Door-to-door mail delivery

Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Door-to-door mail delivery

Post by Rosemary1 »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/164 ... or-no-more

One of the campaign promises was to restore door to door mail delivery. Now its going to be reviewed - no doubt at some cost. More posturing for another ill thought out campaign promise ?

No matter where someone sits on this issue, there had been plenty of reviews by previous government of the original decision and a detailed implementation plan in place (available to public) that included accomodations for anyone who due to disability, age, or other reason needed to continue with home delivery.

Looks like a waste of time and money to revisit it. Either carry out promise to scrap it or just continue with original plan to phase out home delivery. Is there really a need for more studies?
Last edited by oneh2obabe on May 5th, 2016, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correct link inserted.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Door-to-door mail delivery

Post by Rwede »

Rosemary1 wrote: Is there really a need for more studies?

If a well-connected Liberal gets millions of taxpayers' dollars to study a dead issue, of course there's a "need." The need is to pay off those who helped Justin get elected.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

I don't recollect J T promising to restore door-to-door mail delivery, but only to stop the Conservative initiative of ending it, pending a decision by his new government. To attack the review is not very sensical imho. What would the political consequences be if he was to go either way without some sort of second look. These comments on here are cheap, and the posters making them would probably line up for the privilege of blasting him for making important decisions without review.

That said, I think that door-to-door is as about as prime an unnecessary luxury as one possibly could imagine in this day and age, notwithstanding the impact on letter carriers and certain customers. If I remember my childhood, the milkman went door to door, the sawdust man went door to door, and probably others, and people aren't dying or being injured because they no longer get their milk, butter and eggs at their front doors.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

occasional thoughts wrote:I don't recollect J T promising to restore door-to-door mail delivery, but only to stop the Conservative initiative of ending it, pending a decision by his new government. To attack the review is not very sensical imho. What would the political consequences be if he was to go either way without some sort of second look. These comments on here are cheap, and the posters making them would probably line up for the privilege of blasting him for making important decisions without review.

That said, I think that door-to-door is as about as prime an unnecessary luxury as one possibly could imagine in this day and age, notwithstanding the impact on letter carriers and certain customers. If I remember my childhood, the milkman went door to door, the sawdust man went door to door, and probably others, and people aren't dying or being injured because they no longer get their milk, butter and eggs at their front doors.

Maybe this will help jog your memory,,,,
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... r-delivery
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

The review is to find a way to weasel out of another campaign promise that he now see is not in the best interest of Canada without looking like a weasel.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

We currently receive mail delivery to our door. We were to have been switched to community mailboxes prior to the election and we have already completed a questionnaire which was mailed to us; as well as received the response to our questionnaire. Since it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that door to door mail delivery will have to be phased out at some time in the future, this process in itself seemed like a huge waste. Now it looks like we will likely be wasting even more to come to the same conclusion, just to get a knee jerk response from an inexperienced glad handler off the hook.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

I go a half block down to the mail boxes. Can you believe that!! Half a block! Anyway I take my mail out, walk home, go directly to recycling and throw easily 80% of it away. For being so "pro environment" Justin is just a two faced liar.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

beancounter wrote:We currently receive mail delivery to our door. We were to have been switched to community mailboxes prior to the election and we have already completed a questionnaire which was mailed to us; as well as received the response to our questionnaire. Since it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that door to door mail delivery will have to be phased out at some time in the future, this process in itself seemed like a huge waste. Now it looks like we will likely be wasting even more to come to the same conclusion, just to get a knee jerk response from an inexperienced glad handler off the hook.

Well the hang-overs from the Paris Climate party have just worn off, now it's time to find the Liberal cronies a new pork-barrel, er..."Committee" to join up and suck a big payroll from to come up to a pre-ordained conclusion. It sure pays to be a Liberal, especially when they are in control of the purse strings.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

why are people so lazy? take a short walk it is good for you.get rid of all door to door mail delivery.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alfred2 wrote:why are people so lazy? take a short walk it is good for you.get rid of all door to door mail delivery.

That's ok for those who can walk and some certainly can't in the snowy weather. Having said that you can always get someone to pick it up for you. Canada Post is losing money and can't keep doing that. The other choice might be no delivery at all.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Never had door to door delivery, and don't know what the big deal about it. Walking half a block to get your mail or stop by on the way to pick up your mail doesn't sound that bad in order to make Canada Post more efficient. If it was me, I'd cut delivery days as well from Mon - Fri to only Mondays and Thursdays. All we get through mail is spam anyways. Everything else is electronic.

Sounds like a very archaic thing from the good old 50's but times have changed, and so should Canada Post.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I remember living in a town where we got door to door delivery, and we loved it. But that said, if we can't afford to give EVERYBODY door to door service, then why should taxpayers pay for ANYBODY to get door to door service.

Most Canadians get their mail via super mailboxes these days. So why should a privileged few be any different?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “Canada”