We need the tools of freedom

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

We need the tools of freedom

Post by bob vernon »

And some in the Conservative Party want to let us have the tools of freedom. The coming waves of Jihadists will swamp Canada if we don't wake up and arm each household. And get our kids involved by training them. Leftists will try to deny us our safety. Who's side are they on anyway?

Trudeau government rejects e-petition to lift restrictions on AR-15
Gun owners and gun control advocates take stand on rifle ahead of fall sitting of Parliament
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/guns-fi ... -1.3746616
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: We need the tools of freedom

Post by fluffy »

From my experience, the type of people who would want to arm themselves are the last ones that should be armed.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

The Times of Israel - Tuesday, September 6, 2016:

The jihadists are coming! The jihadists are coming!
http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/the-jiha ... re-coming/
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Any weapon designed and with the intended use other than for hunting game i couldn't care less about, and for that use i think the laws of ownership etc are strict enough.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Those who are against all arms might want to research the question of "how many countries have gained their freedom without resorting to arms" ?? How many countries would be able to remain free if they did not have the threat of arms (their own or their allies) to defend their borders ??
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

It's depressing how quickly any discussion about firearms can send some people into a bigoted hateful tirade about the imagined intellect and morality of people who enjoy shooting. As Switzerland has demonstrated, civilized countries don't necessarily have to fear a well-educated and armed citizenry. The Liberals may be justified in their belief that Canadians are inadequate to be entrusted with the responsibilities of the Swiss, but that doesn't reflect well on us.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Donald G wrote:How many countries would be able to remain free if they did not have the threat of arms (their own or their allies) to defend their borders ??

There ya go...the Americans have enough weapons to look after us. We would only be a flash in the pan compared to them so we don't need more!

The average Canadian has no need for an automatic weapon and to suggest we do is just crazy!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

bob vernon wrote:And some in the Conservative Party want to let us have the tools of freedom. The coming waves of Jihadists will swamp Canada if we don't wake up and arm each household. And get our kids involved by training them. Leftists will try to deny us our safety. Who's side are they on anyway?

Gun owners and gun control advocates take stand on rifle ahead of fall sitting of Parliament

If you're that freaked out about Muslims, I think we have put our foot down and say "No guns for you". Guns are tools for acquiring food, not for killing people even if they are really effective at it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Since 9/11, in the US, 400000 people have been killed by guns. More than all the Americans killed fighting the nations wars in the last century. Since 9/11 75 people have been killed in the US by 5 radicalised Muslims. Hardly qualifies as a swarm. By the by, those 75 were killed by guns legally purchased in the US. So chicken little, crawl back in your basement, turn out the lights put on your tinfoil hat and wait for the black helicopters to show up.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JLives wrote: I think we have put our foot down and say "No guns for you". Guns are tools for acquiring food, not for killing people even if they are really effective at it.

Because really, that's what this couple was doing in San Bernadino, killing people for food.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

d0nb wrote:It's depressing how quickly any discussion about firearms can send some people into a bigoted hateful tirade about the imagined intellect and morality of people who enjoy shooting.

The OP doesn't strike me as "people who enjoy shooting". Words like "uninformed" and "paranoid" come to mind. The thought of people like this with assault weapons makes me paranoid.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

True comment posted by The Green Barbaian

Leftists need a way to achieve that smugness for which they are so justifiably famous. They need a way to achieve self-esteem without merit. In an egalitarian world everything will be controlled by politics, and politics requires no merit. - PJ O'Rourke

The far left weakens Democracy and Free Enterprise by taking from those who work the hardest and produce the most and giving to those who make the least effort and produce the least.

Democracy can be eliminated by those contributing the least joining together to vote. In Canada they are called avid or hard core NDP supporters.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Seems to me the biggest threat to freedom actually comes from those who allow others to do their thinking for them. Amazing how easy it still is, in this day and age, to turn even thoughtful people against each other using nothing more than symbols and stereotypes.

When I first read the title of this thread, I hoped it would be about the real tools of freedom: thinking independently, refusing to become part of a herd, refusing to become a useful idiot for anyone else's agenda.

Alas, no.

We'll all still be squabbling over burkinis, burkas, assault weapons, the proper interpretation of ancient texts, right versus left, and other petty distractions while those who benefit from our collective inability to focus on the real problems continue to take advantage of our willingness to be used.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

bob vernon wrote:And some in the Conservative Party want to let us have the tools of freedom. The coming waves of Jihadists will swamp Canada if we don't wake up and arm each household. And get our kids involved by training them. Leftists will try to deny us our safety. Who's side are they on anyway?

The petition to properly classify the AR-15 properly has nothing to do with Muslims, Islam, or any other people.

It has to do with classifying the AR-15 according to the laws that deal with firearm classifications in Canada.

The law says nothing about "restrict this gun, because holy crap, it looks scary!" The AR-15 was classified based on looks, not on its mechanical features.

The petition was an attempt to correct the erroneous classification, nothing more.

The left is quick to tuck tail and discriminate based on looks, which is what happened with the AR. Imagine if we lived in a society where we discriminated against people based on their looks...oops, we do.

The AR-15 was classified as restricted because it was black and scary looking...is it any wonder why the left discriminates against black, scary looking people, too?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

It's a mess, Rwede. Bureaucratic limbo. And this:
Bernardo said there is also concern over a recent decision to turn a particular type of magazine for .22 rifles into a prohibited device.

"They took a magazine for a .22, just a regular .22 – as a matter of fact, the most popular .22 rifle ever made — and they have made 1.25 million magazines for this rifle that are in Canada now — into prohibited devices. And these prohibited devices, if you're caught with them, can carry a jail term of up to 10 years in jail."

So, 10 years for a magazine for a .22? What the hey?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Canada”