Health Canada to Approve Irradiated Beef

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Health Canada to Approve Irradiated Beef

Post by oneh2obabe »

Labelling

Regulations for the labelling of irradiated foods are administered by the CFIA and apply equally to all domestic and imported foods sold in Canada. The labelling regulations as outlined in the FDR require the identification of wholly irradiated foods on the labels of prepackaged products, as well as signs on accompanying bulk displays of irradiated foods. The label or sign must clearly reveal that the food has been irradiated with both a written statement and the following international symbol [B.01.035, FDR]:

Acceptable written statements to accompany this symbol include "irradiated", "treated with radiation" or "treated by irradiation" as these statements clearly reveal that the food has been irradiated.

Irradiated ingredients that constitute more than 10 percent of the final food must be identified in the list of ingredients as "irradiated" [B.01.035(6), FDR]. Shipping containers also require the identification of wholly irradiated foods with a written statement such as "irradiated", "treated with radiation" or "treated by irradiation" but do not require the international symbol [B.01.035(7), (8), FDR]. Advertisements for irradiated foods must clearly reveal that the food has been irradiated [B.01.035(9), FDR].

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/labell ... 4596074872
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

" if you don’t like the labelling/lack of labelling announced in the near future, then that would be an entirely different discussion."

By what logic? Of course it's part of the topic. It's contained in the article posted in the seed post.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

pepsilover wrote: As it stands, it seems that irradiation would serve the purpose of those who don't know how to cook ground beef properly, or have a meat thermometer.

There are many other ways to get e-coli with under cooked meat only being one of them. If you touch the ground beef and then don't wash properly immediately can get the bacteria in your system and that has nothing to do with how well it is cooked! Anything that can reduce the risk is a good thing and being properly informed is one way.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

A hundred years ago when everyone ate 100% fresh organic food, the average Canadian life expectancy was 50...
There's something to be said for living better through chemistry.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

oneh2obabe wrote:Labelling

Regulations for the labelling of irradiated foods are administered by the CFIA and apply equally to all domestic and imported foods sold in Canada. The labelling regulations as outlined in the FDR require the identification of wholly irradiated foods on the labels of prepackaged products, as well as signs on accompanying bulk displays of irradiated foods. The label or sign must clearly reveal that the food has been irradiated with both a written statement and the following international symbol [B.01.035, FDR]:

Acceptable written statements to accompany this symbol include "irradiated", "treated with radiation" or "treated by irradiation" as these statements clearly reveal that the food has been irradiated.

Irradiated ingredients that constitute more than 10 percent of the final food must be identified in the list of ingredients as "irradiated" [B.01.035(6), FDR]. Shipping containers also require the identification of wholly irradiated foods with a written statement such as "irradiated", "treated with radiation" or "treated by irradiation" but do not require the international symbol [B.01.035(7), (8), FDR]. Advertisements for irradiated foods must clearly reveal that the food has been irradiated [B.01.035(9), FDR].

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/labell ... 4596074872

Good to know, and that's WHY I bring up this kind of topic. I've never noticed that little green symbol, I don't believe that what is 'supposed to be done' is necessarily done, and it seems one has to be a scientist now in order to buy food. What used to be a 15 minute shopping trip now takes over an hour as we read all the labels to decide if our food is safe or not. Thanks for making my point.

Seriously, how many people do you think KNOW this? (what you just posted). They should. But Health Canada is counting on the fact that you DON'T.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Hurtlander wrote:A hundred years ago when everyone ate 100% fresh organic food, the average Canadian life expectancy was 50...
There's something to be said for living better through chemistry.

That has more to do with the invention of antibiotics and vaccines, not mutated food.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Bsuds wrote:
There are many other ways to get e-coli with under cooked meat only being one of them. If you touch the ground beef and then don't wash properly immediately can get the bacteria in your system and that has nothing to do with how well it is cooked! Anything that can reduce the risk is a good thing and being properly informed is one way.

Anything? Well that's where we part ways then.

How about personal responsibility? Wash your hands, cook your meat. You do realize that our bodies have e-coli inside them all the time don't you, in our feces? That's why there is so much emphasis on 'washing your hands after you go to the bathroom'.

The way to get e-coli is to transfer it from poop to your mouth. Guess there's a lot of other things that 'need to be done' to avoid such a practice.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

pepsilover wrote:How about personal responsibility? Wash your hands, cook your meat. You do realize that our bodies have e-coli inside them all the time don't you, in our feces? That's why there is so much emphasis on 'washing your hands after you go to the bathroom'.

The way to get e-coli is to transfer it from poop to your mouth. Guess there's a lot of other things that 'need to be done' to avoid such a practice.

Exactly my point about being informed which includes knowing how your food is being processed and choosing according to your own preferences.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

pepsilover wrote:Seriously, how many people do you think KNOW this? (what you just posted). They should. But Health Canada is counting on the fact that you DON'T.

*removed*

The people who want to know what's going on with their food know. The people who don't want to know don't know. All it takes nowadays to check something is a Google search. Nothing is being hidden here and store managers are more than happy to answer any questions about products. I know at least one store in West Kelowna readily gives consumers sheets upon sheets of information on products if requested.
Last edited by ferri on May 30th, 2016, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Barney Google wrote:Canadians need to demand clear and understandable labeling of all foods. It seems like ever day we move further and further away from natural healthy foods. It truly disgusts me how our food sources are being 'tainted' by science.

And those who can afford it and can source it, need to buy from small farms.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 30th, 2016, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

"They're" frickin' wit' our food!

I think since we've all become aware of E-coli, it's best to assume that anything prepared, processed or packaged by the filthy hands of others with little to no regard for the health of those on the receiving end, needs to be treated accordingly.
Any veggies that come into this home get washed with vinegar before being used. All meats are prepared well done.

I can look after myself, without the level of government intervention we are seeing.

Seems lately there have been far too many articles regarding how our foods are being monopolized, controlled and even altered to suit the agenda of someone other than the consumer. It's frightening to know that we cannot trust anyone supplying us with sustenance. The people we elect to look out for us at the big table, or those we put in charge of making decisions in our best interest do not fulfill the obligations ex[expected.

The wisest thing to do would be to go back to basics.
That's where I'm headed now. I'm heading toward getting off foods that I can't harvest from the wild or raise or grow myself. If I knew the sources of my food better, I could build trust with the farmer or rancher. Without knowing the source, and without having trust in our system, it just gets harder each year to eat responsibly, healthy and ethically, as the powers that be become more and more infected themselves.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Yay! Another food related trend for people to make uninformed conclusions about. Come on everyone! Let's jump on the bandwagon! Choo choo! :fence:

;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

That should be chew, chew!

Return to “Canada”