Trudeau's leadership MIA during terror scare

Barney Google
Lord of the Board

JT's turn to lead in a time of terror...

Post by Barney Google »

Justin Trudeau's turn to lead in a time of terror

The Trudeau government says it will do things differently; maybe it should speak differently too

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wherry-trudeau-terrorism-1.3718743
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

ANDREW LAWTON

FIRST POSTED: SUNDAY, AUGUST 14, 2016 06:14 PM EDT | UPDATED: MONDAY, AUGUST 15, 2016 08:43 AM EDT

Fear outweighed confidence as Canadians had to rely on assumptions and media reports to piece together what was happening.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau didn’t even emerge from his extended vacation to assure Canadians he was monitoring the situation, let alone that the necessary resources were being devoted to maintaining public safety and order.

His itinerary has listed each day for the last three weeks as “personal,” which hasn’t changed in the days since.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale issued a statement Wednesday night, saying that he had spoken to the Trudeau about the situation. Goodale also addressed media the following day, after the RCMP’s press conference on the Strathroy situation.

But it took Trudeau himself more than 25 hours from the time of the explosion to tweet his gratitude to the RCMP “for their work in Strathroy yesterday,” without issuing any statement regarding cooperation with the FBI, the threat of terrorism and homegrown radicalization, or anything other than Canada’s Olympic successes, for that matter.

Apparently his vacation came first.

I was off the clock as well when I learned what was happening in Strathroy. That didn’t stop me from showing up. Trudeau took no such action.

A statement from Trudeau may not have alleviated the concerns of Strathroy’s residents — one of whom distraughtly waited for hours outside the security perimeter as her two teenage children were barricaded in the house next door to the standoff — but was imperative for the rest of the country to know that Canada would stand strong and together.

We now know that Driver’s dreams of dead Canadians have been dashed, and what could have been heralded as an ISIS coup is instead an embarrassing failure.

Before these things became clear, we needed a leader. In the face of terror, Trudeau wasn’t it.

Full story: http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/14/tr ... rror-scare
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Trudeau's leadership MIA during terror scare

Post by bob vernon »

My family and I have all been cringing and hiding in the basement for the last few weeks because of this. In case any terrorists or leftists of any persuasion decide to take us on, they'll have a fight on their hands. We've also been keeping an eye on the Muslim family down the street just in case. Could someone let us know when it's safe to come out, we're running short on groceries.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

bob vernon wrote:My family and I have all been cringing and hiding in the basement for the last few weeks because of this. In case any terrorists or leftists of any persuasion decide to take us on, they'll have a fight on their hands. We've also been keeping an eye on the Muslim family down the street just in case. Could someone let us know when it's safe to come out, we're running short on groceries.

no Bob. Just stay down there. Trudeau will be coming to save you, any minute. He's just finishing a surfing lesson.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
K_teela
Fledgling

Post by K_teela »

This opinionated columnist sure does do a good job of contradicting himself here.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale issued a statement Wednesday night, saying that he had spoken to the Trudeau about the situation. Goodale also addressed media the following day, after the RCMP’s press conference on the Strathroy situation.

So he did talk to the Public Safety Minister about the situation.

But it took Trudeau himself more than 25 hours from the time of the explosion to tweet his gratitude to the RCMP “for their work in Strathroy yesterday,” without issuing any statement regarding cooperation with the FBI, the threat of terrorism and homegrown radicalization, or anything other than Canada’s Olympic successes, for that matter.

Apparently his vacation came first.

But I thought he already talked to the Public Safety Minister? Is this whole article just a rant about how he didn't tweet sooner, really? Is our PM expected to send out a tweet over every single event that happens in this vast Country as well as police all of our streets?

I guess we should just get rid of the cops, and expect Trudeau to police the entire Country himself.

This just in: From some columnist at the TorontoSun.

Man steals candy from baby.

An interview with the mother released a statement against Trudeau. "All I could think of while this was happening is why isn't anyone helping? Why isn't Trudeau here to stop him and tweet about this? That man just stole my babies candy!"
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

We're not Americans. We don't crap our pants about terrorism here. The situation has been handled.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 15th, 2016, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*let's not wander too far off topic please. thanks!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: JT's turn to lead in a time of terror...

Post by hobbyguy »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wherry-trudeau-terrorism-1.3718743

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_Canada

Terrorism is not a big deal in Canada. If you look at the actual incidents, they have been few and far between - and the bulk have been People that went off.

The ginning up of fears about terrorism is simply not justified from a statistical perspective (not that that means anything to the victims of say, the Boston Marathon Bombing). Looking at the list of incidents, the 1960's would fit that description more accurately.

Calling this "a time of terror" is partially accurate, it is a "time of terror" in the middle east and Africa. But step back and look at what is happening in Canada, and it is not a "time of terror" from a historical perspective.

What it is though, is a "time of fear of terrorism", which has been fanned by 24/7 news coverage and massive over coverage of some events. To paraphrase Roosevelt: "There is nothing to fear except fear itself"- even the Fonz knew that...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

^^^ quite true.

The media though does like to 'spin' things...

I do though think that Canada does need to be prepared.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

It's unfortunate that Canada has been put in a situation where the possibility is there for terrorist attacks, no matter how remote, when it didn't have to be.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

hobbyguy wrote:
Terrorism is not a big deal in Canada. If you look at the actual incidents, they have been few and far between - and the bulk have been People that went off.

The USA could have just as easily said this right up until Sept 10th, 2001. Terrorism is never a big deal until it is. You can choose to bury your head in the sand, or claim that "we're not Americans so we don't have to care" but this is just being horribly naïve. Do you honestly think ISIS/Al Quaeda/Boko Haram/Al Shabaab care what passport you are carrying?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 15th, 2016, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

There are real issues with statistics to back them up which are of far more concern.

We're not going to change our national values because some pedestrians might get run down by Granny Esther and Farmer Jo. We're not going to hide away in our bedrooms lest we be struck down in the Walmart Parking lot. We shouldn't be changing our national values because there's a chance that 1 person in a country of 35 million might be mentally challenged enough to want to voluntarily inflict harm on random people. And i'm not going to hide away in my room from that either.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I think we also need legislation to help prevent shark attacks. Every time a Canadian steps in the water they run the chance of being terrorized by these indoctrinated murder machines. Where is Trudeau on this issue? Stop Sharks Now!

Return to “Canada”