Liberal climate change hypocrisy

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liberal climate change hypocrisy

Post by Rwede »

WATCH: Premier Wynne leaves climate change announcement in gas guzzling SUV

The Premier wants you in an electric car but...

Posted on 6/8/2016 10:40 AM by Dave Bradley

Premier Kathleen Wynne was at the Evergreen Brickworks in Toronto on Wednesday laying out the plan to fight climate change in the province.

Part of the plan is to encourage Ontarians to get behind the wheel of an electric car with a 'cash for clunkers' program.

That encourages people to trade in their inefficient, older vehicles, for newer vehicles.

But with that in mind, the Premier left the event in a Chevrolet Suburban, which comes with a V8 engine.

- See the video at: http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/2016/0 ... jChDj.dpuf
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Liberal climate change hypocrisy

Post by Rosemary1 »

The saying of 'lead by example' seems to escape most politicians
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

That's not what hypocrisy means. I'm all for vehicles that are better for the environment too but until they make an electric 4x4 truck capable of towing and climbing mountains I do not a viable alternative.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

JLives wrote:That's not what hypocrisy means. I'm all for vehicles that are better for the environment too but until they make an electric 4x4 truck capable of towing and climbing mountains I do not a viable alternative.
What does that have to do with her and where this venue was held? There didn't appear to be any mountains to climb, or 4x4ing to do.
Wouldn't something a little more economical have been more appropriate giving the speech she had just given.?
Hypocrisy is more than an appropriate title for this thread given her vehicle of choice following her speech.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

JLives wrote:That's not what hypocrisy means. I'm all for vehicles that are better for the environment too but until they make an electric 4x4 truck capable of towing and climbing mountains I do not a viable alternative.

Is there a single road in Toronto that Wynne needed a massive V8 4x4 Suburban to navigate? Not to my knowledge, and I've traveled around that city a fair bit. Wouldn't a Prius have made the trip just as well, and been more fitting for the occasion?

Please *removed* , defending Wynne's poor judgment and hypocrisy is not helping credibility here. I think there always comes a time when even the most die-hard climate gurus like yourself need to place blame exactly where it belongs.
Last edited by ferri on Jun 9th, 2016, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: do not use real names of fellow posters please!
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Really Rwede? Then why did you leave the very last paragraph out of your OP? That is a deliberate misrepresentation of the facts. This took me all of 15 seconds on Google to find.

When asked about it, after the fact, Environment Minister Glen Murray says the OPP dictates which type of vehicle the Premier rides in, and they don't have an electric or hybrid vehicle that meets that requirement.

He says within the next two years, they are committed to becoming a 'net-zero' government.

- See more at: http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/2016/0 ... YuGLT.dpuf
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

^^^ More defence of hypocrisy. Premier Wynne can dictate the type of vehicle she rides in. The OPP report to her. If she were at all serious about her climate impact, she would do so, and set an example, like a real leader.

That section of the story, BTW, was not in the link when I posted the original, and is obviously an after-the-fact add on by the news site. And if I posted a whole article, ferri would slap me silly, anyway.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Rwede wrote:^^^ More defence of hypocrisy. Premier Wynne can dictate the type of vehicle she rides in. The OPP report to her. If she were at all serious about her climate impact, she would do so, and set an example, like a real leader.

That section of the story, BTW, was not in the link when I posted the original, and is obviously an after-the-fact add on by the news site. And if I posted a whole article, ferri would slap me silly, anyway.

No, she can't. Same with any other Premier or the Prime Minister. It's security protocal. You're smarter than this Rwede.

As far as believing that section of the story wasn't there, you have cried wolf and cherry picked too many times to be believed. There is nothing in the link to indicate it was edited or updated.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

JLives wrote:No, she can't. Same with any other Premier or the Prime Minister. It's security protocal. You're smarter than this Rwede.

As far as believing that section of the story wasn't there, you have cried wolf and cherry picked too many times to be believed. There is nothing in the link to indicate it was edited or updated.

If the CEO of your company tells you to do it this way, you do it.

That's how it works, in case you were wondering.

Wynne has every right and every power to determine what vehicle she rides in. Period. And she chose a massive, gas-guzzling 'burban over all other choices.

Now, if I were her, I'd ride in a nice vehicle too. But then again, I wouldn't be lying to the province by telling them that they are responsible for the weather because they drive a gas-powered car, either.
K_teela
Fledgling

Post by K_teela »

Rwede wrote:
If the CEO of your company tells you to do it this way, you do it.

That's how it works, in case you were wondering.

Horrible attempt at an analogy. You considering a premier of a province to be the CEO of the Ontario police force?
No, she does not choose what vehicle that they deem to be safe to use. I doubt there is an electric vehicle capable of carrying the weight load of a vehicle with extra security measures which include bullet proof plating.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

K_teela wrote:Horrible attempt at an analogy. You considering a premier of a province to be the CEO of the Ontario police force?
No, she does not choose what vehicle that they deem to be safe to use. I doubt there is an electric vehicle capable of carrying the weight load of a vehicle with extra security measures which include bullet proof plating.

Wrong. Gangsters outfit regular passenger cars with complete protection.

Beemers like this come in hybrid power.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... s-1.857597

Wynne drives what she wants for a photo-op.

Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

We are all hypocrites then. By your logic not a single one of us could participate in any sort of positive climate change activity without being a hypocrite. I agree that leaving in an electric car would have been a great symbolic move for her, and a great show of leadership, but I don't believe it's a display of hypocrisy.

It's like calling someone who's advocating for a better public education system a hypocrite for having their kid in public school

Return to “Canada”