Another $785 m handout

Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Another $785 m handout

Post by Rosemary1 »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#165282

While helping such causes internationally may seem like a good thing , when is there going to be some objective audit of the billions in aid to date from the international community that have made hardly a dent because so much ends up in the hands of corrupt officials and not used for intended purpose.? And is this really the time to be doing this with all the crises at home and unknown cost yet to come of so many campaign pledges?

Looks like more pandering to international agencies where there will be a job somewhere for him as a do gooder when he is done bankrupting this country.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Another $785 m handout

Post by the truth »

WERE IS THIS LOSER FINDING ALL THIS MONEY :200: :-X
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I have a real problem with Justin arbitrarily making a decision such as this. Because, unlike Bill Gates, it isn't his own money that he's giving away, its OURS. And nobody consulted us to find out how we feel about it.

I'm not opposed to donating to worthy causes, and if Justin wants to do that with his own money then he should go ahead and do so. But at a time when I see so many worthwhile causes in our own country going underfunded, I have a problem with our PM handing over millions to a foreign charity like this one.

I'm sure it makes Justin feel good to be rubbing shoulders with high rolling philanthropists like the Gates, and that he wants to act like he's "one of the gang" and show his generosity, but he should do it with his own cash rather than ours.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The Global Fund appears to be having a significant impact.

It may not be to your immediate benefit, but fighting aids, TB, and Malaria in poor countries eventually pays big dividends for Canada as well as being the right thing to do. Note that this is not a Canadian initiative, but a G8 initiative, with all countries contributing.

The 2013 results posted on their website:

6.1 million people on retrovirals
11.2 million people treated for TB
360 million insectide-treated nets distributed

I suppose it is partly personal philosophy, but I have always thought that you can't go wrong trying to do the right thing.

The alternative, turning our backs on suffering poor folks, just isn't palatable to me.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Great post Hobby but I still feel the need to echo Truth's question; :digging: I thought we were in debt?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

He wasn't going to be pinned down on what he was going to give Alberta for their devastating fires. And all we got are extended EI benefits.
Madtaxi
Fledgling

Post by Madtaxi »

HaHa you whiners lost the election.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

TimmyE wrote:He wasn't going to be pinned down on what he was going to give Alberta for their devastating fires. And all we got are extended EI benefits.

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on May 14th, 2016, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Madtaxi wrote:HaHa you whiners lost the election.

Yeah I am still basking in the glow of the Manitoba and Saskatchewan elections too.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

hobbyguy wrote:The Global Fund appears to be having a significant impact.

It may not be to your immediate benefit, but fighting aids, TB, and Malaria in poor countries eventually pays big dividends for Canada as well as being the right thing to do.

You make a great point HG. When the prince and princess Trudeau are finally done their reign, we will need these third world countries to support us, so this is a good investment in our hopeless future. "Hey Ghana, remember us? We sent you some mosquito nets in 2016 (even though what you really needed was DDT). Please send help, we are 20 trillion in debt and anyone who paid taxes has long fled".
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

the truth wrote:WERE IS THIS LOSER FINDING ALL THIS MONEY :200: :-X

We're a "have" country. This sounds like a lot of money, but we can afford it. It's just the right thing to do. I guarantee your life won't be materially affected by this, however we will positively affect the lives of millions of others. Or maybe you're suggesting that Canadian lives are more valuable than others? Do we deserve to live more than those in need? Should we let people die when we have the means to help? Our government already keeps very good care of us compared to virtually every other country on the planet.

I think we owe it to humanity to help if we have the means to affect lives in a meaningful way. A lot of you are really taking for granted what we have here and don't realize how many others in this world lack the basic necessities just to stay alive.

Return to “Canada”