Trains slamming people and cars

Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Trains slamming people and cars

Post by Sonny Taylor »

I've for a long time wondered how it's possible that (to me) a surprising number of people are killed by trains.

The latest high profile incident happened in the'burbs of Toronto:
http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/service-resum ... -1.2952862

The rail line where this took place has four parallel tracks and it's one of the busiest rail corridors in Canada. Not many details are being disseminated at this time, but I can't help but think that the victim was perhaps at fault. A train takes time to stop and if the signals were working.... well (OK, maybe I'll shut up now).

I'm aware of stories of people walking the tracks with earphones on or those who've had other distractions walking the tracks. Also am aware of plenty of stories about drivers trying to beat trains over a crossing (lots of ugly incidents documented).

It's the number of deaths that floor me. If I may be so bold to ask without trying to offend.... How can people be so dumb?

What's the answer? No more level crossings of any kind? Electric fences on all rail corridors?
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Trains slamming people and cars

Post by occasional thoughts »

People with stupidity, et al, issues pay for them with their lives every day. Regrettably.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The only place one can be hit by a train is on or very near the tracks (besides a derailment, still need to be within that area). Tracks/trains are not hiding just waiting for a victim.

Pretty simple solution stay away from train tracks you will not be hit, at least not by a train.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

There are also the cliche hunters that insist on using tracks for environmental portrait photo sessions.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dangers-taking ... d=34533140
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Canada”