Berman to co-chair Alberta Oil Sands Advisory Group

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Berman to co-chair Alberta Oil Sands Advisory Group

Post by Rwede »

You just can't make this stuff up.

Notley surprises me even more, every day.

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Berman to co-chair Alberta Oil Sands Advisory Group

Post by Hurtlander »

The oil sands advisory group looks to be fairly and evenly balanced http://www.alberta.ca/oilsands-advisory ... embers.cfm
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Hurtlander wrote:The oil sands advisory group looks to be fairly and evenly balanced http://www.alberta.ca/oilsands-advisory ... embers.cfm

You want an advisor to the future of your largest industry to be a radicalized anti-oil sands nutjob? Really?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Rwede wrote:You want an advisor to the future of your largest industry to be a radicalized anti-oil sands nutjob? Really?

Why not, it's called an advisory panel, not a pro or anti oil sands panel. I realize you pine for the old days when the conservatives would stack a panel with people that were all supporting the same cause. I think it's commendable that Notley didn't stack the panel entirely with enviro-nazi's, instead she picked a good cross section representing Alberta society.
ETA; yes, I do realize that Berman isn't from Alberta.
Póg Mo Thoin
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Hurtlander wrote:Why not, it's called an advisory panel, not a pro or anti oil sands panel. I realize you pine for the old days when the conservatives would stack a panel with people that were all supporting the same cause. I think it's commendable that Notley didn't stack the panel entirely with enviro-nazi's, instead she picked a good cross section representing Alberta society.
ETA; yes, I do realize that Berman isn't from Alberta.

I don't see a problem with having a balanced advisory board, but you need the right people on a board to sit discuss and have rational conversations. When you have zealots of one end of the spectrum or the other, the board becomes pointless and nothing gets accomplished, however you can say you created a group to make smart choices, yet when you knowing load that group with people you know with make outrageous claims and derail the process you are simply playing politics while killing something you want to kill.

For Alberta, it means killing the top industry while trying to pretend you didn't do it on purpose.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Veovis wrote:I don't see a problem with having a balanced advisory board, but you need the right people on a board to sit discuss and have rational conversations. When you have zealots of one end of the spectrum or the other, the board becomes pointless and nothing gets accomplished, however you can say you created a group to make smart choices, yet when you knowing load that group with people you know with make outrageous claims and derail the process you are simply playing politics while killing something you want to kill.

For Alberta, it means killing the top industry while trying to pretend you didn't do it on purpose.

Notley is pro oil, she made that point perfectly clear at the NDP convention when she had strong words for the idiotic LEAP manifesto wing of the party. She isn't going to kill the oil industry
Póg Mo Thoin
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Alberta co-chair of climate change advisory group regrets likening oilsands to 'Mordor'

Alberta's Opposition Wildrose Party is criticizing the NDP government for appointing someone to an advisory group who once compared the oilsands to "Mordor."

Mordor is a dark, scorched land of suffering in the fictional world of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

On Wednesday, the province announced the members of an 18-member advisory group to implement Alberta's climate-change plan.

The group's mandate is to provide advice on ways to ensure that initiatives created as part of the government's climate-change plan, announced last year, are effective and widely supported.

One of the co-chairs of the group, Tzeporah Berman, an adjunct professor of environmental studies at York University in Toronto, has vocally criticized the oilsands in the past.

In a press release, the Wildrose said it is a concern that an influential co-chair of the panel "is openly at war with the energy industry."

In a recent interview with Climate Home, an international news source focused on climate change, Berman stated that with the oilsands, "when you're there it feels a bit like Mordor. As far as the eye can see [are] mines and huge open pits that are being pumped out into areas the size of lakes.

"If you spend more than a couple hours walking around in the tarsands, your eyes start to run and your skin starts to hurt," she said later in the same interview.

Wildrose Leader Brian Jean said in the party's news release it was disappointing to see the appointment of an advisory group co-chair "who is vocally opposed and has made a career off of opposing our oilsands industry."

More at CBC, of all places: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.3677366
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

This is pure NDP pork-barreling, that's all it is. This person wouldn't be able to get a job at Tim Hortons, but because she's NDP, she's now getting a big government paycheque. This is why no one should ever vote NDP, ever.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The Green Barbarian wrote:This is pure NDP pork-barreling, that's all it is. This person wouldn't be able to get a job at Tim Hortons, but because she's NDP, she's now getting a big government paycheque. This is why no one should ever vote NDP, ever.

Notley's goal is to put an end to Alberta's number 1 industry, and she's enlisting these idiots to help her achieve that goal.

Trudeau is helping her along, as documents have now been revealed where he's saying "No!" to any pipelines until at least 2025. Fortunately, I think enough Canadians will be fed up with his BS long before then.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Rwede wrote:

Notley's goal is to put an end to Alberta's number 1 industry, and she's enlisting these idiots to help her achieve that goal.

Trudeau is helping her along, as documents have now been revealed where he's saying "No!" to any pipelines until at least 2025. Fortunately, I think enough Canadians will be fed up with his BS long before then.

We can only hope.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Canada”