responsibility to your fellow Canadians. I take it that such people intend to claim a share of the money doled out on behalf of others who completed their census. Parasites ??
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Rosemary1 wrote:Long form can provide useful data for policy making.

But number of Canadian households asked to complete long form was reduced to 25% of households from the 1/3 of households in last census that long form was used.

Wrong! The last time the long form was mandatory it was 1/5. The last census changed it to 1/3 with the stipulation that you won't be in breech of the law if you didn't fill it out. This Census will go in the middle at 1/4, and will call it mandatory again. There will just as many Canadians filling it out this time (about 24%) as last time because it will be mandatory. This will save money, and give better data for communities under 500 people.
Last edited by Glacier on May 3rd, 2016, 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

I hope Even Steven has a lot of money socked away for litigation with the federal government. Hey, Even, do you like to be the centre of publicity? You'll get lots with your approach to census. Certain people follow up on non-returns and do so very systematically.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

occasional thoughts wrote:I hope Even Steven has a lot of money socked away for litigation with the federal government. Hey, Even, do you like to be the centre of publicity? You'll get lots with your approach to census. Certain people follow up on non-returns and do so very systematically.

No one is ever charged for not doing it. Well, perhaps the odd person, but I've talked to people who have conducted the Census, and they were supposed to report those who refused, but mostly they didn't because these people were the sort of off-grid folks that don't want to be in the system. Because they are such a small number, Statscan doesn't really care about them.

Even Steven should still fill it out if he wants to live up to his name.
- Douglas Murray
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Omnitheo wrote:I'm excited for new up to date statistics, but it's disconcerting that there are those like you who deliberately go out of their way to reject their civic duties and obstruct data.

I have more interesting things in life to get excited about than statistics. But if this a highlight of your month, good for you!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

flamingfingers wrote:So I got 2 census forms? Do I fill out just 1 or both?

Your one personality does one form and your other does the second.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

flamingfingers wrote:
So I got 2 census forms? Do I fill out just 1 or both?

Postby Bsuds » Today, 1:08 pm
Your one personality does one form and your other does the second.

Was your house at one time divided by an A and a B address, or by upstairs and downstairs ??
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

oneh2obabe wrote:^^^Then you had the short form. The stop/start is only available on the long census form.

No wonder it took me so long. Done thank goodness.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Was your house at one time divided by an A and a B address, or by upstairs and downstairs ??

No, it is a large building with an address that reads 1573 - 1575, and encompasses 2 postal codes.

I received one addressed to #XXX, 1573 XXX and the other addressed to #XXX, 1575 XXX.

I'll complete the one for 1575 and keep the other for reference, as the "lines are busy, please try later" gives me no satisfaction!!
Chill
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Just did the long form online, took all of 15 minutes. I fail to see why some make such a big deal of this - although I am curious about the value of them knowing whether we have difficulty seeing even with glasses :135:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Nooby wrote:Just did the long form online, took all of 15 minutes. I fail to see why some make such a big deal of this - although I am curious about the value of them knowing whether we have difficulty seeing even with glasses :135:
Guess we'll find out in 92 years?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

http://www.thebeaverton.com/national/it ... -there-are

I laughed, this was good.

OTTAWA - The Conservative party came out against the mandatory census again this week, saying that it creates undue stress and is totally irrelevant to all of the several million people currently living in Canada.

“It’s time the government started respecting Canadians,” said interim leader of the opposition, Rona Ambrose. “And they can start by not wasting hard-earned tax dollars on learning about Canadians.”

Canadians, says Ambrose, have a basic right to privacy, whether they are white, black or any of the other races that may exist. When the government crosses that line they enter the territory of a dictatorship.

“The government should not force you to provide private information,” said Ambrose, whose party had passed Bill C-51 giving CSIS those exact powers. “Canadians don’t want this… I assume. Kinda hard to tell without a large survey of some sort.”

According to the Conservative party, the census isn’t particularly helpful anyway. The data it provides can only be used for determining where federal aid programs should focus their work, helping the healthcare system determine hospital locations, providing basic demographic data to retailers looking to open new stores, and other cases where guessing would probably be just as effective.

“In the end, the census is just pointless busy work. Canadians don’t want to arrive at their… houses - yes, houses, I think that’s right - to find a thick envelope full of forms waiting on their doorstep. They want to be spending time with their dozen children and half a dog,” said Ambrose. “They just got back from a long day of work. Or whatever they do during the day. Maybe they pick flowers? Or swim? Do Canadians swim all day?”

Ambrose then excused herself to attend a benefit dinner for unemployed Egyptian-Canadians with red hair who are missing a finger, a demographic she says makes up 30% of Conservative voters.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

pretty weird as they send you a form that says to fill out the form you must do it online or order a form by mail ?
what if u don't have a computer?
So your supposed to fill out the form by law but the same big brother insists you apply in writing for form to be mailed to you that your forced by law to fill out why not just send the form?
the first thing they ask is name and address but they already knew that otherwise you would not get the form
glad you voted for numnuts? I didnt

Return to “Canada”