Possible Canada Post strike

goatboy
Guru

Re: Possible Canada Post strike

Post by goatboy »

So the "Union" has rejected the latest offer, mostly because new postal employees would have a different pension plan. Wonder how most Postal Union members feel about going on strike for something that doesn't affect them at all but will end up costing them a lot of money?
Reality is, old style pension plans are just not viable and something needs to change. If it doesn't change, 30 years from now when all these new workers are going to be very surprised when there is no money left to fund their pension cheques.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

goatboy wrote:So the "Union" has rejected the latest offer, mostly because new postal employees would have a different pension plan. Wonder how most Postal Union members feel about going on strike for something that doesn't affect them at all but will end up costing them a lot of money?
Reality is, old style pension plans are just not viable and something needs to change. If it doesn't change, 30 years from now when all these new workers are going to be very surprised when there is no money left to fund their pension cheques.

Bingo!

agreed. Defined contribution is what the rest of us get...best case scenario if we get one.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Will this be a strike........... or a lockout?

The geniuses commenting here don't seem to know the difference.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

It will be a lockout, my guess. As for the pension my neighbor is in a union that voted to change the new hires to a "Plan B" pension. The thinking was that a lot of new employees do not stick around for 20 or 30 years so that the old style pension does not work for them. A new approach for pensions actually has an attractive look for the younger gen as they are not looking for 1 job for the rest of their life. I guess it could be a generation thing. I do not think that CUPW gets that.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
KelownaCC
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCC »

For people who don't understand the difference between a strike and a lockout, here is the Wikipedia definition of a lockout:

A lockout is a temporary work stoppage or denial of employment initiated by the management of a company during a labor dispute.[1] This is different from a strike, in which employees refuse to work. It is usually implemented by simply refusing to admit employees onto company premises, and may include actions such as changing locks and hiring security guards for the premises. Other implementations include a fine for showing up, or a simple refusal of clocking-in on the time clock. It is therefore referred to as the antithesis of strike

Canada Post has filed notice to lock out employees. While employees have voted to strike if necessary, the union has not given 72 hour notice.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

bob vernon wrote:Will this be a strike........... or a lockout?

The geniuses commenting here don't seem to know the difference.

The company made a final offer (one of many) and the Union did not respond to it so now Canada Post has ended the uncertainty of the Union possibly going on strike by locking them out. Could still have been avoided if the Union had been reasonable in its demands or put the final offer to a membership vote. Would at least have let the membership's position be known.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Spoke to my CP delivery guy yesterday. He didn't pull any punches, he is angry at the Union and thinks they are a bunch of morons. If it was up to him they would have taken the offer. Bottom line is he doesn't want to lose any pay over this. You would think the union would grasp this.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Spoke to my CP delivery guy yesterday. He didn't pull any punches, he is angry at the Union and thinks they are a bunch of morons. If it was up to him they would have taken the offer. Bottom line is he doesn't want to lose any pay over this. You would think the union would grasp this.

In my experience, most unionized workers hate the union just as much, or more, than the employer.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
yummyinmytummy

Post by yummyinmytummy »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Spoke to my CP delivery guy yesterday. He didn't pull any punches, he is angry at the Union and thinks they are a bunch of morons. If it was up to him they would have taken the offer. Bottom line is he doesn't want to lose any pay over this. You would think the union would grasp this.

Weird, I also just randomly started taking to my CP delivery guy yesterday about his working conditions. He's not angry at the Union and doesn't think they're a bunch of morons. If it was up to him he wouldn't have agreed to take the offer either. Bottom line, he doesn't care about losing pay over over something of such significance. I'm glad the Union grasps this.

Weird how not every union worker fits into your union-bashing narrative.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

yummyinmytummy wrote:Weird, I also just randomly started taking to my CP delivery guy yesterday about his working conditions. He's not angry at the Union and doesn't think they're a bunch of morons. If it was up to him he wouldn't have agreed to take the offer either. Bottom line, he doesn't care about losing pay over over something of such significance. I'm glad the Union grasps this.

I think you just made that up.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

It's clear that Canada Post's final offer is as good as it's going to get so the union would be wise to accept it. How about putting that final offer to a vote of the membership? If the union leaders are confident that the majority are against accepting it then what's to lose?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

yummyinmytummy wrote:
Weird, I also just randomly started taking to my CP delivery guy yesterday about his working conditions. He's not angry at the Union and doesn't think they're a bunch of morons. If it was up to him he wouldn't have agreed to take the offer either. Bottom line, he doesn't care about losing pay over over something of such significance. I'm glad the Union grasps this.

It wasn't about union-bashing, or any narrative, it was about just reporting what my mail delivery guy said. The brain-less union should take the offer, and listen to the people that pay the dues that fund their stupidity.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Urbane wrote:It's clear that Canada Post's final offer is as good as it's going to get so the union would be wise to accept it. How about putting that final offer to a vote of the membership? If the union leaders are confident that the majority are against accepting it then what's to lose?

Exactly. The CUPW is as militant and as clued out as the BCTF. What a joke. Making their membership suffer without even letting them have a say. Just awful.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Exactly. The CUPW is as militant and as clued out as the BCTF. What a joke. Making their membership suffer without even letting them have a say. Just awful.
CUPW won't let the members vote and they've turned down compulsory arbitration, which was suggested by the labour minister and agreed to by Canada Post, as a way of settling this dispute. If I were a CUPW member I wouldn't be very happy with my union.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Damn. CUPW put all that energy into ousting Harper, and here they end up without paycheques.

How's that new guy with the fancy hair-do workin' out for ya?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Canada”