Trudeau ponders risking soldiers' lives to gain UN seat

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Trudeau ponders risking soldiers' lives to gain UN seat

Post by Rwede »

James Bezan Like Page

19 hrs ·

The Minister of National Defence needs to provide more details before committing to a lengthy mission in Africa.

The Liberals have quietly shifted their promise of ‘peacekeeping’ to ‘peace operations’ without explaining to Canadians what this means.

Today the Minister reaffirmed that Canada will take part in a UN mission on the African continent. Canadians should be concerned about the lack of details and transparency around this announcement, and the current dangers surrounding peace operations Africa. Also how can the Liberals be committing to deploying troops on a long-term mission that hasn’t even been debated in Parliament?

As I have been saying since the start of the Defence Policy Review process, it is just window dressing for Liberal policy. The Minister has now committed to a UN mission in Africa without publishing any of his finding with Canadians. Was there something in his consultations that he didn’t want Canadians to see?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/canada-will-join-un-efforts-in-africa-for-a-long-duration/

Given the countries toured, maybe helping to go after the Al Shebaab branch of Al Qaeda?

Africa is becoming a significant theater of operations for groups like ISIS and Al Qaeda. Are you saying we should not try to help the countries of Africa take those guys on?
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

They aren't "going after" anyone.

They are peace keepers, oops, on a peace operation.

In other words, they'll stand around, get shot or blown up, and when the death toll of Canadians is high enough, Trudeau will use their "sacrifice" so he can tweet #promisemade #promisekept in his UN push.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Rwede wrote:They aren't "going after" anyone.

In other words, they'll stand around, get shot or blown up, and when the death toll of Canadians is high enough, Trudeau will use their "sacrifice" so he can tweet #promisemade #promisekept in his UN push.

and also offer his "thoughts and prayers" to the families, while taking selfies in a mosque.

"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

That's actually not what peacekeepers do.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

That's exactly what the plan is. The Liberals sent ill-equipped troops into Afghanistan, allowed them to be slaughtered with crappy old, rusted-out gear, and Justin is going to do it again. 159 deaths meant nothing to Chretien, and we can only hope and pray that Trudeau doesn't compete with his old friend to see if he can get a higher casualty toll. If he's lucky, Justin will get to take credit for a Somalia-like debacle, too.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

since when are you bleeding heart conservatives so against Canadians doing their jobs? Canadian men and women who have signed up to help serve and protect the values they hold dear. Men and women who are world renowned for their expertise and positive impact. And you want them to ignore the instability in the world right up until it comes knocking on your door step?

Why would you deny these brave individuals the opportunity to make a difference and help combat the threats to our freedom? You would favour inaction and the erosion of our rights and freedoms instead of fighting to protect our rights and freedoms, and the freedom of humans around the globe?

You criticize Cretien? Where is your criticism of Mackenzie King? Lester Pearson?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol how short the rightwing memory is . first harper was trying to mix it up with russia, which would have gotten us microwaved . great plan there. where as hobby says the plan is going after the bad actors in africa as other places the americans are already there .
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

First it's "get our jets and soldiers out of there, not our war, not our problem, let someone else deal with it."

Now it's "lets make a difference, combat threats to our freedom, let them do what they are trained to do."

Isn't there a name for that ?? Hypocrisy come to mind.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

There's a difference between helping keep the peace and stability in a region verses indiscriminate bombing and missile strikes that drive further instability.

Hypocrisy only comes to mind when your mind is too small to distinguish differences.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

I didn't realize that you thought so little of our armed forces that they couldn't possibly strategize their bombing and missile strikes and they are only good for peace keeping.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

next to the allied air strikes, Canada's contribution equated to virtually nothing except a waste of resources and tax dollars. Our allies recognize that we are able to contribute much better in other ways and applaud our peacekeeping and training operations.
I'll side with the military experts and our allies impressions over the naive armchair opinionists on the forums and the CBC comment section.
Deean
Fledgling

Post by Deean »

The four permanent seats are held by USA, China, Russia and Britain, right? Russia is helping the Syrian government to stay in power and the west is fighting with the rebels to overthrow it. All of them are fighting ISIS. Who's side is Saudi Arabia on and why is Canada selling them arms? Is this one of the many concessions to help gain a seat on the UN Security Council.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Omnitheo wrote:next to the allied air strikes, Canada's contribution equated to virtually nothing except a waste of resources and tax dollars. Our allies recognize that we are able to contribute much better in other ways and applaud our peacekeeping and training operations.
I'll side with the military experts and our allies impressions over the naive armchair opinionists on the forums and the CBC comment section.

Every country involved shared their disappointment when JT announced the pulling out of the F-18's. The US has stated several times that the training of Kurds and others was a failure.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Omnitheo wrote:I'll side with the military experts and our allies impressions over the naive armchair opinionists on the forums and the CBC comment section.

The same military ex-spurt who declared less than two months ago that the F35 wasn't combat ready, and does not work and is far from working?

Yeah, he's the man. He's also willing to kill Canadians to get a photo op at the UN table.

Return to “Canada”