Curious about donations through retailers

Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Curious about donations through retailers

Post by Rosemary1 »

More and more every large retailer asks shoppers if they want to contribute to a charity when paying bill.

When contributions are turned over to charities, are they considered donations from the retailer? Does retailer get the tax deduction for the cumulative amount? Anyone know?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Curious about donations through retailers

Post by kgcayenne »

How would the retailer have your name & address to track the cumulative value of your contributions as they reach the point of issuing a receipt to claim on your tax return?

They don't.

One can only draw the conclusion that the retailer gets the credit for their shoppers' generosity.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

That was my conclusion as well but wondered if anyone knew for sure.While donor shoppers don't except a tax receipt, it nevertheless seems not on the up and up for the retailer to get any tax receipt for the donations handed over given by others.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Would there not be something on your receipt?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I have no idea but i'd imagine CRA got that angle covered when it comes to these retailers and that method of collection.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

According to Philippe Brideau, spokesperson for CRA, “A registered charity can only issue an official donation receipt to the actual donor, the individual or organization that made the gift. If a lump sum is donated without detailed (individual) donor information, the charity will not be able to issue any receipt.”

Businesses collecting small donations should track them separately from general revenue, and submit them, in full to the designated charity. The charity issues no tax receipt. Sometimes, businesses “match” donor dollars with funds of their own; in those cases they get a receipt, but only for the portion they funded themselves. So, as long as no one cheats, there is no direct financial advantage to the business.

<snip> In summary, if a reputable business asks you to give an extra dollar for Sick Kids, the hospital likely gets the money and the business gets brownie points. If someone runs a bake sale with “proceeds” to your favourite cause, the charity is better off if you write them a cheque, get the receipt yourself, and stay on your diet. <snip>

https://www.thestar.com/life/2013/08/11 ... arity.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Rosemary1 wrote:When contributions are turned over to charities, are they considered donations from the retailer? Does retailer get the tax deduction for the cumulative amount? Anyone know?

As somebody who raised money for a donation in the past from customers and turned it over to a charity/cause, I can tell you that it's impossible to get a donation benefit from that money. Accounting just doesn't work that way as the source can't be traced.

However, if I add any of my corporate money to the donation, I can benefit from that specific amount of donation.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I don't mind donating to charities when I can but I must say, I'm getting a little tired and mistrustful of being shaken down for a donation almost every time I buy something or even walk into a store these days. How am I supposed to know where that money goes and if it's really making a difference?

I used to do it all the time. These days I'm reluctant to do so.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I have to agree Orez, I never give in stores etc. I give directly to charities of my choice and that way I know where the money goes. I also make sure I know how the particular charity or whatever works and that 80% or whatever doesn't go to running the charity as happens in so many cases.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I was under the impression that retailers were able to (and did) claim the accumulation of donations for a tax credit, however:

Why do retailers like Wal-Mart, Loblaws, the LCBO and Ardene hold point-of-sale campaigns? No, not for the tax credit; retailers aren’t legally allowed to claim a deduction for donations of cash that doesn’t belong to them, even if they did collect it.

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/economic ... r-in-2015/

Apparently it's more about corporate social responsibility.

Return to “Canada”