Resisting the federal census

occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Resisting the federal census

Post by occasional thoughts »

Yikes, that seems low and too tricky even for the folks down at the Harper Valley PTA.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Omnitheo
quote" Even more amusing would be to see it added to their criminal record
"

so your assuming everyone that did not fill out the census already has a criminal record LOL :130:
yummyinmytummy

Post by yummyinmytummy »

I filled mine out right away. What bizarre questions are people talking about?
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

This is a perfect topic for the conspiracy theorists.... where are they? The questions on the census were probably the work of some intellectually challenged member of the RCMP, and we sure as heck can't have that now can we.
frellingdren
Fledgling

Post by frellingdren »

A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
I'm not even supposed to be here. I'm just "Crewman Number Six." I'm expendable. I'm the guy in the episode who dies to prove how serious the situation is. I've gotta get outta here.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

They have names for people like you. And it ain't census taker hater - lol.
Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle »

If you have questions and concerns about the census, simply read the Statistics Act to find out what your obligations are. In particular, read sections 8 and 31. By law you are only obligated to provide information as to how many people reside at the address (population), and if you are involved in agriculture. The rest of the long form is purely voluntary.
However, if you do not answer the two questions, or refuse to answer the two questions, you could be subject to the penalties set out in section 31. And yes, some have gone to jail for refusing to provide the required information.

Educate yourself! Don't take my word, or anyone else's word for that matter, on what information you must provide, or voluntarily provide, check it out here: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/s-19/fulltext.html
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I know of an area of Kelowna that no one living there received a census form. Some of them have spent hours on the phone trying to get through to the info line and can't get anyone to answer.
You cannot do the online remittance without the code for your address so if it were me I would ignore them.
If the Gov't can't get it right then too bad so sad!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I never received one either does everyone get one or is it random selection
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

You don't get a code, you can't do it. So wait until/if other developments.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LTD wrote:I never received one either does everyone get one or is it random selection

Ours was addressed to the house, so I guess if you don't have a mailing address they don't care!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I assume Feds get addresses from Revenue Canada, so if individual file income taxes the address associated with that is where they would send your census.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

Silly to be paranoid about invasion of privacy. Most people have medical records, credit cards, file taxes, apply for loans, insurance, use online services, have social media accounts, personal information on their computers, mobiles etc. , respond to various surveys, register in educational programs, etc. There is no 100% guarantee of absolute protection of personal information.

Census information can be helpful in directing policies and priorities of governments if sampling is large enough and information comprehensive enough, and results are not used for political agendas alone. So making response mandatory seems ok. What doesn't seem to be ok?
1. The short form census captures seemingly little that could drive meaningful policy development (unless mistaken I think 1 in 3 households not getting long form receive this one?)
2. The long form which does capture information that could be more useful, but is sent to only 1 in 4 households . Can information from a mere 25% of households be used to drive policy for the entire country?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I received 2 census forms. I filled out 1 online because the postal code was the one I have used in the past. In the last couple of months, Canada Post has changed the postal code (last 3 number/letter/number) in my postal code so I received another census form for that postal code.

NOW, just last week, I received ANOTHER census form - this one a paper package with yet ANOTHER last 3 number/letter/number postal code!!!!

I am going to just keep those last 2 forms, plus the one I did on line in case I get questioned. JEEEZZZ!!!
Chill
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Short form census.
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/ref/questionnaires/questions-eng.cfm

Long form census ( 1 out of 4 households ).
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/2016/ref/questionnaires/questions-eng.cfm

Thank goodness I received the short form .. lol ..
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder

Return to “Canada”