Ft MacMurray further evacuation

Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Ft MacMurray further evacuation

Post by Rosemary1 »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#165882

How can JT justify not accepting a helping hand from offering countries? Fire is not under control. Sure doesn't sound like Alberta fire is under control with no relief for exhausted fire fighters.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Re: Ft MacMurray further evacuation

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Rosemary1 wrote:
How can JT justify not accepting a helping hand from offering countries? .
He's Arrogant, and the fact the fire is in Alberta and not Ontario or Quebec.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Why would we need help from other countries when it has been said before the only way to stop this fire is to let Nature take it's course.

3 bombers from Russia will not help at all, i also am not keen on russian bombers in Canadian Air space ever.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Hassel99 wrote:.
i also am not keen on russian bombers in Canadian Air space ever.
What about the other countries that also graciously offer help?
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There was concern expressed that foreign languages and pilots unfamiliar with Canadian methods would introduce a higher level of hazard into an already hazardous situation. Hassel99 is correct in that this particular fire has just grown too large and too hot to fight, and that the best they can hope for is to steer it around populated areas. In any event, I'm inclined to trust the experts in this, as are Ms. Notely and Mr. Trudeau.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The mandatory evacuation order for Fort McMurray has been expanded to include a number of work camps and processing facilities north of the city, up to but not including the town of Fort MacKay some 60 kilometers away. I have been in contact with some of the epople in the affected camps and word is that at this time the concern is smoky conditions sever enough to affect breathing ability.

http://www.emergencyalert.alberta.ca/alerts/2016/05/3778.html
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

This is how fast things can change. Blacksands Lodge, a camp north and a little west of Fort McMurray, evacuated yesterday due to smoke, is now in flames. Two other large camps, Noralta and Hudson Lodge are in relatively close proximity.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I believe it was the firefighters and experts involved in the situation who stated they did not need help from other countries. Not Trudeau. Anyone ever heard the term "too many cooks in the kitchen"? I think it's easier for us to coordinate with our own forces as opposed to having the aircrafts of a half dozen other countries all trying to do what they think is best to fight our fires. This is hardly Canada's first forest fire.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

While I do know a lot about aviation, I'm by no means an expert on fire control. Obviously, visibility, crowded airpspace and logistics play a huge role - if they can't fly and drop where they need to due to limited visibility, then obviously no amount of planes make a difference. Logistics, of course plays another role - where to fly the planes in and out of, getting enough water and fire retardant/suppressor to the planes, etc. However, having said that - one would think that the more water/retardant/suppressor you could get on a fire the better it would be (again I'm no expert, but that does seem logical). So, I don't see what the point is in flying a dozen little bombers around vs a few larger bombers with much more volume to be dumped on it at once. Congested airspace being another concern, however if you think about it logically, the 3 Russian IL76s and even the DC10 bombers out of the US would need to do a pass or two, fly somewhere to re-tank before they can do another hit. So, to me it would seem logical to get the larger bombers to do a big hit and when they're done and off to re-tank, the little guys can come in and clean up a bit.

Hassel99 wrote:3 bombers from Russia will not help at all, i also am not keen on russian bombers in Canadian Air space ever.

You wouldn't have to worry about that anyways, IL76s are cargo aircraft not bombers.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

fluffy wrote:There was concern expressed that foreign languages and pilots unfamiliar with Canadian methods would introduce a higher level of hazard into an already hazardous situation.

English is the main language used in aviation, although the Russians can use Russian while in their domestic airspace just as French, Spanish and German can be used in their respective domestic airspace - Russian pilots are very competent in the English language when it comes to aviation. As far as procedures, aeronautical procedures are virtually identical around the world - not sure about procedures specific to fire fighting though - but seeing that other countries help other countries out all the time with fire fighting I can't see that being a problem.

The only difference that I could see is that while we use "feet" and "miles" for altitude and distance, the Russians use "meters" and "kilometres". However, given the number of Russian aircraft flying over our space everyday and the amount on non-Russian aircraft flying over their airspace everyday, this has never been a serious problem.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Canada”