Pride of Canada is an outlandish carousel

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Pride of Canada is an outlandish carousel

Post by oneh2obabe »

The City of Markham is the proud new owner of a $10-million piece of junk — and it’s beautiful.

The Pride of Canada is an outlandish carousel made from metals collected across the country, repurposed into stunning sculptures intended to share Canada’s story with Markham’s new immigrant community.

Standing some seven-metres-tall and 15-metres-wide, the mammoth 44-seater carousel features a rideable Mountie centaur, a mermaid wearing a maple leaf bra and a human-sized skate. It looks straight out of a Tim Burton movie, took two years to make and will be unveiled to the public on Canada Day.

Balance of article w/pictures
https://www.thestar.com/life/2016/07/01 ... a-day.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
looking4one
Übergod

Re: Pride of Canada is an outlandish carousel

Post by looking4one »

YUP...It's junk alright. $10 million for this? people are starving and have no place to live.....and we spend $10,000,000 on this piece of reclaimed scrap metal?..........This is far worse than the piece of barbed wire at the end of our own bridge. What a waste.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Actually we didn't pay for it ... Christopher Bratty of The Remington Group commissioned the piece. The carousel will be the centerpiece of The Remington Contemporary Art Gallery (RCAG) The Remington Group's ambitious $25 million public art initiative in Downtown Markham.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

The city should charge him with cleaning up that mess.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Because you don't like it? Let's see - Kelowna paid over $200K for a piece of twisted metal and call it art. Markham paid - oh wait, they didn't.

looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Until somebody has to haul it to the dump where it belongs......
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

It's fine. I like it better than our garbage bear or the cutlery by the lake.

Carousels are for kids, mainly. I bet they'll love it!
I haven't failed until I quit.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Someone needed a tax write off, here make ugly piece art something. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

It looks fun! It's quirky creativity.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Piecemaker wrote:It looks fun! It's quirky creativity.

Until some kid gets cut or worse. It would probably be pretty hot to sit on in the Summer time.
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

looking4one wrote: $10 million for this? people are starving

What happened to the term starving artist? This one aint starving. Took 2 years to make, 5 mill a year, pretty good income.
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

I feel like I've just paid a visit to the inner workings of the brain of our PM. We should call the piece 'The Post National State of Mind.'

Eerie. :200:
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

oneh2obabe wrote:Because you don't like it? Let's see - Kelowna paid over $200K for a piece of twisted metal and call it art. Markham paid - oh wait, they didn't.

It's a piece of art? It looks like an extraordinarily malevolent TV antenna.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
damager

Post by damager »

thread title had me thinking this was about lgbt rights

Return to “Canada”