thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
frazdog
Fledgling

Re: Some cheer on Ft Mac wildfire - it's "karma"

Post by frazdog »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on May 5th, 2016, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Atomoa wrote:Always so personal.

It's too bad you have so little faith in humanity and always cry about things that aren't worth crying about. Instead of crying, how about "doing". Every bit you do to help fix what is broken is worth millions of words of bitterness and hate. Go help an old lady across the street or with her shopping. Buy a hungry person a meal. Make the world a better place, instead of just urging others to cheer while it burns. Such a terrible attitude.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Rwede wrote:
You tell people what you're doing because you want them to rise to the challenge and help out as well. Goodwill catches on, and gets other people in the mood to help out as well.

Exactly. Pay it forward.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Make the world a better place, instead of just urging others to cheer while it burns.

Who cheered?

I commented that I disagreed how you and people like you on this thread were attacking people for daring to suggest that governments, environmental policy and the way we organize ourselves as a society can shape disasters like this.

How many Canadian cities have been severely damaged by wildfires in the last 15 years? This is Kelowna after all. Rock Creek burned down last year and it's been 30+C in Ft Mac in April but we can't talk about that

I pointed out that many people were blatantly using this disaster as free advertising and nobody had a problem with that. You say that no business does charity work for gain for themselves and that it's just a way to spread the love - which is the furthest thing from the truth - why are they in business? For the LOVE? Why didnt they get into non profit charity work?

Stop being so personal. You disagree with a fact and attack the person telling it to you time and time again. I've never mentioned anything about you as a person or my perceptions of you because it isn't relevant.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were

- Buckminster Fuller
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Atomoa wrote:
Who cheered?

You always cheer when the markets melt down or are in difficulty when something like Panama is leaked. You want to see the world burn due to your own personal issues and I just find that sad.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

The Green Barbarian wrote:You always cheer when the markets melt down or are in difficulty when something like Panama is leaked. You want to see the world burn due to your own personal issues and I just find that sad.

I cheer when people get caught evading taxes in Panama. Taxes that could have hired more fire fighters.

I didn't cheer here.

I mentioned that this disaster obviously warrants political and environmental discussion because two large Canadian cities have been threatened and almost/mostly destroyed by fire due to extreme weather conditions in the last 15 years. How hot was it last year? How hot is it this year? My garden is 3-4 weeks ahead for this time of year. We can't talk about that? I know my Canadian history and I don't recall natural wildfires destroying major Canadian cities at such a frequency in our past.

I pointed out that it was hypocritical to be limiting discussion because it goes against certain political beliefs that are central around protecting profits. Especially considering people are looking the other way while hundreds of businesses all release PR sheets to the media trying to capitalize financially on this event as much as they can.

How many commercials will we see after this fire showing us how XYC company "came together to help the people of Ft.Mac"? Telus is giving away thousands of phones and I can see the commercial spots now. Talking about the environment is rude at a time like this but advertising is on the table? That's all I'm saying.

There are lots of people making donations that have nothing attached to them - even people making anonymous ones that inspire others to do that same. It's really scary and terrible for these people. We lost 200 homes here. They lost 2000 so far at least. Damn.

It has nothing to do with who you are as a human being GB. It's a observation of the situation as a whole.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were

- Buckminster Fuller
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

you should know that over the years fires were put out very fast, as a result the forests are very old and ideal fodder for the fire.
we should let nature take care of it self, and we would not be in this shape. keep the under brush clean etc and there would be less problems. the temp. in 1940 was as hot as it is now, which is not all as you people claim as climate change. if you had driven the road to fort mac. you would have seen what the forests looked like.people should have gone into the bush west north east and south of ft. mac. and you would have seen the kindling just waiting for the right conditions.so stop fear mongering and look at reality. may is playing politics , what an idiot.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

I believe that "climate change" is very real, I don't believe that what most people think of as climate change is so. A couple of weeks ago Kelowna beat 101-year-old daytime high temperature records; so were we having climate change in 1915? Not in the way people think. A few days ago, I noticed, the daily high record for Kelowna had been set in a nice even 1900. Again, was that climate change then? Not apparently. Climate change is not about the day-to-day and year-to-year extremes, it is about the miniscule increased in average daily temperature over a number of years. For every day we've had above normal temps in the west this spring, Ont. and the Maritimes have been having late late snowfall and chilly temp. values.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

that alone change that has been natural, does not cause these fires, there is a lot more to do with old forests.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Who cares if a business plugs themselves as part of helping out those in need during this disaster? They're helping for freak sakes! Would you rather see laws where businesses are allowed to help in emergencies, but dont they dare put their business name along with it!! Give me a break. I'd rather Telus hand out free phones and see an ad on tv than them do nothing. Isn't the important thing that businesses are helping?

What's the downside that's so significant that we should put rules in place for how help can be provided to 100k people fleeing for their lives? Maybe you'd prefer the other side of the coin where there's less aid available to these people because of all the red tape businesses would have to go through just to offer some help?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

alfred2 wrote:you should know that over the years fires were put out very fast, as a result the forests are very old and ideal fodder for the fire.
we should let nature take care of it self, and we would not be in this shape. keep the under brush clean etc and there would be less problems. the temp. in 1940 was as hot as it is now, which is not all as you people claim as climate change. if you had driven the road to fort mac. you would have seen what the forests looked like.people should have gone into the bush west north east and south of ft. mac. and you would have seen the kindling just waiting for the right conditions.so stop fear mongering and look at reality. may is playing politics , what an idiot.

Correct. We've been far too efficient at suppressing forest fires for many decades.

Now, we have 8" of needles and cones and dry twigs on the ground, in areas that used to naturally burn clean every 10 - 15 years.

It has nothing to do with changes in weather patterns, and everything to do with altering natural fire disturbance patterns.

And when conservation groups go to green government and ask if they can do some wildlife habitat work by burning off some areas with controlled burns, government says "NO! We can't add more CO2 from controlled fires to the air, we'll cause climate change!"

So, because of climate alarmism, necessary controlled burns are disallowed, and we get raging wildfires that are fed by 8" of dry duff on the forest floor.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Rwede wrote:It has nothing to do with changes in weather patterns, and everything to do with altering natural fire disturbance patterns.

You're wrong ... environmental, political, climate activists, scientists and mankind in general is much smarter than Mother Nature ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Dizzy1 wrote:You're wrong ... environmental, political, climate activists, scientists and mankind in general is much smarter than Mother Nature ;)

Hey, as long as we think we're smarter, then we must be, right? :D
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

While I don't wish for anyone to be put in harm's way, or to have to endure the stresses the evacuees did and still do I also do not wish to donate one red cent to aid them.
We have had third world conditions in many communities in this country for far too long, yet their cries go unanswered.
Helping folks get out of harms way is fantastic. We need to do that for each other. Beyond that let's be realistic.

I know from 2003 that insurance scams will run amok. Many people will claim things far beyond what they actually owned so they "come out on top" in the end. That's the way greed works. The greedy mind wants that money and feels entitled to it if they get their paws on it first. That's what feeds the Ft. McMurray cesspool. They need a helping hand to get out of danger, but beyond that there are far better places for the people of Canada and beyond to toss their money.

The people that choose to live in a toxic environment in order to chase the dream of personal wealth, are making bad choices. That's not my problem. If you choose to live there to chase that filthy money, then you can also accept and deal with the consequences of working in a place that contributes such a huge amount to the continuing problem we are facing as a result of their practices. Global climate change is certainly inevitable, but anyone that does not believe we are contributing at an alarming and unacceptable rate is a fool.

The city of Fort McMurray lit up on account of winds blowing a wildfire down a drainage ditch and into the city. Does this seem a bit ridiculous that a city built on such a platform would not have more in place to protect their city and infrastructure from the inevitable? This, to me seems like someone failed to plan. I wish they had planned to fail, as it would have helped them in the future when they had to grab their keys and run.

I'll agree that in many cases, this tragedy could be seen as karma. That's not to say in all cases, nor is it to say such a statement as a blanket of any type. I am simply stating that I'll not shed a tear for those who made the choice to rape our planet so they could have a shiny truck, towing a kick-arse camper from their overpriced homes when The Creator spoke out.

I feel for the innocent children who have been subjected to that environment (in all manner of speaking), as well as for the wives that were coerced into moving to "where the money is". I feel for the innocent victims. I don't feel anything more than a wish for the safety of the others, as my truth tells me this is what they have traded in return for bad choices.

Perhaps with any luck, this will drive fuel prices through the roof, so we start to respect that resource more than we have. Hopefully this tragedy creates opportunities for alternative fuels to be taken seriously and the infrastructure for that new era of energy to finally be put into place. In the meantime, I know I will suffer, as my business requires copious amounts of gasoline to function. It's a loss I'm willing to face for the betterment of all. I wish I wasn't so lonely walking this road.

I won't be sending any money or aid of any sort to these well provided for rapists. They'll make out just fine without my money or help. I will continue to focus my attentions elsewhere to help a population of deserving people that simply want the basic necessities, yet lack most.

Now, let's wait for the boom. Ft.Mc. will be another cold lake. Lots of work rebuilding what should have never been built in the first place. Not much different mentality than rebuilding a ground level rancher on a flood plain.

Screw The Creator, "WE WILL REBUILD, because we are strong", they say.
I read it as "We will rebuild, because we are arrogant, greedy and nothing will stop us from fulfilling our agenda."

Go ahead. Take your shots. I have thick skin and broad shoulders. :)

Return to “Canada”