Winnipeg, Land Claim

zzontar
Guru

Re: Winnipeg, Land Claim

Post by zzontar »

occasional thoughts wrote:Our conqueror forebears did us no favours by not negotiating treaties (B.C.) when they were supposed to, and by the way they handled native lands issues since.

Conquerer is the wrong term to use as throughout history, the conquerers called the shots once they conquered.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Conquerors can be benevolent and direct their colonials to act in a certain way, in law at least.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Treaties are still being drafted, signed and broken today.
This isn't a part of our past or history.
It's a part of our present.
In the case of my people, we have never signed a treaty.
Not only have we never signed a treaty, but we've never been "at war" with the Non-Natives.
We have not been beaten, conquered nor eradicated by anyone.

If you wanna get technical, the way I see it:
This is still my home land. You nor anyone else "owns" any of it.
You're most likely living on borrowed land, and one day, you're likely to lose it.
That will be an interesting day.
Shouldn't be any squabble, since you don't own it.
Shouldn't be any squabble, since it rightfully belongs to others.
I suspect there will be some squabbling.
lol

*Removed
Last edited by Frisk on May 30th, 2016, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Provoking / off topic
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Graham Adder wrote:Treaties are still being drafted, signed and broken today.
This isn't a part of our past or history.
It's a part of our present.
In the case of my people, we have never signed a treaty.
Not only have we never signed a treaty, but we've never been "at war" with the Non-Natives.
We have not been beaten, conquered nor eradicated by anyone.

If you wanna get technical, the way I see it:
This is still my home land. You nor anyone else "owns" any of it.
You're most likely living on borrowed land, and one day, you're likely to lose it.
That will be an interesting day.
Shouldn't be any squabble, since you don't own it.
Shouldn't be any squabble, since it rightfully belongs to others.

*Removed

I sure am glad most of the world doesn't have the same attitude. Can you imagine if natives here could never become full citizens anywhere else in the world and if they were, that country could give them the boots anytime? Some would call that racist.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Too bad the rest of my previous post didn't make the cut. It was sooo relevant to your last post zzontar.
I'll just respond by stating that you've got imagination. That's important for vision.
I wish more people would use more vision to see through the hate and ignorance that blinds so many people's periphery.
If that vision/imagination were to be used in constructive ways, we might actually see some change in the world. Instead, people generally take the path of least resistance. It's easier to go with what you know, what you've been conditioned to go with than to change the road you know to the one not yet traveled. Fear is the root of it. Those who cannot take that road, are fearful of the unknown. It's easier to go with what you know.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

I wish more people would use more vision to see through the hate and ignorance that blinds so many people's periphery
. I agree it would sure be nice to see Natives get away from all the hate and ignorance they display while blaming the white man and society for so many of their problems. Blind hate and ignorance has done them no good time to change their ways on that.
If that vision/imagination were to be used in constructive ways, we might actually see some change in the world
. Yes your right if Natives were to use their vision/imagination in constructive ways there's no telling what they could achieve. It's a real shame they take such a negative vision and carry on in such destructive ways towards their own.

Instead, people generally take the path of least resistance. It's easier to go with what you know, what you've been conditioned to go with than to change the road you know to the one not yet traveled.
Agreed and it's a real shame that Natives have come to take the path of least residents and have become accustom to taking charitable hand outs from Canadian and provincial governments , instead of working for things the way the rest of society in Canada does.

Fear is the root of it. Those who cannot take that road, are fearful of the unknown. It's easier to go with what you know
. Agree with you again it's to bad that Natives fear the unknown , and continue with their known which is that someone else will pay your way and take responsibility for your actions or lack there of.

None of this applies to all Natives , but it does apply to a far to many of them.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

I abhor violence. Mr. Adder's comments are extremely provocative. If his vision of the future of Canada was to come true, I believe what it would provoke is violence. Mr. Adder has a number of fellow travellers. They blockade roads and bridges and take over offices. We haven't seen them around here for a little while, but they're out there. I'm not sure which group was occupying the Williams Lake Band offices the other day, but I'll go out on a limb for the moment and presume it was people of that ilk. The aboriginals of the future are becoming successful entrepreneurs, successful bureaucrats, successful lawyers and other professionals. They will be eloquent like Mr. Adder, but unlike Mr. Adder (apparently) they will be oriented to positive lives in an accepting society. I don't think a Mr. Adder should be an "Uncle Tom", he should be proud of his heritage, but I don't know where his bitterness is going to get him.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

dieseluphammerdown wrote:.
I agree it would sure be nice to see Natives get away from all the hate and ignorance they display while blaming the white man and society for so many of their problems. Blind hate and ignorance has done them no good time to change their ways on that.

Then you'll be happy to know there are actually very few Natives that fit the profile you've drawn. It's always nice to see the same ol' rhetoric displayed though.

Yes your right if Natives were to use their vision/imagination in constructive ways there's no telling what they could achieve. It's a real shame they take such a negative vision and carry on in such destructive ways towards their own.

Once again, you'll be happy to know that there are few Natives that fit the profile you are again, tossing in like a white towel. Is this a sign?

Agreed and it's a real shame that Natives have come to take the path of least residents and have become accustom to taking charitable hand outs from Canadian and provincial governments , instead of working for things the way the rest of society in Canada does.

I'm starting to see your true colors. Your comments are ignorant and inflammatory. I'm hoping that your lack of maturity when posting doesn't reflect how you treat people in "real life". Sadly, I suspect you are exactly as you present yourself.

Agree with you again it's to bad that Natives fear the unknown , and continue with their known which is that someone else will pay your way and take responsibility for your actions or lack there of.

None of this applies to all Natives, but it does apply to a far to many of them.

Unfortunate as it is for you, your panties are showing and there's toilet paper hanging out the back. I'm advising you as discretely as I can, but it really isn't easy to hide just what you are in public when you dress and act as you are. Think about it. Do you really intend to come across as a racist, filled with hate and ignorance? If not, you really need to change your approach, and fix that tail.

Your last line, being your sad attempt to cover your racism and ignorance, doesn't work for you. Too late. You're just highlighting the facts now.

You make it easy for me. Keep posting. Let it go. Tell us all how you really feel. Hold back nothing.

:popcorn:
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I guess no use talking about the Indian act with Graham as he must think it has to do with India. Perhaps he thinks the Indians who named their own golf course "Indian Lakes" are racist too?
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Do many people even know what benefits or anything thats available to Aboriginals. I have bits and pieces of an idea but mainly what probably racist people have told me.
I think there`s a lot of misconceptions.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

jimmy4321 wrote:Do many people even know what benefits or anything thats available to Aboriginals. I have bits and pieces of an idea but mainly what probably racist people have told me.
I think there`s a lot of misconceptions.

Many people know what is available to themselves, but things differ across the board.
Some have made treaty negotiations that include things others do not benefit from.
It really depends on the band, but overall there are few things shared across the board.

Return to “Canada”