Kevin O'Leary Joins Conservative Party

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Kevin O'Leary Joins Conservative Party

Post by Catri »

pepsilover wrote:So that's all you've got? OK, well his father died and he had a step-father. I'm sure if you go to Ancestry.com you can figure it out.

Your contempt was obvious, your humour not so much.

I think you're confused about his pedigree. His father (not stepfather) was Irish. His mother was born in Canada to Lebanese parents. He was raised in the upper middle class by his mother (the CEO of her family's company) and his stepfather (the UN economist). I'm not contemptuous of any of that. What I mock is the claim that he's the child of hardworking immigrants and the implication that he started off in a position of poverty, both of which are false.

I'm sorry you don't recognise humour, I think it was pretty obvious to most readers.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

d0nb wrote:...Aside from the fact that he appears on BNN, was the star of a couple of shows on CBC and has now graduated to a US network show, I know nothing about Kevin O'Leary or his administrative philosophy. ...

I feel pretty much the same d0nb...I do know a little of O'Leary's history (pretty much the same as Pepsi has posted) and think he might share some of the few positive attributes that Trump has. Time and further investigation and research will allow for a more educated and informed opinion.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Catri wrote:
I think you're confused about his pedigree. His father (not stepfather) was Irish. His mother was born in Canada to Lebanese parents. He was raised in the upper middle class by his mother (the CEO of her family's company) and his stepfather (the UN economist). I'm not contemptuous of any of that. What I mock is the claim that he's the child of hardworking immigrants and the implication that he started off in a position of poverty, both of which are false.

I'm sorry you don't recognise humour, I think it was pretty obvious to most readers.

You weren't being funny, you were just being mean. That's why I don't see the humour. And I'm not confused about anything, but if I ever decide to search my family tree again I'll give you a 'hey'. :200:

Also, you referring to his mother as 'CEO' is very disgenuous, since she was a seamstress who took over the family business when his father died. I guess that indeed would make her the CEO. lol Try being a bit more honest and representing what truly transpired.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Okay so you think I'm a big meanie. I'm fine with that, but I didn't misrepresent anything.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Catri wrote:Okay so you think I'm a big meanie. I'm fine with that, but I didn't misrepresent anything.

You have no idea what I think about you. Chances are you wouldn't be 'fine with that' though. :smt045
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Back on topic NOW.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 1st, 2016, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Barney Google wrote:So Hurt, what characteristics do you look for in a Canadian PM?
1. Cooperate with others

Just to clairify...

Sociopath

It is also important to actually look up the requirements to be diagnosed for sociopath and psychopath instead of just looking at a very broad definition (it just happens to fall under the antisocial personality disorder, but doesn't always mean the person is what we consider "antisocial")... not all sociopaths and psychopaths are killers, actually many very successful people fall under the category as well.

I'll link a website that offers some of the sociopathic and psychopathic traits used in diagnosing these mental disorders. I would say that O'Leary falls under some of them, but it is hard to say because what one sees on TV could be a lot different then real life.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201305/how-spot-sociopath
hail Satan y'all
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

I'll link a website that offers some of the sociopathic and psychopathic traits used in diagnosing these mental disorders. I would say that O'Leary falls under some of them, but it is hard to say because what one sees on TV could be a lot different then real life.

I think I read somewhere a few years back that both actors and politicians tend to have some sociopathic qualities.....
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Muzza wrote:I think I read somewhere a few years back that both actors and politicians tend to have some sociopathic qualities.....

Very true, that is what I learned in Psych at least. Some of the most well known socio/psychopathic traits are superficial charm, being manipulative, lack of remorse and empathy, and extreme cockiness. All traits needed to get to the top, and not caring who you hurt to get there.
hail Satan y'all
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 1st, 2016, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

Actually narcissm is what is most associated with politicians and actors. (I posted this under a Trump thread but O'Leary seems to have some of those traits too

Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a disorder that is characterized by a long-standing pattern of grandiosity (either in fantasy or actual behavior), an overwhelming need for admiration, and usually a complete lack of empathy toward others.

https://www.google.ca/#q=what+is+a+narcissist

The American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders defines narcissism is a spectrum disorder, which means it exists on a continuum ranging from a few narcissistic traits to the full-blown personality disorder with 9 classified traits.
• is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty or ideal love
• Shows arrogance, haughty behaviors or attitudes.
• Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).
• Requires excessive admiration.
• Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations.
• Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e. takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends.
• Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.
• Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her.
• Shows arrogance, haughty behaviors or attitudes.
Narcissists are typically:
Charming : Skilled at reflecting back others feelings, telling them what they want to hear.
Astute: Can quickly figure out some creative angle to outsmart most folks. Always ahead of game and ready to discredit and destroy, humiliate and obliterate those not on board with them.
Great storyteller: Never boring. Can mesmerize with stories and their own rewriting of events. Keen students of human nature, to further their power, their stature and influence. Exaggerate their claims and position.
Believable: Work hard at being believable about their myths of themselves. Can change numbers and facts to suit their arguments to snare you in. Play the game of appearing magnanimous setting you up to later trash or destroy you if you not onside.
Able to cover tracks: Exaggerate own accomplishments. Quick to blame others and deficiencies of others. Rarely apologize or admit to any failure.
Among the greatest actors in the world: Divert attention and give appearances that are not necessarily true. Can change roles to suit the situation. Zealously protect the image and myth of themselves they have created and believe in their own mind. Not above using intimidation to protect that image.
Rosemary1 Board Meister Posts: 568 Likes: 374 postsLiked in: 397 postsJoined: Jan 24th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Return to “Canada”