Trudeau and the "sisters upstairs"

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Trudeau and the "sisters upstairs"

Post by Gone_Fishin »

‘Feminist’ Trudeau under attack for attending gender-segregated event at Ottawa mosque

Trudeau’s appearance Monday morning at a gender-segregated mosque in Ottawa brought criticism from some of the same women who had admired his work toward gender equality.

David Akin ✔ @davidakin
Only men are permitted on the main floor. Women will watch Trudeau from balcony.

“Right now we have these political leaders — ironically, politically liberal leaders — who are just putting blinders on their eyes about their values,” Asra Nomani said in a telephone interview from Washington, D.C. Nomani, a former Wall Street Journal reporter who describes herself as a liberal, is the author of Standing Alone: An American Woman’s Struggle for the Soul of Islam.

“That’s the big differential for liberals, they fancy themselves as honouring the women’s body and yet the segregation by its very definition hyper-sexualizes women’s bodies. That’s the great irony.”

Trudeau was at the mosque Monday to mark Eid al-Adha, considered the holiest of feast days for the world’s Muslims. Three female MPs accompanied Trudeau during his brief remarks, though they had to arrive by a side door and stand with their heads covered. They did not address the mosque.

Video and story: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... ated-event
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Trudeau and the "sisters upstairs"

Post by Barney Google »

...not thinking this was such a "smooth move, Exlax" for a self proclaimed Feminist...:132:
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Trudeau is great at talking out of both sides of his mouth ,reminds me of another Liberal PM.
It is good to know though that Trudeau contrary to what he says in fact supports gender segregation.
If he didn't he would have never went to a place that is known for gender segregation.
Yet again the word hypocrite comes to mind with the Trudeau name.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Most progressive mosques (ones I went to with my son's in-laws in Kuala Lumpur) did not segregate women; however, a head covering for women was the tradition which I respected.

Apparently this mosque is not one of the 'progressive mosques'. And I don't think it would be in any way appropriate for Trudeau to snub a mosque that held to a more traditional approach.
Chill
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Robyn Urback: Feminism is standing up for women when it is uncomfortable. Trudeau missed a chance to show that

September 15, 2016 1:46 PM ET

To many, the appearance was another example of the hypocrisy of a government that talks the talk on feminism but has trouble executing “real change” — to borrow a phrase from the governing Liberals.

snip

It’s certainly difficult for any government to tread the fraught line between religion and women’s rights, but this government’s hypocrisy shines that much more poignantly, because of the fact it is literally publishing buttons and stickers boasting about Trudeau’s feminist credentials. By addressing a group of men in a spot where women are prohibited, the prime minister’s supposed dedication to feminism takes a back seat to religious observance. Regular Canadians are free to prioritize their values in such ways, but tolerating gender segregation — whether in a mosque, or an Orthodox synagogue, or Hindu temple — is particularly unbecoming for the leader of a secular, democratic country, especially one who claims that feminism is at the forefront of his political agenda.

A true feminist would not indulge in a privilege afforded to him only by virtue of the fact he is a man, which is exactly what Trudeau did by speaking on the ground floor of a segregated Ottawa mosque. Indeed, there are plenty of integrated mosques where Trudeau could have marked Eid al-Adha with Canada’s Muslim community, while at the same time holding true to his commitment to equal treatment, equal freedoms and equal access for women.

Feminism is more than cheap slogans and Liberal-branded T-shirts: it is standing up for women even when and where it is contentious and uncomfortable to do so. Canada’s feminist prime minister missed an opportunity to demonstrate that.

More: http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comme ... -show-that
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

maybe one day those going gaga over JT will recognize he is foremost a stage performer - short on substance but long on theatrics to increase his fan base - may have misstepped on this one.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Rosemary1 wrote:...may have misstepped on this one.

Lol...you got that right Rosemary...JT made one big misstep into a pile of feminist dodo.

If he wants to show up in support of any celebration, touting himself as a pure feminist, he should

be attending those that are modern enough to practice equality.

Was SGT upstairs with "The Sisters" too?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

I guess when it comes down to it JT has stronger feeling and beliefs that side with the Muslims over women.
Scary to think a PM has stronger believes in a religion that has shown a very radical side then he does for the female gender, he claims to support so strongly.
I guess when push comes to shove like in this case JT is a Muslim supporter first and foremost over women.
This shouldn't come as a big surprise I guess as he is willing to give a convicted Muslim terrorist Canadian citizenship.
I guess along with being a admirer of communist china we can now add being an admirer of Muslims and their beliefs.
The big question is how deep does that admiration go? does he lean to the extremist side in his beliefs?
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 17th, 2016, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 18th, 2016, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

dieseluphammerdown wrote:I guess when it comes down to it JT has stronger feeling and beliefs that side with the Muslims over women.
Scary to think a PM has stronger believes in a religion that has shown a very radical side then he does for the female gender, he claims to support so strongly.
I guess when push comes to shove like in this case JT is a Muslim supporter first and foremost over women.
This shouldn't come as a big surprise I guess as he is willing to give a convicted Muslim terrorist Canadian citizenship.
I guess along with being a admirer of communist china we can now add being an admirer of Muslims and their beliefs.
The big question is how deep does that admiration go? does he lean to the extremist side in his beliefs?

thats a simple point of view. change doesnt happen instantly. and feminist attitudes dont change that way overnight too. but if you look at 2nd or 3rd generation families - there is a huge change in the way women and girls live. its not trudeaus job to force feminism on these people. thats the conservative approach. legislate changes and make them law in an omnibus package. we know where trudeau stands. he picks his battles and lets the war take care of itself. him being part of the solution is all he needs to do right now.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

sooperphreek wrote:
thats a simple point of view. change doesnt happen instantly. and feminist attitudes dont change that way overnight too. but if you look at 2nd or 3rd generation families - there is a huge change in the way women and girls live. its not trudeaus job to force feminism on these people. thats the conservative approach. legislate changes and make them law in an omnibus package. we know where trudeau stands. he picks his battles and lets the war take care of itself. him being part of the solution is all he needs to do right now.
LOL, Trudeau tossed what he said were his own beliefs(feminist, and equal rights) to the curb the first chance he got to support Muslims and their beliefs. Trudeau is just full of hot air and his gullible supporters lap it up.
Trudeau's not a part of any solutions, he is however a flip flopper that acts on the latest flavour of the day, if he wasn't he would have told this sexist mosque to get stuffed. He didn't though did he? Why is that? The truth is supporting Muslims is more important to him then the very women he claims to support.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

there is absolutely nothing wrong with justin being civil with religious groups in canada. he can stand with jews. he can stand withe christians. he can stand with satanists. in the end it shouldnt matter. and as such the religious aspect regarding muslims thrown about is childish. he went to a religious center standing united with them as a part of canada. a group that is an important part of our multicultural fabric and society. enough said.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

sooperphreek wrote:there is absolutely nothing wrong with justin being civil with religious groups in canada. he can stand with jews. he can stand withe christians. he can stand with satanists. in the end it shouldnt matter. and as such the religious aspect regarding muslims thrown about is childish. he went to a religious center standing united with them as a part of canada. a group that is an important part of our multicultural fabric and society. enough said.
Yes because politics and religion mix so well together. Especially when it is a religion that believes in segregation, and has a large following that shows extremist tendencies. You should be condemning this action and poor judgement by Trudeau , not apologising for it.!
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

dieseluphammerdown wrote:Yes because politics and religion mix so well together. Especially when it is a religion that believes in segregation, and has a large following that shows extremist tendencies. You should be condemning this action and poor judgement by Trudeau , not apologising for it.!

if you know that religion and politics dont mix i wonder why it was acceptable to have the religious right and christians try so hard to manipulate/change the laws of the land like abortion and others? i assume your apparent aberration of justin and trying to snare him for appearing with muslims proves that harper was your man? that his christian coalition in the party was acceptable to you? why is this religious interaction ok? and muslims are not? the muslim faith is made up of a microscopic portion of "extremists". painting all muslims with a broad brush is juvenile.

Return to “Canada”