Liberals assault natural resource development

hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Liberals assault natural resource development

Post by hobbyguy »

Actually GB you have it sort of backwards. I was ambivalent toward Harper until the NGP proposal got underway. A quick look at what was going on screamed "nonsense" - so I started looking into the core economic performance figures and other issues relating to the Harper government. What I found was a mess.

If you will recall, part of the NGP thread strayed at the point where some who were opposed to the pipeline touted "Harper's sound economic management" as a reason for cutting the Harper government some slack on the NGP issue. At that point I shared what I had found, that the "Harper government sound economic and fiscal management" was nothing more than PR, and that actual figures and comparisons revealed a very poor economic one, and one that was placing all of Canada's eggs in one basket - bitumen sales. And several posters came to agree when they actually looked at the data.

Yes, I came to really dislike Harper - because he was corrupting our democracy and pretty much lying to the public, using taxpayer money to do so.

The NEB is/was set up as an industry captive regulator. Don't think so?? Have a look at the list of permanent members. And when I did an internet search for "NEB rejects pipeline" - guess what? Only one hit. A small natural gas feeder line. So to th best of my knowledge, the NEB has never rejected an oil, bitumen, or diluent pipeline.

Even if you are ardently pro petro development, that is pretty much an indication of "rubber stamp PR exercise" that does not really look at the public interest. Even from a pro petro development perspective, statistically (Pareto's law) 20% of projects should not make the grade.

We need these projects to be looked from a real perspective of the public interest, not the corporate "we wanna, yousa boss" rubber stamp perspective.

I am not sure that the Liberal approach will actually turn these agencies to real reviews that properly balance the public interests, but anything has to be better than what we had.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Re: Liberals assault natural resource development

Post by sooperphreek »

*applause* i definitely could not have said it better. and the key to what was said was regarding the outright lies about being best with the economy. and when they ended up lying there was no other reason to keep them around. especially when trudeau told us he was campaigning on deficits to our face.

Return to “Canada”