Trudeau Approves GMO Salmon "Safe for Consumption"

pepsilover
Übergod

Trudeau Approves GMO Salmon "Safe for Consumption"

Post by pepsilover »

Mr. Environment, Justine Trudeau, is doing quite a few environmentally unfriendly things while distracting the masses with pouts across the parliamentary floor (read other thread in this section regarding LNG and Trudeau put in a week or two ago).

Somebody yesterday in this forum mentioned it was "theatre" what happened in parliament, rehearsed, maybe even planned. I guess it's a distinct possibility that Justine wants to distract the masses while he passes approval on some issues that are very unpopular with his voter base - such as GMO Salmon.

Perhaps yesterday's 'stride, pout and push' is part of a bigger picture here. Distractions for the masses while Justine is signing off for things like GMO salmon being 'safe for consumption' and to be sold in stores, things that the people who voted for him would be not too pleased about.

In any event, I'm a rightie and I've never agreed about the safety or selling of GMO salmon, so imagine how our lefties feel. If you don't know much about GMO salmon I would suggest doing a bit of research. One of the biggest concerns is that salmon will get loose (from where they are farming them) and mate with normal salmon. Among other things.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//news/na ... cmpid=rss1

<snip>

Health Canada has approved genetically modified salmon as safe for consumption, allowing for the first time genetically altered animals on Canadian grocery store shelves.

The federal agency’s decision Thursday follows a decades-long fight by AquaBounty Technologies, a company with roots in Canada, to sell its product in North America. The decision was met with fierce opposition by environmental groups who question the safety of the product and who say the approval opens the door to other genetically engineered animals.

Health Canada said Thursday its scientists conducted “a thorough analysis” of AquAdvantage, AquaBounty’s brand of genetically modified salmon. By introducing a growth hormone gene from Chinook salmon, the company is able to grow Atlantic salmon to market size in half the amount of time – from about 40 months down to 20. <snip>

More at Link
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Trudeau Approves GMO Salmon "Safe for Consumption"

Post by Barney Google »

GMO anything 'safe', Justin?

Really?

Canada's Mr. Environmentalist going to Hell in a handbasket and fast...
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

*removed*

That said, gmo salmon may well be safe for human consumption, but I'm not interested in consuming it myself. They can't genetically modify wild salmon (to the best of my comprehension) and I totally avoid farmed fish, so I assume I don't need to worry about consuming it by accident or misrepresentation.
Last edited by ferri on May 24th, 2016, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

occasional thoughts wrote:*removed*

That said, gmo salmon may well be safe for human consumption, but I'm not interested in consuming it myself. They can't genetically modify wild salmon (to the best of my comprehension) and I totally avoid farmed fish, so I assume I don't need to worry about consuming it by accident or misrepresentation.

*removed*

And FTR I do not "hate" anybody or anything. I am disgusted by Justine Trudeau, and even more disgusted in the fools that voted him in.

As to GMO salmon you obviously didn't read the link and know even less about it. Eating it 'by accident' is one of the major concerns. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 24th, 2016, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Barney Google wrote:GMO anything 'safe', Justin?

Really?

Canada's Mr. Environmentalist going to Hell in a handbasket and fast...

Yep and it all seems quite orchestrated for him to be pulling these stunts quietly in some backroom while distracting the population of Canada with his "drama". Genius huh? Remember Justine WAS a drama teacher. He enjoys the theatrical.
redwine

Post by redwine »

I wonder if he would serve this fish to his family.
perhaps the straight and narrow would be wider if more people used it
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Maybe I've missed the boat on the whole GMO thing, but what exactly is unhealthy about it?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

redwine wrote:I wonder if he would serve this fish to his family.

Steam poached in his specially brought in bottled water? I think not. Lol
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

<snip> Health Canada said Thursday its scientists conducted “a thorough analysis” of AquAdvantage, AquaBounty’s brand of genetically modified salmon. By introducing a growth hormone gene from Chinook salmon, the company is able to grow Atlantic salmon to market size in half the amount of time – from about 40 months down to 20.

“In every other way, the AquAdvantage salmon is identical to other farmed salmon,” the agency said in a statement. “Following this assessment, it was determined that the changes made to the salmon did not pose a greater risk to human health than salmon currently available on the Canadian market.” snip>

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e30094235/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

I don't think this has anything to do with whether or not you, I or Trudeau would eat GMO fish. Government analysis has found that it poses no safety risk to eating it, so at the least he's opening it to choice. They certainly haven't banned non GMO fish.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

fluffy wrote:Maybe I've missed the boat on the whole GMO thing, but what exactly is unhealthy about it?
Nothing. Most of us already consume GMO's without giving it another thought. Over 80% of the corn grown in the United States is genetically modified and then there's soy, alfalfa, zucchini, canola, sugar beets etc. You can have a read here:
http://www.fastcoexist.com/1676104/the- ... -every-day
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

redwine wrote:I wonder if he would serve this fish to his family.

That's a very good question, and I'm guessing NOT since his wife is already upset with the water quality. This tells me they must be pretty fastidious about what they eat and drink, probably only organic and such.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

FreeRights wrote:I don't think this has anything to do with whether or not you, I or Trudeau would eat GMO fish. Government analysis has found that it poses no safety risk to eating it, so at the least he's opening it to choice. They certainly haven't banned non GMO fish.

"Government analysis". Righto. You don't know a whole lot about Health Canada do you? (regardless of which party is in power)

The farming of GMO salmon does NOT necessarily 'leave it up to choice'. Did you read the article? Do you know anything about this issue? If not, please excuse yourself or read up on it. Thank you.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

The fish will not need to be labelled as genetically modified. In Canada, such labels are required only in cases where the food poses a health risk, or if nutritional qualities have been significantly changed.

Label it and it's then consumers' choice.

After the federal government approved AquaBounty’s request to produce genetically modified salmon eggs back in 2013, the Ecology Action Centre, a Halifax-based group, was one of two organizations to take the government to court. That case was dismissed, although the groups have since appealed that decision.

2013 ? Where was the public's uproar then ?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/health-canada-approves-genetically-modified-salmon-as-safe-for-consumption/article30094235/
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

fluffy wrote:Maybe I've missed the boat on the whole GMO thing, but what exactly is unhealthy about it?

Good question. GMO's have been around for awhile and for some reason they seem to have stayed quite successfully 'hidden' from the masses, unless one was prone to environmental and/or health concerns. Up until a few years ago I had no idea what they were or what they were about. But I'm curious, and especially about what I eat and put into my body. Anyways, this article is back from 2003 and is more or less an overview of what GMO's actually are, and some of the possible health risks etc. Since 2003 there has been a lot of interest in GMO's (I mean some foods are even labelled NO GMO's so what does that tell us?)

Here is the link:

http://enhs.umn.edu/current/5103/gm/harmful.html

<snip>
Harmful Effects of the Agent

Genetically modified organisms (GMO’s) are a broad group of plants, animals, and bacteria that are engineered for a wide variety of applications ranging from agricultural production to scientific research. The types of potential hazards posed by GMO’s vary according to the type of organism being modified and its intended application. Most of the concern surrounding GMO’s relates to their potential for negative effects on the environment and human health. Because GMO’s that could directly effect human health are primarily products that can enter the human food supply, this website focuses on genetically modified food. To date, the only types of products that have been approved for human consumption in the U.S. are genetically modified plants (FDA website).

All genetically modified foods that have been approved are considered by the government to be as safe as their traditional counterparts and are generally unregulated (FDA website). However, there are several types of potential health effects that could result from the insertion of a novel gene into an organism. Health effects of primary concern to safety assessors are production of new allergens, increased toxicity, decreased nutrition, and antibiotic resistance (Bernstein et al., 2003).
<snip>

Much more at link if you are interested.
Last edited by pepsilover on May 20th, 2016, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Canada”