Saskatchewan Oil Spill

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Saskatchewan Oil Spill

Post by maryjane48 »

NORTH BATTLEFORD, Sask. - Attempts to stop a pipeline oil spill from flowing down a major river in Saskatchewan failed Friday and new steps were being taken to try to contain the slick.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/11142170

Husky pipeline leaked 250 000 litres of crude oil . the first set of barrirrs failed
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Saskatchewan Oil Spill

Post by bob vernon »

The city of Prince Alberta, downstream from this leak, has had the effrontery to seek compensation from Husky Oil. As soon as a few barrels of oil seep out, they all come out of the woodwork with their hands out, looking for money. Oil is hurting right now, leave them alone. Just let it wash downstream and it'll be all over and done with.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Bob Vernon ...

I have no problem with Oil Companies making a fair profit out of the products they produce. I assume that those profits, in part, provide emergency funds to clean up or remedy unforeseen mishaps of this nature.

There should be no such thing as an oil company not having ready access to the equipment and technology to clean up oil spills in a river. No excuse whatever.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

If an oil tanker spilled in front of Bob Vernon's house and ruined his property, he would ignore it and just wait for the oil to magically go away, because oil is hurting so bad right now.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

bob vernon wrote:The city of Prince Alberta, downstream from this leak, has had the effrontery to seek compensation from Husky Oil. As soon as a few barrels of oil seep out, they all come out of the woodwork with their hands out, looking for money. Oil is hurting right now, leave them alone. Just let it wash downstream and it'll be all over and done with.

It's Prince Albert... :130:
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

now prince albert has shut offintake from river. they say they have weeks supply of clean water
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 24th, 2016, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

now they are trying to save birds covered in oil
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

bob vernon wrote:The city of Prince Alberta, downstream from this leak, has had the effrontery to seek compensation from Husky Oil. As soon as a few barrels of oil seep out, they all come out of the woodwork with their hands out, looking for money. Oil is hurting right now, leave them alone. Just let it wash downstream and it'll be all over and done with.

I'm originally from Prince Albert. I don't think you understand what your water source means until you have lost it!

Sadly, the oil industry is just like your comment.

They could not give a ratz azz about anyone as long as the oil is flowing. There will be many more breaks as the pipes likely are all rusting out in that region.

My thoughts on pipelines is no. What would happen if it was not detected when it was? The oil companies use the silent method, as long as JQ public doesn't know it won't hurt them.

I wonder how many other slow leaks in Canada are known, but not shut down as only a small percentage is being lost to the leak? We might all be surprised if it was only known!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Omnitheo wrote:If an oil tanker spilled in front of Bob Vernon's house and ruined his property, he would ignore it and just wait for the oil to magically go away, because oil is hurting so bad right now.

I'd like to shut his water off, just for four days and squirt motor oil into his drinking source. Wonder how that would float, just water under the bridge?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Omnitheo wrote:If an oil tanker spilled in front of Bob Vernon's house and ruined his property, he would ignore it and just wait for the oil to magically go away, because oil is hurting so bad right now.

He was being sarcastic. My goodness how gullible are you people?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 26th, 2016, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

it is now a state of emergency

Prince Albert, Sask., declares state of emergency over oil spill
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon ... -1.3693396
Shared via the CBC News Android App

this just keeps getting worse and canada is supposed to trust oil companies to be ready ? biggest joke yet . husky should be fined into backruptcy over this .
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I read that there was a lot of turbidity in the river. As learned from the Kalamazoo spill, that means that the dilbit spilled will coalesce and sink to the bottom - making proper clean up extremely difficult. The diluent (very toxic) evaporates off fairly quickly. The bitumen that sinks to the bottom just very slowly keeps releasing toxins over a very long period.

It took Enbridge over two years to clean up the Kalamazoo - they had to dredge the river to gather up all the goo. That spill was 900,000 US gallons.

This spill is 66,000 US gallons.

There is, however, a possibility that the impact will be sufficient that Prince Albert's water supply will be not be usable this winter. What then? The quick fix overland pipe won't work in winter.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

good point. never even considered that

Return to “Canada”