Shot looking for help in Sask

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Shot looking for help in Sask

Post by maryjane48 »

BIGGAR, Sask. — Racial tensions are flaring in Saskatchewan after the fatal shooting of a First Nations man who relatives say was just looking for help with a flat tire.

Colten Boushie, 22, was killed Tuesday after the vehicle he was in drove onto a farm in the rural municipality of Glenside, west of Saskatoon.

Boushie’s cousin, Eric Meechance, said he and three other friends were also in the car, heading home to the Red Pheasant First Nation after an afternoon spent swimming at a river.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/nationa ... story.html
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Shot looking for help in Sask

Post by Barney Google »

Sadly, MJ racial tension is flaring up every where. It's turning into a 'shoot first, ask questions later' World...
even in places like rural Saskatchewan where you would like to think racism wouldn't exist.
Last edited by Barney Google on Aug 14th, 2016, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

maryjane48 wrote:BIGGAR, Sask. — Racial tensions are flaring in Saskatchewan after the fatal shooting of a First Nations man who relatives say was just looking for help with a flat tire.

Colten Boushie, 22, was killed Tuesday after the vehicle he was in drove onto a farm in the rural municipality of Glenside, west of Saskatoon.

Boushie’s cousin, Eric Meechance, said he and three other friends were also in the car, heading home to the Red Pheasant First Nation after an afternoon spent swimming at a river.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/nationa ... story.html

Didn't deserve to die but will be interesting to hear the farmers side of the story. And....you don't drive onto someone's rural property let alone with 5 guys in the car....I think anyone "defenses" would have been up in this situation.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

But Meechance said they had a tire blow out and that’s how they ended up at the farm.

“That guy just come out of nowhere and he just smashed our window,” said Meechance.

I'd suggest there is a little more to this story! I grew up in Saskatchewan and I've drove onto farm property in the dark, in need of fuel late at night.

This driving onto a farmers property with "a blown tire" I'm having a little trouble with. I know persons who live in that area, they are having trouble with break ins, thefts and you name it. Will wait to hear more facts, this is smelling!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Maybe true but do you come out shooting? (if that's what happened)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

^^^ I tend to agree with your comment, Vegas.
Anyone driving onto my farm that I don't know with five guys in the car, depending on the time of day and my mood, might not get the Hallmark country greeting they might be expecting.
At times, its getting to be a sad World we live in.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

I'm also having trouble with the driving on a blown tire part, and that fives guy's are incapable of changing a tire without the help of a farmer and that between the five in this day and age didn't have a cell phone between them to phone for another friend or family member to come and help them out.
I'll reserve judgement on this for the time being.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I found this on Facebook. The fellow who was shot. Not saying he is no good, but it makes one wonder.
Attachments
Colton.jpg
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Bsuds wrote:Maybe true but do you come out shooting? (if that's what happened)

You said it, "IF THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED." Question why was the window broken out?

We don't know half of it at this time. Will have to wait to hear what occurred.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Ken7 wrote:I found this on Facebook. The fellow who was shot. Not saying he is no good, but it makes one wonder.

Thanks for this... Maybe I was wrong and he's an actually an upstanding citizen! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

vegas1500 wrote:you don't drive onto someone's rural property let alone with 5 guys in the car....I think anyone "defenses" would have been up in this situation.

I disagree; having lived in Northern communities for most of my adult life, we used to always be prepared to help one another in situations such as the one the victim's friends describe.

There is absolutely no excuse for people "shooting first, and asking questions later". If the farmer did indeed feel threatened, as he claims, why couldn't he have simply pointed the gun at them and asked why they were there? Or told them to leave if that was what he wanted? A man holding a rifle should be able to keep the situation under control, without having to actually use it.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Barney Google wrote:^^^ I tend to agree with your comment, Vegas.
Anyone driving onto my farm that I don't know with five guys in the car, depending on the time of day and my mood, might not get the Hallmark country greeting they might be expecting.
At times, its getting to be a sad World we live in.

But you still shouldn't "shoot and then ask questions later". If you feel threatened enough to come out holding a firearm "just in case" then I'm OK with that. But you still have to use it responsibly. Nobody has the right to shoot people indiscriminately, merely because they "feel" threatened.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

dieseluphammerdown wrote:I'm also having trouble with the driving on a blown tire part, and that fives guy's are incapable of changing a tire without the help of a farmer and that between the five in this day and age didn't have a cell phone between them to phone for another friend or family member to come and help them out.
I'll reserve judgement on this for the time being.

I'm not the least bit surprised that a bunch of twenty somethings don't know how to change a tire. My own son didn't have a clue at that age. Disgraceful, but true.

As for the cell phone idea, well its not uncommon to be out of range when you're in a rural area. So that could easily be the explanation.

However, even if they were "up to no good" as the farmer claims, that still doesn't give him the right to shoot them. He could have used his weapon to intimidate them into leaving, and then called the police from his house phone.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Merry wrote:But you still shouldn't "shoot and then ask questions later". If you feel threatened enough to come out holding a firearm "just in case" then I'm OK with that. But you still have to use it responsibly. Nobody has the right to shoot people indiscriminately, merely because they "feel" threatened.

I did not say I would confront any 'trespassers' with a gun, Merry. I said, "Anyone driving onto my farm that I don't know with five guys in the car, depending on the time of day and my mood, might not get the Hallmark country greeting they might be expecting."

I have live in rural areas for the better part of my life...and yes we are always prepared to help people but we have also had quite of bit of property damaged and stolen after doing so over the years too.

Two fellas stopped in here once claiming to be 'out of fuel'...they were just 'casing the joint' because they returned a few nights later and vandalized and robbed our place. Years before that another fella stopped in here claiming to want to look at livestock - he was one slick operator, knew exactly what to say, and got the royal farm tour. He also returned later when we were out and stole a number of items out of our barn. Turned out this later particular fella was on the run having escaped custody. This was his usual M.O....he 'worked' our area for a few weeks eluding RCMP. His body was later found floating in a lake in the Christian Valley area after he capsized a boat he had stolen earlier in the day.

We've helped LOTS of folks out over the years and continue to do so...we're just a LOT more cautious about it now.
- Unknown
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

I'm not the least bit surprised that a bunch of twenty somethings don't know how to change a tire. My own son didn't have a clue at that age. Disgraceful, but true.

If my kids at age 16 could not change a tire I would have been *bleep* but at 20 ?? theres something wrong with them
I personally no matter don't think this farmer should have shot anyone even though it was a bunch of hooligan's in a STOLEN vehicle

Return to “Canada”