Tommy gets a new gun.

Graham Adder
Guru

Tommy gets a new gun.

Post by Graham Adder »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/174993/Using-same-guns-since-WWI

$4852.94

That's 33,000,000 divided by 6800

I fully understand that our Northern Rangers need an upgrade.
I fully understand that we want to outfit them with a quality firearm that will give them what they need.

4853 dollars seems a bit much though, no?
I'm betting I could find a better deal on a firearm that will be of the quality and performance standards required.

Is it just me, or does every expenditure by our government seem to be much higher than need be?

I have an acquaintance that worked for the D.N.D. (Department of National Defence) as a sub-contractor.
They had a budget for tool purchases each year. If they did not spend the money this year, they would not get the same amount in the budget for next year. There were times that they would bury brand new tools, chests and equipment in a large pit to dispose of the evidence. Unused tools and equipment were frowned upon and the budget would be reduced. To avoid this, they simply fudged some paperwork and buried the product.
I question how far reaching this practice is in our government.

Is the cost of these rifles justified? Are they using up budget funds to ensure more play money for next year?

We, the public will likely never know the answers. But we will know what we owe in taxes next year and the year after and so on.
THAT, they watch close.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Tommy gets a new gun.

Post by hobbyguy »

http://www.casr.ca/bg-ncrr-new-canadian-ranger-rifle.htm

"On 23 June 2015, Associate Defence Minister Julian Fantino announced a contract award for the New Canadian Ranger Rifle, posing with members of 1st Canadian Ranger Patrol Group. In Nunavut, 1 CRPG is already testing the 10 prototype NCRRs (which will later be tested by 4 CRPG in British Columbia). Those trial rifles were part of a 'separate quote' from the bulk of the NCRR contract for a total order for 10,200 New Canadian Ranger Rifle deliverable in 2016."

If you look through the article you will see that Canada just had to have these rifles customized. Good heavens! No wonder the dang things are so expensive. Heaven forbid we should buy something "off the shelf" that is suitable. Nice rifles though. Seems the order was chopped from 10,200 to 6,800, so that saved some.

This article http://www.rifleshootermag.com/rifles/best-tactical-bolt-action-rifles-at-every-price-point/ lists the Tikka at $950 USD, so about $1,300 CDN... my oh my our military purchases are loaded with waste. Mind you, they could have bought the Barret's for $8,700 USD and then customized them... then they would be $20,000 CDN each.

Hopefully these new rifles will last as long as the old Enfields.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

By the way, I do understand your comments about DND buying practices. Many years ago I sold product to DND, and it was a gong show. Would quote them price "X" for the "off the shelf" product and then quote them price "20X" for exactly what they wanted, and 3 months delivery. They would buy "20X" every time. There was absolutely no, zero, functional difference between the products - they were made exactly the same way of the same materials in the same factory.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

And yet, we have homeless, hungry, distraught and mentally ill people with no hope.
Sick.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I sent our local MP an email about this. The Tikka T3 is listed for sale on the internet at a far lower price retail. Even allowing for some customization and spares, I can only get $17 million - not $33 million.

Best I can do is hope for answer. It is otherwise inexplicable why the cost is so high. DND and other departments need to stop wasting this kind of money in their procurement decisions.

For reference: http://www.alflahertys.com/collections/tikka lists the Tikka T3 CTR for $1326 USD (with free shipping lol). I allowed a 35% premium for some custom features and spares. Comes to about $2,500 x 6,800 = $17 million.

It is a question worth asking, so send your MP an email, and bug them. The more that do the more likely some change will happen.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

hobbyguy wrote:I sent our local MP an email about this. <snip>
send your MP an email, and bug them. The more that do the more likely some change will happen.

You're right.
If nobody speaks up, nothing will ever change.
I'll write a letter.
Who's our local MP?
j/k.
[icon_lol2.gif]
There are a few I think need to get the letter.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Stephen Fuhr for Kelowna-Lake Country. [email protected]

For those who wish to pop an email.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I got an answer from our local MP on the costs of this new rifle:

"Thank you for your question regarding the updated rifles for the Northern Rangers.

There are a few reasons why the new Ranger Rifles are as expensive as they are.:

The new Ranger Rifles required a unique design to meet the specific needs of Canada's Rangers;
1) The winning design, based on the Sako Tikka compact tactical rifle by Stoeger, had to be engineered to perform reliably in temperatures well below freezing and in addition to being resistant to salt-water.
2) The contract also included technical design data, licences, user support and quality control, spare parts, and accessories - including transit cases, cleaning kits, and locking service.
3) The unique colour and design of the new rifle also has the intended benefit of being distinguishable from a distance - notably important for identification of the Ranger Rifles by the RCMP.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write about this important issue.

Sincerely,

The Office of Stephen Fuhr, CD, MP"

Seems more reasonable with those explanations. Hopefully they last as long as the old Enfields.

Return to “Canada”