Tories Nix Rona Ambrose Candidacy for Leader

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Tories Nix Rona Ambrose Candidacy for Leader

Post by Treblehook »

Looks like the Conservatives are trying to out-dumb the Liberals. Ambrose seems intelligent and appeals to a large cross section of Canadians.. good, lets exclude her from being a candidate for leader!!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Tories Nix Rona Ambrose Candidacy for Leader

Post by Rwede »

Unfortunately, political parties have constitutions that forbid interim leaders from running for the top job.

When I asked an MP friend why, he told me that there is a perceived advantage given to the interim leader over other candidates because of their media exposure during their interim job, and so parties put that in their constitutions in the name of "fairness."

I think it could exclude the best person for the job (kiss my *bleep* when people talk about "unfair" anything) but I ain't the one making the rules.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Rwede wrote:Unfortunately, political parties have constitutions that forbid interim leaders from running for the top job.

When I asked an MP friend why, he told me that there is a perceived advantage given to the interim leader over other candidates because of their media exposure during their interim job, and so parties put that in their constitutions in the name of "fairness."

I think it could exclude the best person for the job (kiss my *bleep* when people talk about "unfair" anything) but I ain't the one making the rules.

Which tells me (those who are picked or chosen to be interim leader would be informed of that Rwede) Rona had no desire to be Leader of the Party. By taking the interim role would eliminate her as possible candidate, which would keep the Party from bugging her to run.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

GordonH wrote:Which tells me (those who are picked or chosen to be interim leader would be informed of that Rwede) Rona had no desire to be Leader of the Party. By taking the interim role would eliminate her as possible candidate, which would keep the Party from bugging her to run.

Apparently she didn't want to be a candidate, and made it clear.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/rona-ambrose-insists-shes-not-interested-in-being-permanent-tory-leader

“I don’t have any intention on being a candidate, and what I tell them is, ‘Thank you for your support,’” Ambrose said about the Draft Rona campaign.

“I appreciate the support and I hope that they continue with that support for our whole team, but my job – and I take it very seriously – is to run a good leadership race, a competitive leadership race, and to support the next leader and make sure that we have a strong transition and a strong party and caucus to hand off to the new leader.”
hail Satan y'all
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

agree she could be a good choice and their constitution should be changed. Nevertheless she has repeatedly stated she is not interested in running for the leadership so this time around the party's constitution makes no difference.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

I have more respect for Rona Ambrose than I can fit on this website.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Rona Ambrose should not be the leader of the Cons if they want to be elected again. She's too polarizing, kinda like the poster child of the old Harper gov. This party has a few far better options.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

jimmy4321 wrote:Rona Ambrose should not be the leader of the Cons if they want to be elected again. She's too polarizing, kinda like the poster child of the old Harper gov. This party has a few far better options.

You obviously know nothing about her or her views on things. Sounds like you're a Justin Junkie stuck on sunny ways.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

What's this, Conservatives savaging Conservatives?
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Even an imbecile may take the time to read my full post stating there are better options for Tory leader. If they want to win that is.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Yeah... just like the US... there are so many people vying for the top job.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Rona was smart to take the interim position. I could see her possibly running in the future, but not as long as the party is in such uncertain times. She has stuck to the policies of the existing administration. Towing the party line as much as possible. The Conservative party line is not doing anyone favours at this time though, hence their current discussions on face lifting the party. I think Rona needs to wait for the Conservative party to change and go with that flow rather than trying to be the one to spearhead that change herself. Better play it safe for now.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Omnitheo wrote:Rona was smart to take the interim position. I could see her possibly running in the future, but not as long as the party is in such uncertain times. She has stuck to the policies of the existing administration. Towing the party line as much as possible. The Conservative party line is not doing anyone favours at this time though, hence their current discussions on face lifting the party. I think Rona needs to wait for the Conservative party to change and go with that flow rather than trying to be the one to spearhead that change herself. Better play it safe for now.

It will be interesting to see where the two rudderless leaderless parties go when they elect new leaders. I would expect the Conservatives to move more to the center that Justin has grabbed, and the NDP to go straight down the toilet of the extreme left, where their younger members seem determined to take them with the LEAP manifesto.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

The Green Barbarian wrote:It will be interesting to see where the two rudderless leaderless parties go when they elect new leaders. I would expect the Conservatives to move more to the center that Justin has grabbed, and the NDP to go straight down the toilet of the extreme left, where their younger members seem determined to take them with the LEAP manifesto.

Not sure it's just the younger members. Although I've always liked Richard Cannings as a human being, the mailings we're getting from him are emotionally-laden clap-trap designed to provide the party with reassurance they're on the right track, or to convince the masses they're worthy of praise (probably both), all mailed back and forth at the taxpayer's expense. Surely they could be using these opportunities to provide solid platform statements and asking for genuine feedback instead? Makes one suspect they haven't the one and aren't interested in the other. All about the LEAP of faith, I guess.

It's interesting to think of the Conservatives moving closer to the center. I didn't think Harper was as far right as some people found him. Seems to me people often blow the leaders' traits and actions out of proportion, into the realm of caricature. The better to loathe (or laud) them with, I suppose.

Ambrose will be interesting to watch. She's always struck me as very focused. I was surprised she took the interim leadership instead of running for leader, but Omnitheo may be right about her plans. She's made it pretty plain that she's not interested in the position this time round.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Favourite all time Rona memory. Well, maybe two of them. Her going to the world climate conference in Africa and as Canadian Environment Minister, handing over the conference to the next host. And all the while claiming that climate change wasn't real.

Then, again as Environment Minister, hosting all the provincial Environment Ministers in Iqaluit. On the second day of the conference, Iqaluit set an all time record and reached 30 degrees Celsius for the first time ever since records began. The conference centre had no air conditioning (why have air conditioning in Iqauit?). And seeing her drenched in sweat, still denying to the media. The hairspray held up, though. The final day of the conference was to have a trip out to the national park reserve on Baffin Island. But it had to be cancelled because the permafrost was melting and boulders were being loosened and were rolling down the hillsides into the valley bottoms, creating a very dangerous situation.

Return to “Canada”