William, Kate and the Prince & Princess Visit

Barney Google
Lord of the Board

William, Kate and the Prince & Princess Visit

Post by Barney Google »

Trudeau invites Prince William and Kate to take royal tour of Canada

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau ... -1.3665588

So what happens when well off people invite other well off people to visit?

What 'obligations' are expected and extended and at whose expense?

When we invite folks to come visit the farm for a while it goes without saying that we provide them a room and food and the usual farm 'entertainment'. They usually pay their own way to get here and often times bring food, which doesn't go over well with 'The Head Chef' here, and they always get involved, by their own choice, by pitchin' in on some of the daily farm chores (this is often a source of great amusement and eventual fond (or not so fond) memories).

So when JT invites the Royals to come visit - what's the deal?

Does it go without saying that the PM can 'invite' whomever he wants or does he have to clear it with 'somebody' first?

What's Canada's obligations for visiting dignitaries that are not directly involved in governments?

I actually really like William and Kate...maybe I should let JT know we'd be happy to host them up here on the farm for a visit...LOL :sunshine:
Last edited by Barney Google on Sep 13th, 2016, 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Veovis
Guru

Re: The PM invites William and Kate to visit...

Post by Veovis »

Pretty standard for PM's to look for visits from the Royal Family. Nothing to surprising here.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I see nothing wrong with it.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*stay on topic please!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Barney Google wrote:Trudeau invites Prince William and Kate to take royal tour of Canada

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau ... -1.3665588

What 'obligations' are expected and extended and at whose expense?

So when JT invites the Royals to come visit - what's the deal?

Does it go without saying that the PM can 'invite' whomever he wants or does he have to clear it with 'somebody' first?

What's Canada's obligations for visiting dignitaries that are not directly involved in governments?

Any ideas on this topic?

If you don't know - what do YOU think should happen in this regard?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Royals cost Canadian taxpayers money every time they land in this country, hey save us the expense stay home & use google street to do your tour.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

So what political or humanitarian reason or benefit would it be covering the costs for this visit?

What's the purpose?

Again, to be clear, of all the living Royals I do like William and Kate the best.
- Unknown
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Barney Google wrote:So what political or humanitarian reason or benefit would it be covering the costs for this visit?

What's the purpose?

Again, to be clear, of all the living Royals I do like William and Kate the best.

Royals come to visit, it just happens, inviting them is standard and polite by a new PM.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Who covers the costs for these invited guests? ...and to what extent?
- Unknown
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Barney Google wrote:So what political or humanitarian reason or benefit would it be covering the costs for this visit?

What's the purpose?

These aren't minor royals. William will be our king someday. It's good if our future head of state gains familiarity with our part of the realm and the best way for that to happen is for him to visit fairly frequently.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

^^^ so who covers the costs for these visits?
The Royals themselves?
Will they best personally hosted by The Trudeaus?
Or do Canadian Taxpayers cover their expenses if they are invited guests of Canada?
All this traveling and dignitary hosting, etc has to be pretty expensive.
- Unknown
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Barney Google wrote:^^^ so who covers the costs for these visits?
The Royals themselves?
Will they best personally hosted by The Trudeaus?
Or do Canadian Taxpayers cover their expenses if they are invited guests of Canada?
All this traveling and dignitary hosting, etc has to be pretty expensive.

I honestly don't think anyone on here is going to answer this question Barney, you know that. I doubt any posters are working for the Liberal government, let alone the PM.

Why not write an email, letter, or tweet at Justin to try and get an answer?
hail Satan y'all
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Already did send an email, WhatWhat.

Actually did think maybe someone on here might very well know from previous royal visits.

We've got a few pretty smart and in-the-know Cookies on the forum.
- Unknown
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

All Royal visits are paid for by us the taxpayers, not sure how much we pay for on Head of State visits.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

<snip> Moore said the department expects the trip to cost less than $1 million — money from the existing Heritage Canada budget. Last year, the minister said the nine-day royal tour by William and Kate, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, cost approximately $1.2 million.

The minister said the budgeted figure did not include security costs associated with the trip. On previous visits, security costs were about $1 million. <snip>

http://www.canada.com/life/Prince+Charl ... story.html

<snip> Canadians pay for The Queen only when, as our head of state, she performs duties in Canada. As was demonstrated in 2010 and during her previous tours, people flock to welcome her, and clearly derive great pleasure from her homecomings. The most recent tour cost Canadians approximately 15 cents per person. Like all countries, Canadians regularly welcome and bear similar or greater expenses for visiting heads of state and government, ranging from the Pope to the Emperor of Japan to the Presidents of the United States and Mexico, none of whom have any constitutional involvement with our land, but whom we welcome as friends, allies or trading partners. <snip>

http://www.monarchist.ca/en/myths
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Canada”