Lord of the Board

Re: Shame on Trudeau

Post by Hassel99 »

Omnitheo wrote:http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=64427

Dieseldown during conservative government
"Veterans have no problem with current Harper government strategy"

Dieseldown during liberal government
"Reverting to the Harper plan is a disgrace!!"

Justin should do better, but you sir have zero credibility so purhaps let those with integrity lead the moral crusade.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

The "shame" with respect to the treatment of our Canadian Veterans over the past 10 years belongs to both the past Conservative government and the current Liberal government. The past Conservative government created a poison pill with their Veterans Charter. When they put it in place, to save money and move towatds a balanced budget, they knew it would cost millions and millions to reverse their decision. The administration in the DND made sure that the publicand veteran's groups knew little about the workings and the costs of the program both fiscally and to the veterans themselves.

What is disappointing is that the current government was not willing to show complete transparency and open up the true costs and benefits of the Veterans Charter and the costs of removing it and going back to previous policy. That decision is based on embarassment prevention. The facts would embarass DND officials and especially the current Deputy Minister. It would also embarass past politicans and "endanger" any cross the aisle cooperation in Parliament. Face saving has no place here at this point. Total transparency is what is needed now.

It is important to note that both local federal politicans have not returned answers to any of questions I presented to them in correspondence. It seems that neither party wants to take any responsibility for this problem.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

From where I sit based on personal observation, I'd have to say that Canadian Veterans get treated pretty darn well, and I tend to agree that government doesn't really owe them special consideration.

We don't have the draft, so those who enter the armed forces do so by choice, and they already get all kinds of benefits regular Canadians don't.

I know of an example where the guy never saw any combat, basically spent a couple of years on a supply ship, in the 40's, making sure they didn't run out of rum, and he's been treated like royalty at the tax payers expense for over seven decades. If that's an example of how veterans are "mistreated" I think it's time to reconsider the definition of the word.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Deean
Fledgling

Post by Deean »

I find this government totally disgusting!! This veteran fought for freedom. He should be treated with honor and respect!
Of course, Trudeau has more important things to do.....like making O Canada gender neutral.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Omnitheo wrote:http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=64427

Dieseldown during conservative government
"Veterans have no problem with current Harper government strategy"

Dieseldown during liberal government
"Reverting to the Harper plan is a disgrace!!"

How ironic that in that thread he also used the phrase, "another non issue being turned into an issue". Gives one a sense of deja vu whilst perusing some of the threads created since the Liberals won.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

another conservative legacy that would be too expensive to fix. it is shameful how the conservatives ingrained so many bad policies so deep and convoluted into budgeting and federal entities that the liberals cant fix them. at least quickly. its par for the course for right wingers the last dozen or so years of their dictatorship. prorogue and omnibus so much *bleep* into existence that it would cost too much to get rid of and find all the small print. there is enough shame to go around that all of us fanboys arent worried about some of the *bleep* harper left behind getting stuck on the bottom of justins shoes. now that he is king of the hill. at least trudeau would own his shame like a man. unlike kenny and others leaving out the back door like cowards (like haper used too) after duffy was exonerated in his part of the senate scandal afraid of the media.

Return to “Canada”