We need the tools of freedom

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: We need the tools of freedom

Post by Gone_Fishin »

fluffy wrote:Shouldn't be a big issue for them to buy the brown gun then, right? I mean if there's no difference...

What kind of country do we live in where politicians decide what colour items we can buy? Sounds like we now have a government that discriminates based on colour. *removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Sep 9th, 2016, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't paint a group with the same brush.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Those that advocate for NRA garbage politics in Canada are advocating for more Canadians to be killed. That is just plain unacceptable.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Gone_Fishin wrote:What kind of country do we live in where politicians decide what colour items we can buy? Sounds like we now have a government that discriminates based on colour.

We live in a country where politicians decide what's dangerous and what's not when the people involved either can't see the difference for themselves, or just plain don't care. Personally I like it that way.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Rwede
Left-leaners tend to fear that which they don't understand, and want it banned because of that lack of understanding.

Tough to have a serious debate when one side dismisses the other's opinion so completely. Labeling others as a lefty is a well oiled denial mechanism for those who have choosen to ignore the facts regarding this issue.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Poindexter wrote:Tough to have a serious debate when one side dismisses the other's opinion so completely. Labeling others as a lefty is a well oiled denial mechanism for those who have choosen to ignore the facts regarding this issue.

That's a pretty good barometer as to just how much credibility you give the posts in question. People who descend to levels of personal insult and ridicule generally do so they realize that their arguments are inherently weak to begin with, but they feel that they can level the playing field with lowbrow behavior. Wrong. This whole discussion is basically over the right and wrong of allowing people to indulge practices that should have no place in an enlightened, progressive society, and so far the side arguing for increased gun freedom in Canada hasn't offered any reasonable argument at all.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

fluffy wrote:We live in a country where politicians decide what's dangerous and what's not when the people involved either can't see the difference for themselves, or just plain don't care. Personally I like it that way.

Just wanted to point out that according to the CBC piece, our elected politicians are allowing someone else to do that instead.

This is the thing I see: people are refusing to look at whether or not there is a legitimate concern.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

There is a legitimate concern. If you look at the Australian actions, it dropped gun-related deaths.

If you look at the statistics for gun-related deaths, the USA with its NRA garbage politics is more than 5 times worse than Canada, and Canada is roughly 8 times worse than Australia.

So which direction is better if Canada were to change gun laws/regulations? Away from USA style NRA garbage politics. NOT toward them.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

rustled wrote:This is the thing I see: people are refusing to look at whether or not there is a legitimate concern.

Interesting comment. My gut instinct is that letting people "play soldier" is about as outdated as "cowboys and indians". I see no positive benefits in putting mock assault weapons in civilian hands. But I'll be the first to admit I'm biased toward a more pacifist viewpoint, and openly concede that I'm strongly influenced by what overly liberal gun freedom laws have done for the US in terms of civilian violence.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

I wouldn't say gut instincts are bad. Use 'em myself quite often!

I'm biased in the same direction as you on this one, but there are niggly bits of this that bother me.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

hobbyguy wrote:There is a legitimate concern. If you look at the Australian actions, it dropped gun-related deaths.

If you look at the statistics for gun-related deaths, the USA with its NRA garbage politics is more than 5 times worse than Canada, and Canada is roughly 8 times worse than Australia.

So which direction is better if Canada were to change gun laws/regulations? Away from USA style NRA garbage politics. NOT toward them.

I totally agree that yes, the US has an incredible problem, and yes, the Australians chose a much better path. But does that mean we don't even look at our laws?

Caring about whether or not the laws make sense does not equate to preferring the US system over the Australian. It equates to caring whether or not our laws actually make sense. Is it really a better idea to just turn a blind eye to what the laws actually say?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Given the Canadian context, which is different than Australia or the UK or... we have a reasonable balance, but if you were to tip the scale toward improving our gun laws, it would be toward the ban of all semi=automatics.

Guns with a practical purpose should be left alone. The rest are really aimed at person to person violence. We allow some that have no practical purpose, with significant restrictions. Leave well enough alone.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

did guns really bring freedom? look at our society today. in an american context the revolution was facilitated by the guns in the hands of the men. but the freedom was written down by other fewer men with a pen in constitutions and amendments. and now those constitutions and amendments have become a farce. by the stroke of signatures in deals and other political deals and agendas. the "freedom" is enforced by guns. is that really freedom?

Return to “Canada”