Liberals rigging electoral reform

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Liberals rigging electoral reform

Post by Glacier »

The Liberals are backing away from electoral reform because they've now realized that it's a great way to get elected with 39% of the vote. It's not so great when Conservatives won with 39% of the vote, but when Liberals do, it's a system worth keeping.

Last edited by Glacier on Oct 21st, 2016, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Liberals rigging electoral reform

Post by hobbyguy »

I think the Libs understand that in the long run, a pure proportional system would work for them.

In thinking more about this issue, there are more unintended consequences to changing from FPTP than I originally thought. The more I look around the world, the more that I see situations where the government has to play to the base of otherwise "rump" parties, or face a non-confidence vote. Those rump parties never seem to die off because their radical base has enough of a percentage to that between 2 or 3 of them they can cobble together a "balance of power".

Very tricky thing to play with.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “Canada”