Legalized pot a workplace hazard: O&G Industry

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Legalized pot a workplace hazard: O&G Industry

Post by Rwede »

Canada's oil and gas industry warns legalized pot a workplace hazard

SEPTEMBER 1, 2016 9:30 AM

Canada’s oil and gas industry is calling on the federal government to expressly prohibit pot use in safety-sensitive workplaces if it moves ahead with its plans to legalize marijuana.

In an Aug. 29 letter to the government’s Task Force on Marijuana Legalization, Regulation and Restriction, oil and gas industry safety association Enform warns alcohol and drug use is already “at the forefront” of the challenges facing the upstream petroleum industry’s workplace safety efforts and marijuana legalization could make the situation worse.

“The legalization of marijuana will have an adverse impact on workplace safety and on an employer’s ability to ensure a safe work environment,” Enform CEO Cameron MacGillivray wrote. “Enform respectfully submits that any legislation that is considered must address the obligations of employers to maintain a safe work environment and the workplace safety risks associated with marijuana use and abuse.”

MacGillivray states that in addition to an express prohibition on the use of cannabis on safety sensitive work sites, the industry also wants to see a ban on the possession, storage or sale of the drug on safety sensitive work sites.

snip

In its letter, Enform cites a 2003 study that found male marijuana users had a 28 per cent higher rate of hospitalization due to injuries than non-users and female users had a 37 per cent higher rate of hospitalization due to injuries.

Enform is requesting the opportunity to make formal oral submissions to the Task Force on Marijuana Legalization regarding the safety implications of the legalization of marijuana.

Full story: http://edmontonjournal.com/storyline/ca ... ace-hazard
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Legalized pot a workplace hazard: O&G Industry

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Alcohol is also a workplace hazard, yet legal and readily available, so are they freaking out about that too?

No sensible person should go to work stoned, just as they shouldn't go to work inebriated.

Some don't have sense, thus go to work stoned, drunk, or both, so simply need to be identified and gotten rid of.

Same rule applies whether it's pot, alcohol, prescribed medication, or any of the numerous other drugs out there, capable of impairing judgment, and performance.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

biggest bunch of bs ever written . non the injuries i ever saw and i saw fair amount was ever due to mary jane use . but booze and scripts you betcha .

plus juiced raw weed will make you test positive but there is zero mind altering stuff in juiced raw weed .

reality is people will be allowed to use it at work and the god worshipping right can either whine more or get proactive and c9me up with comprimises .
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Alcohol is also a workplace hazard, yet legal and readily available, so are they freaking out about that too?

No sensible person should go to work stoned, just as they shouldn't go to work inebriated.

Some don't have sense, thus go to work stoned, drunk, or both, so simply need to be identified and gotten rid of.

Same rule applies whether it's pot, alcohol, prescribed medication, or any of the numerous other drugs out there, capable of impairing judgment, and performance.

your actualy wrong .as i said thc-a will test you positive but you wont have any mind altering anything in you .

but more importantly if your opinion is someone after smoking sum bud should be fired then should people who show up hung over ? or dven cig smokers as nicotine is a drug that effects judgment . so does scripts .

i will work with potheads all day everyday and never feel in danger .
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Anybody have a link to the study? Nobody should be high AT work in that industry but there is no reason they shouldn't be able to smoke for medical or recreation reasons after their shift. They should just do a competency test and if those in charge feel a worker is a danger to themselves or others than take the necessary steps.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I think stuff like this is to get testing in all businesses that chooses to like in the US
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i still disagree even with jlives . there is zero evidence that smoking pot affects judgement . zero .

but facts are medical weed will be allowed and our feds will come up with rules on it .if you can have cig at break the doob should be fine to . nicotine is a same class type drug as speed and crank . it affects mind and body in same way . it is a stimulant as caffine is also .
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

jimmy4321 wrote:I think stuff like this is to get testing in all businesses that chooses to like in the US

you can test in bc but only after you have proof that someone is acting with dis regard to thier or others safety . wich nine times out of ten is related to booze
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

My experience in running operations was that the legality of the substance makes no difference. Alcohol was always a more prevalent problem anyway.

If you have the right training, the right policies, and are diligent, substance abuse of all kinds shows up very rarely in the workplace. The RCMP offers good courses at no charge. My experience was that by making a "big deal" out of having the RCMP come in and train our supervisors, charge hands, shop stewards in how to recognize substance abuse darn near eliminated it.

We never tested anyone, we did not need to. With that training the LRB was satisfied (at the time) that we met the needs to make the appropriate judgements in suspending substance abusers.

So this argument is just a load of horsefeathers and malarkey.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

exactly booze will kill more people than pot because pot has zero death rate .

and as far as cops go most them puff themselves
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

maryjane48 wrote:i still disagree even with jlives . there is zero evidence that smoking pot affects judgement . zero .

I think it's safe to assume, from what we've seen posted by pot smokers on Castanet, that judgment is indeed impaired.

:topic:

Evidence is that workplace injuries are more serious by a factor of 28% in males and 37% in females who smoke dope than in those who don't. They call it dope for a reason.

You can't cite a study that shows any differently, and you know it.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

hobbyguy wrote:So this argument is just a load of horsefeathers and malarkey.

No, you're just jumping to Trudeau's defense again.

Your comment has nothing to do with the article cited whatsoever. You're just going the political route.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

maryjane48 wrote:i still disagree even with jlives . there is zero evidence that smoking pot affects judgement . zero .

but facts are medical weed will be allowed and our feds will come up with rules on it .if you can have cig at break the doob should be fine to . nicotine is a same class type drug as speed and crank . it affects mind and body in same way . it is a stimulant as caffine is also .

It's not about judgement, a stoned employee is not likely to start fights or dance on tables. It's about awareness and response time. If your job is washing dishes then you probably should be high but if you are working with equipment, tools or any area that requires your full care and attention than you absolutely should not be smoking marijuana before or during work.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Rwede wrote:Evidence is that workplace injuries are more serious by a factor of 28% in males and 37% in females who smoke dope than in those who don't. They call it dope for a reason.

You can't cite a study that shows any differently, and you know it.

No study has been cited, still waiting for a link to it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If a worker comes to workplace stoned or drunk he or she should be sent home without pay, 3 times within 3 month to 6 months equals termination. Plus added to any letters requested.

What you do outside of workplace is none of my business, bring it into workplace then it becomes safety issue. So just call in sick
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Canada”