Liberals dilly-dally while historical mill flounders

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liberals dilly-dally while historical mill flounders

Post by Rwede »

http://london.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=927401

If the Liberals weren't so busy vacationing and ignoring regular Canadians, this 200 year old important part of Canadiana would be operating normally.

Where's the minister?

Where's the PM?

Why does the opposition have to handle his?

Why does the owner have to go through the stress of working 24/7 to keep his business open?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Liberals dilly-dally while historical mill flounders

Post by Omnitheo »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 10th, 2016, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/05/19/arva-flour-mill-shut-down-after-federal-safety-inspectors-said-it-didnt-meet-modern-day-standards

So I decided to look into why the mill was shut down. Essentially, because the pinch points of pulleys are not guarded, and perhaps a few other minor safety issues.

The owner's excuse is "well we haven't had any accidents" and he won't fix the problems because he doesn't think he should have to comply with reasonable safety standards. Then Rona steps in with a crass and self serving attempt to gain political advantage.

The problem is NOT with the safety inspectors. Nor with the regulations.

It is with the owner's "I don' wanna'".

While many may not have experience with such old equipment, I have experience with similarly old leather belt driven equipment in a different scenario. My family owned a factory making custom millwork, wood doors and windows. Some of the old formerly steam driven equipment was equipped with the wide leather belt systems as originally the factory had the old system of a central drive shaft from the steam engine with belt power take offs from the ceiling mounted shafts. Some of the old equipment had capabilities that could not be matched with modern equipment and allowed some very profitable custom work niches. When the WCB (as WorkSafe was called then) took issue with the belt drive systems, we had guards fabricated and installed them.

It was NOT an onerous undertaking and it was NOT all that expensive and it did NOT impede the function of the equipment or reduce productivity. We continued to run that old equipment for many, many years - essentially until vinyl windows/sliding doors and Steel exterior doors etc. reduced the wood window and door business below critical mass.

Shame on this guy for putting his own "I don' wanna" ahead of employee safety.

Shame on Rona for wading into this for shallow and crass political purposes. She ought to know better.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Looks to me like the mill is being suffocated with do-gooder bureaucrats trying to force their "unionized" nanny state on a 200 year old operation. The owner has good reason not to be run out of business by leftist kooks who want to make his business so onerous that it fails. Very typical of the industrialized union thuggery that has long outlived its usefulness.

Shame on Trudeau for allowing bureaucrats to ruin another tradition in Canada. But then, I guess if you used illegal union donations in your election campaign, you really have no shame when it comes to slamming down hard working Canadians. As long as hipsters and potheads and union thugs will vote for you, who cares about regular folks?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Horsefeathers.

You just don't like the fact that Rona got caught being patently silly about something that is really clear.

It is about worker safety. Guards on equipment are good enough for operators of every other sort of old equipment. The reality is that those regulations were put in precisely because of employers who did not give a rats about employee safety. Fine, the guy can operate the mill by himself and if he gets mangled because of no guards - his problem.

Rule number one of good plant management is to keep your workers safe. It is a win-win. You don't lose trained workers to accidents - and your profitability goes up. This is NOT just theory, it is proven management strategy.

So Rona and her ignorance and shallow thinking just result in egg all over the face of the Conservatives. Best to have some sort of clue as to what you are talking about Rona, and if you don't - then best to say nothing.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Nice to see our Leader of the Opposition pitching in to help small businesses stay afloat.

Too bad our prime minister is more concerned about photo-bombing someone's wedding photos.
Attachments
13962866_10153899924113525_5012452970393789507_o.jpg
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

So we should allow exposing workers to potentially dangerous antiquated technology simply because it's antiquated? The owner wants to have his mill treated like a museum while still remaining a money-making production facility. There may well be significant heritage value to the place but there are also laws to ensure worker safety that must be adhered to. Tough call, those making the decision will be criticized` no matter which way they go.
Last edited by fluffy on Aug 11th, 2016, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

hobbyguy wrote:Horsefeathers.

Horsefeathers right back to you, in spades. Once again, you are just being a shill for the horrible Liberals, and shame on you for that. From the very article you linked to:

“It’s not setting a precedent because there are none of these left. They’ve destroyed them all.”

The mill has an ally in the London Chamber of Commerce, where chief executive Gerry Macartney was dumbfounded by the federal move.

“It’s a landmark. It’s one of those significant companies that we’ve had in this region for 150-plus years.”

The federal government regulates the flour industry, a throwback to Canada’s early farming roots.

Macartney said the issue illustrates “that heritage tug-of-war” that may sometimes happen between modern safety standards and historic structures.

“I get that, but truly we can find some common ground.”

He also expressed annoyance the owners neither received warning of an inspection nor any grace period for addressing any issues. And, he said, it’s only reasonable that companies within heritage structures should be given a grace period — even four to five years — to adapt their processes and buildings.

“I think the government owes it to companies like that to give them fair warning,” Macartney said.

“It’s puzzling: why now, why so suddenly and why so randomly,” Macartney said.

Matthews said this specific machinery has been in place for 113 years without incident. “There are lots of old stories about this mill, but no stories of injuries.”

The Feds didn't give this guy fair warning, they just acted like brainless bureaucrats. Good on Rona for getting in there and standing up for what's right, even with so many trained seals and clapping clowns defending this insanely stupid action with lame and completely invented excuses. Justin - get off your surfboard and start standing up for Canadians.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The Green Barbarian wrote:The Feds didn't give this guy fair warning...

I wonder why it never occurred to the owner to correct the situation before hand? I can't imagine that this inspection would have been the first time someone noticed open belts and pulleys. Somehow I suspect there might be a little more history to this than the news story reveals.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

fluffy wrote:
I wonder why it never occurred to the owner to correct the situation before hand? I can't imagine that this inspection would have been the first time someone noticed open belts and pulleys. Somehow I suspect there might be a little more history to this than the news story reveals.

Why are you fabricating complete BS?

Why are you vilifying this man?

You know NOTHING about him, the operation, nor any prior inspections.

If Trudeau had been there saying "This is an historical operation that should be given an exemption," you'd be screaming from the mountaintops what a great guy Trudeau is.

It's just so sad how the trained seals clap for Trudeau and bark at everyone else, irrespective of the situation.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

fluffy wrote:So we should allow exposing workers to potentially dangerous antiquated technology simply because it's antiquated? .

If it's dangerous and antiquated then tell the guy that. This behavior by the Liberals is inexcusable and shameful, almost as inexcusable as the same Liberal fanbois rushing to make excuses for this terrible behavior.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Rwede wrote:You know NOTHING about him, the operation, nor any prior inspections.

Yet you defend this person without knowing all the facts and what transpired before he went to the media to plead his case.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

oneh2obabe wrote:Yet you defend this person without knowing all the facts and what transpired before he went to the media to plead his case.

It wasn't just Rwede. It was the leader of the Opposition that was defending him. Are you accusing the leader of the Opposition of not knowing all of the facts? At least she was there, not standing shirtless in the background of a wedding on a beach on the opposite side of Canada.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

oneh2obabe wrote:Yet you defend this person without knowing all the facts and what transpired before he went to the media to plead his case.

I've actually bothered to read up on the specifics of this case.

You just jump to Trudeau's defense because he's so cute.

Who's better informed to make a judgment on this case, you or I?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Did she delve into the background before making her appearance or did she believe what the owner/operator told her?

Another mill (older than Avra) had no problem getting historical designation and applying safety features to the mill.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Canada”