Prison Farms

Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Prison Farms

Post by Barney Google »

This is a Liberal government consideration and concept I could get behind...

Prison farms may reopen

"Pat Kincaid credits the dairy cows on a now-shuttered prison farm in Ontario with teaching him the skills he needed to break a life-long cycle of crime and incarceration.

The 65-year-old Kingston, Ont., resident, who has spent a total of 35 years behind bars for assaults, thefts and other property crimes, hopes other inmates get the chance to benefit from a program the federal Liberal government is now considering reopening.

"There's not a program in jail, even today, that can teach those skills that the cows have taught me by working with them," said Kincaid, who's been out of prison for seven years.

"The cows taught me patience and how to control my anger, and how to deal with being upset...I know it helped other inmates too."

The 2010 closure of the country's prison farms by the then-Conservative government — six in total operating at institutions in New Brunswick, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta — was highly controversial...."

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/170 ... may-reopen
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Prison Farms

Post by bob vernon »

Wouldn't it be better to go with the tried and true Conservative way? Keeping prisoners locked up in their cells and not giving them an opportunity to learn some skills on the farm? They're far more likely to re-offend if they come out after serving their time having learned zero while inside. What good is it to learn how to learn how to operate, and do maintenance, on farm machinery, and work as part of a team?

On top of all that, the prison farm actually grows a lot of the food for the prison. This prevents party insiders having access to contracts to provide the food for the prison. It's just not right. This is just more leftist nonsense. The Conservative way is always best.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

^^^ and your point is?

This is a model that the Conservatives stopped that the Liberals are considering reinstating.

I think it's a pretty kewl concept.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It's a great concept. It's more humane. It's more productive. It's more effective. It seems it would be more cost effective as they become more self sufficient. Outside of the worst of the worst offenders (Pickton and Bernardo types) this should be the norm for our prisons.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

I think it would be great for everyone if the inmates could learn to farm their own food. Every aspect from the birth of a mammal, through raising it, and eating it. Same for the veggies that accompany that meat.
So much to be learned. Birth, life, death, responsibility, butchering, cooking, propagation, seedlings, growth, harvesting, preparation, cooking, consuming, sanitation and nutrition.
Education and appreciation of everything available on this earth to support humans and how delicate and valuable all life is, and how balance is maintained.
You get back more than what you put in. Prison farms would be a great asset to the inmates and the general population by showing that people can change, and become worthwhile contributors to everyone else.
(Yeah, I am not happy with my wording either, but you get my drift)
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I think the school system should consider this as well...Young Offenders Farm Schools.

There are lot of questions in life that can be answered and many life lessons learned by simply living and working on a farm.

Many of the trouble youth and adults we have known over the years have benefited considerably from spending time on the

farm and getting involved in the day to day life farming involves.
- Unknown
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Barney Google wrote:I think the school system should consider this as well...Young Offenders Farm Schools.

There are lot of questions in life that can be answered and many life lessons learned by simply living and working on a farm.

Many of the trouble youth and adults we have known over the years have benefited considerably from spending time on the

farm and getting involved in the day to day life farming involves.

I concur.
Similarly, the natives giving thanks and prayers for the animal's life they had just taken to support theirs. That life would not have been taken unless, it was absolutely necessary for survival. EVERY life is precious and should be respected. "Take what you need to survive and eat what you take". (Chinese food buffet in Kelowna.)
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

JLives wrote:It's a great concept. It's more humane .
Yes because all the murderers, rapist, child molesters, and so on were so humane in their actions. For non violent criminals I'd be willing to look at something like this, for all the rest not a chance in hell.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

dieseluphammerdown wrote:Yes because all the murderers, rapist, child molesters, and so on were so humane in their actions. For non violent criminals I'd be willing to look at something like this, for all the rest not a chance in hell.

I did address that *removed*

Outside of the worst of the worst offenders (Pickton and Bernardo types) this should be the norm for our prisons.
Last edited by ferri on Jul 10th, 2016, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: snark removed
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

JLives wrote:
I did address that *removed*

So where do you draw your imaginary line for who qualifies ? 2 rapes 2 murders your good to go farm? 3 rapes 3 murders you don't qualify ? Just where is your line on what qualifies as being more humane?
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I would draw the line at rapists and murderers period. Maybe some of the murderers could be made an exception based on individual case circumstances but none of the rapists.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I was thinking a similar thing. It would be excellent for some prisoners but you cannot let many of them near the necessary tools and equipment for projects like this. One would be amazed what they can think up. I have friends who were guards and it was unbelievable. In years gone by not sure about now I believe it was the John Howard society would give the smokers lighters and then afterwards some of the prisoners would stomp on the end somehow so as to shoot them across the way or down the halls and they would explode when they hit. The guards ended up confiscating most of them after the society left. They had to be extremely careful whom they let in the kitchen and all cutlery etc. had to be counted after every meal. Even good prisoners who were not violent were sometimes coerced with either rewards or threats to doing something for bad ones. Not saying I'm against the idea but it is not as great as it seems at first thought.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

^^^ I agree Smurf...it would not be for ALL but for some it could work AND maybe help rehabilitate those who want to.

I've often heard farm kids complaining 'that living on a farm is worse than prison'...LOL
Last edited by Barney Google on Jul 10th, 2016, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Unknown
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Norway seems to have some effective ideas on rehabilitation. http://www.businessinsider.com/why-norw ... ul-2014-12
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Any convicted offender that is scheduled for release at any time in the future, needs to be on this program.
I don't care who they killed, what branch of the gov't they stole from or who's precious baby they hooked up with a lethal dose, if they are going to be set free at all, they need some training, coaching and skills before they should be freed.

Return to “Canada”