"Copyright Notice" from sjrb.ca

Woodenhead
Guru

Re: "Copyright Notice" from sjrb.ca

Post by Woodenhead »

stuphoto wrote:We supposedly do pay to download songs, movies, etc with the Canadian Private Copy Levy.
Which is another tax you may notice when you buy blank disks and other media we can record on.
Although I really don't know how the government distributes the money collected.

This is correct.

Just ignore such notices. Always. As soon as you see it, just delete it & forget about it.

I actually ran a torrent site for quite a few years, and even I didn't get in any trouble at all via the various mailings that I received. And I'm talking more serious & direct threats than a simple copyright notice, LOL.

More info:
A good read on this sort of thing by Canada Research Chair in Internet and E-Commerce Law (U of O)

Very brief Wiki blurb

My tl;dr version (copypasta):

The law makes it easy for copyright owners to send infringement notices to ISPs, who are legally required to forward the notifications to their subscribers. The personal information of subscribers is not disclosed to the copyright owner.

Despite the promise of the notice-and-notice system, it has been misused virtually from the moment it took effect with copyright owners exploiting a loophole in the law by sending settlement demands within the notices.

To date, nobody has successfully sued a downloader for non-commercial infringement in Canada. There is a damages cap ($5000) that makes it cost-prohibitive. However, that can be bypassed via a craftily worded notice (the above mentioned loophole) + a gullible recipient.
Your bias suits you.
brockdawson

Post by brockdawson »

i also got this email. should i be concerned?

Dear Customer,

Content owners that hold property rights for material such as movies, music and other content, actively monitor Internet activity to protect their rights. We have been notified by a content owner that it has identified your Internet Protocol (IP) address as being involved with an activity that allegedly infringes its copyright. As part of new Canadian copyright legislation, all Canadian Internet Service Providers (ISPs), including Shaw, are required by law to forward copyright notifications on behalf of rights holders to the Internet address at which an infringement is alleged to have occurred, and then to inform the copyright owner once this has been done. This is known as the �Notice and Notice regime�.
Receiving a notice does not necessarily mean that you have in fact infringed copyright or that you will be sued for copyright infringement. A copyright owner may decide to commence legal proceedings. Such proceedings may be commenced whether or not the copyright owner has sent a notice under the Notice and Notice regime. A court would then determine whether copyright infringement actually occurred.

Please note that Shaw is unaware of the full details and merit of the infringement claim and will not provide any information regarding customers' accounts to rights holders, unless we receive a Canadian court order directing us to do so.

The Notice and Notice regime does not impose any obligation on an internet user who receives a notice of alleged infringement to do anything or to contact the copyright owner or its representative who is alleging infringement. More particularly, there is no legal obligation to make any settlement payment requested by a copyright owner. Such settlement proposals are sometimes included in a notice.
If you have questions concerning the notice, you may contact the content owner directly using the contact information set out in the notice. Many notices are generated automatically and contain text written with foreign law in mind. Please note that U.S. copyright fines and penalties do not apply in Canada and statutory damages for non-commercial infringement in Canada do not exceed $5,000 per proven infringement.?
It is possible that a notice pertains to acts by someone using your Internet connection without your knowledge. We encourage you to use secure passwords on your home network to avoid unauthorized use of your Internet connection.

If you would like additional information about the Notice and Notice regime, please visit Government of Canada�s website at the following link:

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc.ns ... 02920.html

Sincerely,

Shaw Cablesystems G.P
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

First off no. Secondly I would not visit any website sent to you in an e-mail from someone you don't know and even if you do know them still be careful.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Refer to page 1 of this thread
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

If you actually read what the sent you,it says.

We are required buy law to send you this communication. No action on your part is required. Shaw will not comply with 3rd part request that compromise your privacy without a Canadian court order.

It's really not so bad..

Return to “Canada”