Latest moves by Trudeau on gender neutrality

davis123
Board Meister

Re: Latest moves by Trudeau on gender neutrality

Post by davis123 »

dieseluphammerdown wrote:says you.!
Why should Canadians continue to give things up or allow a change such as this all because someone decides hey i think that might be offensive or it has no place?
I find it funny how this has never been an issue until recently , and brought on i'm sure by the politically correct crusaders all in an effort to try and please everyone.
Everyone that is except those who the word "son" was put in to honor, to the crusaders they don't seem to matter and their efforts and sacrifices are lost on these politically correct crusaders.
It's a crying shame that so few today see these brave men as the ones who helped define this country, but they sure have no problem hiding behind all the rights we enjoy because of the efforts and sacrifices these men made.

I absolutely agree! This politically correct crap is just going too far, what's next, will we start changing common words to make sure they are gender neutral as well? Manitoba, as an example, I'm sure people are crying in their pillows every night because it is just soooooo unfair that it is MANitoba...my gawd people need to get a grip on reality.

Politically correct acts like this are exactly what started in Sweden before the crap hit the fan in the height of being politically correct, soon we won't even be flying our Canadian flag because it will be too offensive and unfair to the people who have immigrated from other countries, all in the name of multiculturalism and gender equality. Interestingly, they also wanted to change their National Anthem as well to not offend anyone.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/259744/ ... m-ali-pour

I think if Canada doesn't get its crap together we are headed in the same direction that Sweden chose, enough with being politically correct!

“National flags may be perceived by some as xenophobic.” Why is that? How could simply displaying your country’s own flag within that same country be xenophobic?

It’s not like these kids are chasing down Somalis in the street and hacking their heads off while waving the Swedish flag. They’re just playing soccer, for God’s sake!

The reason that the national flag is xenophobic is because it represents a nation.

If you are a member of the Multicultural elite, then you believe that the nation-state is outmoded, and should no longer be used as a political construct in arranging human affairs. Therefore, anyone who embraces, supports or refers to a nation is an atavism, and inherently a racist and a xenophobe.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

It's already started and you'll be hearing a lot more about it:

http://www.citylab.com/navigator/2015/0 ... ns/407167/

Get ready for the move away from he, she, her, him and be prepared for ne, ve, ze, xe . . .
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 22nd, 2016, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: try again without flaming.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Urbane wrote:It's already started and you'll be hearing a lot more about it:

http://www.citylab.com/navigator/2015/0 ... ns/407167/

Get ready for the move away from he, she, her, him and be prepared for ne, ve, ze, xe . . .
I find this extremely sad and disheartening. Political correctness and catering to the needs of a very small minority to this extreme is over the top .
This is no longer about acceptance it's about catering to the vocal very tiny minority that is offended by everything that doesn't suit their very narrow self serving views.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
icanthearyou
Fledgling

Post by icanthearyou »

Urbane wrote:You missed the point that the author was making in 1914 when he made the change. Have a read - excerpt:

The Canadian national anthem is a historical artifact. It is based on a song by Robert Stanley Weir that, like it or not, reflects the period in which it was written. In fact, the lyrics “in all thy sons” were added in 1914 to reflect the men who were involved in the First World War, a conflict in which we suffered devastating losses while proving ourselves on the battlefield and on the world stage.

The 1914 lyrics encapsulate and commemorate a time when Canada began to come into its own as an independent nation and move further away from the influence of the British Empire. To change the lyrics now to make them more gender neutral is akin to rewriting history textbooks to claim there was gender parity at the Charlottetown Conference.
Full article: http://thefulcrum.ca/opinions/o-canada-lyrics-changed/

Sorry, but you missed the fact the fulrum is a student publication for the U of Ottawa. The "article" you listed is an editorial opinion (because it's in the "opinions" section) written by a student

the difference

An editorial is an opinion, openly expressed as such. Even though the writer might not use first person writing, the author’s voice is very clearly present. A news article is found in the news section, and there are various kinds of news sections: international, local, news of the town, business news. Ideally, news articles are unbiased and objective. They present facts or report other people’s opinions, such as those of witnesses or experts. In general, a news article is supposed to be neutral and an editorial is supposed to be opinionated.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I'm sorry that you're offended by the evolution of language. I see no problem with gender neutral pronouns. Afterall most of the English language is already gender neutral as opposed to some other langauges which apply genders to most words.

Saying Ze is simpler than saying "he or she". Currently in English, male gender is often assumed in written works, and instructions or documentation that should be gender neutral will state Him or He. I think it's good that we are coming up with new words that can fit this purpose without suggesting a specific gender.

Language changes Afterall. It's not often that we use words like thy or thou anymore either, so I don't see what people would be up in arms over.

Just easily emotional people offended by the reality of change and evolution.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Omnitheo wrote:I'm sorry that you're offended by the evolution of language. I see no problem with gender neutral pronouns. Afterall most of the English language is already gender neutral as opposed to some other langauges which apply genders to most words.

Saying Ze is simpler than saying "he or she". Currently in English, male gender is often assumed in written works, and instructions or documentation that should be gender neutral will state Him or He. I think it's good that we are coming up with new words that can fit this purpose without suggesting a specific gender.

Language changes Afterall. It's not often that we use words like thy or thou anymore either, so I don't see what people would be up in arms over.

LOL really saying ze is easier than saying he? how so? How about he, she, or it? it is gender neutral and already an existing word so no need to invent new ones.

And please don't refer to me as a ze, i find the word highly offensive. See how easy it is to be offended and demand change.
I was going to say it borders on being just plain sill, but there is no borders on, it is just plain silly.
Whats wrong with identifying specific genders? seeing as humans only have two genders male and female.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 22nd, 2016, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic/baiting
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

icanthearyou wrote:Sorry, but you missed the fact the fulrum is a student publication for the U of Ottawa. The "article" you listed is an editorial opinion (because it's in the "opinions" section) written by a student

Can you point out which facts are incorrect in the opinion piece? If not I'm not sure what your point is. Again, I won't lose any sleep when the words are officially changed but I really think that some of you need to back away from the literal-minded thinking and look at the context.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Omnitheo wrote:I'm sorry that you're offended by the evolution of language. I see no problem with gender neutral pronouns. Afterall most of the English language is already gender neutral as opposed to some other langauges which apply genders to most words.

If you want to use gender neutral pronouns be my guest. Those who want these gender neutral pronouns are the ones who are "up in arms" trying to change something that doesn't need changing. I don't see the point in "de-genderizing" everything. Why the need? Why can't we celebrate the genders and even celebrate the differences between the genders?
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

*Removed

Some people might not appreciate being labelled as a specific gender, or being excluded due to the restrictions of gender and wording under older language standards. I've read some of your friend's posts on this same topic, she doesn't feel it's necessary to include both genders when referring to those who made sacrifices for this nation. I don't agree with her point, as both genders have contributed significantly to this nation, and to ignore them or apply the wrong gender variants when referring to them in language just isn't necessary when we can easily use new non-exclusive words or phrasing.
Last edited by Frisk on Jun 22nd, 2016, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unnecessary remark
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

This isn't about celebrating the difference between genders, it's about providing opportunity to not fit under the label of a gender. There are reasons why one might want to do this.

For instance I do not know what genders everyone is here, I could make assumptions and say he or him for everything, but that would discount that many may be woman. Some may wish to keep this confidential. Reasons could include perceptions and biases people make based on genders.

The word "it" is very impersonal and applies something is more of a thing than a person.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Sad. Some change is good and I welcome it. However, trying to de-genderize, de-personalize, and generally make the world colder and less interesting doesn't feel like a welcoming change to me. To each ze own though.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Omnitheo wrote:There are reasons why one might want to do this.

For instance I do not know what genders everyone is here, I could make assumptions and say he or him for everything, but that would discount that many may be woman. Some may wish to keep this confidential. Reasons could include perceptions and biases people make based on genders.

Yes. The reasons are incredibly stupid, but there are reasons.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Urbane wrote:Sad. Some change is good and I welcome it. However, trying to de-genderize, de-personalize, and generally make the world colder and less interesting doesn't feel like a welcoming change to me. To each ze own though.

Exactly. This kind of crap is right out of 1984. And it's disgusting.

Return to “Canada”