Liberals dilly-dally while historical mill flounders

frazdog
Fledgling

Re: Liberals dilly-dally while historical mill flounders

Post by frazdog »

I worked in a fish cannery on the Skeena River as a teenager and young adult to pay for my post secondary schooling. One of my co-workers lost both his legs becasose the grates to the ice auger were not secured. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 11th, 2016, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Rwede - you are in a hole - time to stop digging.

Rona messed up big time by supporting this dough head flour mill owner. No amount of specious argument is going to change that.

But dig away if you want [icon_lol2.gif]
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Just because no one has been injured, does not take away the need for safety first. Just take 1 second of human error to change that safety record.

Rwede wrote:Yeah. They must have been lucky that there wasn't 1 second of human error in 113 years.

I'm sure this mill kept detailed records & noted everything related.
I grew up on working dairy farm before the days WCB came in, *bleep* happens. We took care of injury person nothing written down.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Rwede wrote:

Yeah. They must have been lucky that there wasn't 1 second of human error in 113 years.

I've never been in a traffic accident. Does this mean I can forgo safety regulations and drive without my seatbelt? Insurance?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

fluffy wrote: It tends to attract politicians who are more interested in camera time than the actual issue.

Rwede wrote:You are finally asking "Where the hell is Trudeau?" too!
Took you a while, but you eventually figured it out.

I can speak for myself thanks. Your assistance is neither required nor desired.

Let's ponder for a moment what would happen if someone did get injured as the result of a government official not performing his duty.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I get a laugh out of all the people on here bashing unions and safety when it was exactly people like Rona and this employer who caused unions to be created in the first place. It is the because of people like this that unions are still needed today. Maybe these owners etc. should wake up and realize they are the problem, not the unions.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

hobbyguy wrote:Rwede - you are in a hole - time to stop digging.

Rona messed up big time by supporting this dough head flour mill owner. No amount of specious argument is going to change that.

But dig away if you want [icon_lol2.gif]

HG - you are in an even bigger hole - but I know you will just keep digging.

Trudeau messed up big time by being a dough head and not supporting this flour mill owner. No amount of specious argument and/or pro-commie union garbage argument is going to change that.

But dig away if you want. :up:
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The Green Barbarian wrote:HG - you are in an even bigger hole - but I know you will just keep digging.

Trudeau messed up big time by being a dough head and not supporting this flour mill owner. No amount of specious argument and/or pro-commie union garbage argument is going to change that.

But dig away if you want. :up:

Trudeau doesn't care about a small business owner. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 12th, 2016, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: so far off topic i can't even see it from here!
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Only in the "Rebel" alternative reality.

You guys are seriously trying to support a guy that deliberately wants to disregard the safety of his employees??? Really??

That position is indefensible. It is morally and ethically out to lunch. And it doesn't even make business sense.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

What's indefensible is refuting 113 years of empirical evidence to the contrary of your unionized dogma.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Reality number one: only in "the Rebel" universe are there 113 years of safety records for that mill. And a guy like Mr. "I don' wanna" (the current owner) most likely has zero safety records.

The real reality is goes like this:

1. Government agencies monitor thousands of facilities over time. They have done a very good job of that for the last 50 years.
2. Those agencies then a picture of the risks to employees that is probably equivalent to 50 x 1,000 = 50,000 years of data.
3. So you want to stack that 50,000 years of properly recorded empirical data against Mr. "I don' wanna" and his assertion that has no records to back it up???
4. It is, as I detailed, not only good business practice but the most profitable one to pursue employee safety. (That is not theory, that is proven business strategy). This clown doesn't want to do that? Makes him a rather poor excuse for a business person.

Rona got caught playing crass political games with an issue that she clearly has no clue about, and that reflects badly on the Conservative party.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

removed. TONE IT DOWN NOW.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Aug 12th, 2016, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Let's tone down the hyperbole a bit.

Rona is an attractive woman, and has a good sense of humour, but she's also an opportunist and is playing political games at the potential expense of Canadian employees safety. This is not a matter of hating business. Safety regulations are in place to protect businesses. If people die or are severely injured in a business then that will do more harm to them than safety regulations will.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Omnitheo wrote:Let's tone down the hyperbole a bit.

I agree. Calling Rona "crass" for trying to defend this guy against Trudeau's army of business-hating bureaucrats is just plain disgusting, silly, wrong, and horrible. Please stop doing this, now.

This is not a matter of hating business. Safety regulations are in place to protect businesses. If people die or are severely injured in a business then that will do more harm to them than safety regulations will.

So give the guy fair warning, instead of sending in your clown posse of government losers. Just shutting him down is not the answer. But of course, you guys want to shut down everyone and have the government take over ownership, so I realize I am speaking to deaf ears.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

You are exactly right hobbyguy. Worker safety is one of the most profitable things a business can have. After being involved in health and safety at huge work sites for decades I can guarantee that preventing accidents is one of the best things a company can do. Any company that ignores it is asking for a lot of head aches. Even in the small business's we have owned and managed we have been very careful to see that things are safe, done properly and that everyone understands what is necessary. There is no reason this owner should not work to find ways to comply. One bad accident could close his doors forever. None of us have any clue what the real situation is and therefore can only speculate but you can never go wrong being safe. That old line that I heard hundreds of times " I've done it this way all my life" does not hold water. Anyone who has ever worked on large work sites knows how important safety is. It is just as important in small business as they seldom have much on site help if a major incident happens. Trying to pass the buck to left, right, union, government, whomever just doesn't cut it. It is a cop out and a very dangerous game to play. Almost all of the accidents I saw were caused by someone or the company not following proper safety standards.

I believe it was Rwede ( I could be wrong) that said he had researched this case and knew all about it. Maybe he can give us some links so that the rest of us can update ourselves.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “Canada”