Raped but cops do nothing

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Raped but cops do nothing

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby oneh2obabe » 6 minutes ago

Donald, if it was a "White Woman" who cried rape, the police would have been all over the scene like white on rice.

You could be right but I see nothing in the information to support your unfounded allegation. All police officers are not the same and I see nothing that would allow me to determine what the attitude of the police officer was who took her complaint, nor what her attitude or condition was at the time of the alleged rape and assault.

WADR it is not possible for any unbiased person to form a conclusion out of the information in the article and jumping to unfounded conclusions is unacceptable. The alleged victim may be telling the truth or lying just as happens with ANY man or woman.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Barney Google wrote:This is good advice Gixxer.
In the last 12 months I have been in the KGH ER when on three different occasions rape victims have been admitted. I was quite shaken at what went on in all three instances. Despite what careful thought out steps are taken and compassion extended - each on of these women were surviving on pure animal instinct. In each instance the staff was GREAT and did the best they could given the circumstances but the emotional and physical state of these women was unbelievable. Going through the process, from what I could hear, appeared to be almost as devastating as the attacks themselves. It's an extremely difficult process and I can sure understand why some women would be afraid to put themselves through that.
The raw emotion and very obvious devastation and terror was simply terrible...I cannot image what it's like to handle that and live life after.
I know I will never be the same after hearing what these victims were going through.
Made me want to get in my truck and do some 'hunting' of my own.

Unfortunately not all our hospitals are like that. Here a young teen was raped and attacked by his dog. The local care center was rude and VERY unprofessional. The friend of the victim voiced her displeasure and they left. Went to PGH where it was handled properly.

She is FN. The police have yet to arrest the attacker, maybe because of his race, they know who he is.

The doctor in charge is on his way out.

Those who don't think there is a double standard for FN people, and those of a certain race need to wake up.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Postby Barney Google » 3 minutes ago

I cannot imagine what it's like to handle that and live life after.

In real life most children who are sexually abused and adult women who are raped NEVER do get completely over their experience. Like the death of a child or some similar extremely traumatic they learn to live with it. Some better than others.

How such victims are handled by the police and the medical staff is a significant part of the healing process in coming to terms that it is not their fault and, IN YOUR EYES, they have not been made dirty or degraded by what was done to them by an evil person.

Almost all street level prostitutes, especially those who are also addicts, are the product of child sexual assault.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Postby driveangry » 11 minutes ago

Those who don't think there is a double standard for FN people, and those of a certain race need to wake up.

As a person who spent 32 years as a police officer dealing with drugs and serious sexual offenses (including murder) both on and off of Native Reserves your BLANKET statement that there is a double standard regarding FN people by the police and medical staff in Western Canada can not be supported. It is not a perfect world but by and large the police, medical staff and Human Resources do one hell of a credible job in dealing with a situation that most people do not even know exists.

That includes in treating FN people just as they would a person of any other race or lifestyle. I know because I have worked with them for years.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Donald G wrote:How such victims are handled by the police and the medical staff is a significant part of the healing process in coming to terms that it is not their fault and, IN YOUR EYES, they have not been made dirty or degraded by what was done to them by an evil person....

I guess my post didn't convey my experience...I did not think the police or medical staff did anything wrong. That was the furthest thing from what I was trying to say.

I have worked with many young people who have been sexually and physically abused...you are very correct...they NEVER get 'over it'...they learn to live with it.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Donald G wrote:As a person who spent 32 years as a police officer dealing with drugs and serious sexual offenses (including murder) both on and off of Native Reserves your BLANKET statement that there is a double standard regarding FN people by the police and medical staff in Western Canada can not be supported. It is not a perfect world but by and large the police, medical staff and Human Resources do one hell of a credible job in dealing with a situation that most people do not even know exists.

That includes in treating FN people just as they would a person of any other race or lifestyle. I know because I have worked with them for years.

Not true, I know because I've lived with them for years.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Barney Google ...

I obviously misunderstood your comment to mean that you found the normal victim reaction surprising. Sorry.

Keep up the absolutely necessary work with victims of sexual assaults. It is one of the areas where caring and knowledgeable people CAN make a significant difference. That is both with the victim and, through the victim, to protect society from the self destructive lifestyle that all too many untreated victims of rape and abuse end up living.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Postby driveangry » 1 minute ago

Not true, I know because I've lived with them for years.

WADR you have an opinion based on what you saw or heard regarding FN people. I have an opinion based on what I did in working with FN women as victims. We can argue aimlessly for years or we can agree to differ. So be it.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

looking4one wrote:Again, my apologies if I am not politically correct with my comment.
Take out the fact that she is a native. She waited 2 days to report the crime. She waited 1 year before filing a complaint against the police. NOW she claims racism? Something just doesn't add up here, and since all we have to go on is a newspaper reporter's article and no other evidence.......I think that we should wait for the other side to say something before passing judgement.

You are just trying to insert common sense and rational thinking into this thread... what are you thinking. If the victim of a rape waits two days before informing the police of the event, and has washed away all of the forensic/biological evidence, it is not likely that any police investigator would anticipate even the slightest chance of successfully presenting sufficient evidence to prosecute her attacker. Waiting two days to report would [in every instance] raise some question as to the credibility of the victim and her complaint... that is a reality. Perhaps there was a credible reason why there was a two day delay, but none has been offered. Reason or not, the evidence was gone. It is very likely the police informed this victim of the difficulties presented through her delay. I would think that the investigators would have made attempts to identify the person she was accusing of rape and would have documented all of those details. They might well have even approached and interviewed the guy. It is absolutely untrue that the police do not investigate and prosecute individuals for sexual assaults against aboriginal women, and to make that kind of general, unqualified accusation is irresponsible. Do some cases involving aboriginal and non-aboriginal victims fail in court. Absolutely, and we all are familiar with the kind of circumstances that bring about those failed prosecutions. It doesn't matter what race a victim is, in this day and age, everybody knows the importance of reporting such crimes right away and of the need for medical examinations and evidence collection. Failing to report the crime in a timely manner should not end up being an accusation of racism on the part of the police. We obviously don't know enough about the other side of the story to draw any conclusions about police wrong doing, racism or anything else. As has been suggested, something just doesn't add up with this accusation. She has alleged a sexual assault took place. If the police determined there was no chance of getting the evidence necessary to prove the sexual assault, that would not have removed the lesser offense of assault at one level or another.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

There is no limitation of action on sexual assault. I have successfully investigated and charged an offender for a violent rapes that took place 12 years previous. A native female who had been repeatedly sexually used by her father and uncle for years as a child was raped by a white male. The white male got 23 years in jail for the recent violent series of rapes on the Native victim.

Out of the hundred or so child sexual assaults that I personally investigated the largest number involved a white offender and a white child. I never encountered a case of a white male sexually abusing a native child. Family pressures and the lack of community support seriously inhibit Native youth and adults from reporting sexual assaults on the various reserves. Most such sexual assaults are native male offenders and Native female victims.

Street level addicted prostitutes are invariably victims of child sexual abuse, whether native or white.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Treblehook ...

It is absolutely untrue that the police do not investigate and prosecute individuals for sexual assaults against aboriginal women, and to make that kind of general, unqualified accusation is irresponsible.

That statement is the absolute truth although there is a difference in the effort put forth and the ability of various police officers to investigate sexual assaults. The Willie Picton and the Pig Farm investigation was a classic example of child sexual abuse causing prostitution and leading to murder in both the Native and White culture. It is also a classic example of the vast differences in the ability and predisposition of VCP and RCMP officers to uncover and investigate sexual assaults.

Return to “Canada”