Manitoba Hydro's new diesel electric bucket truck

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Manitoba Hydro's new diesel electric bucket truck

Post by Smurf »

I don't know if this interests anyone like it does me, but I do stay somewhat in touch with the Hydro industry, especially Manitoba Hydro because I have family working there. I received this information today.

Manitoba hydro now has a Altec AM55 class 7 bucket truck that was retrofitted with a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) system by Wisconsin-based Odyne Systems, a leading manufacturer of hybrid systems for medium-and heavy-duty trucks. Manitoba Hydro is a participant in the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) program to accelerate the use of large PHEVs by utilities and municipalities in the United States and Canada. Manitoba Hydro supplied the 55 foot extended boom truck and EPRI paid the approximately $110,000.00 (US) to retrofit it with an agreement they would be involved in all testing of it's operation. This is the largest unit of it's kind in Canada.

It is diesel/electric and can travel 48 km's and have 85% of it's battery power left for approximately 4 hours of boom operation. Power is delivered by two 14.2 kWh Johnson Controls lithium-ion battery packs. Charging the truck is estimated to cost less than $2 per charge, assuming the truck uses an average of 25 kWh of energy from the batteries each day (heavy-use case) and the cost of electricity consumption is at $0.072 per kWh. The batteries also charge by a launch assist and regenerative braking that captures up to 40kW, power that would normally be absorbed by the chassis brakes and lost
as heat. They estimate that along with the diesel fuel saving they will save about $2,000.00 a year in maintenance such as oil etc.

Sounds like a fantastic system. I would love to get a chance to operate it. I'm not sure about cost savings if it costs over $110,000.00 to retrofit it. Time will tell if prices come down to a reasonable level.

I almost forgot, the City of Vancouver has purchased three trucks under the EPRI program. They are part of 119 similar trucks deployed across the U.S. and Canada under the same program.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Manitoba Hydro's new diesel electric bucket truck

Post by rustled »

Interesting stuff, Smurf. (Although it did occur to me that if the lithium battery in a vaper or a smartphone can cause a little explosion...)

Technology's advancing fast.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Manitoba Hydro's new diesel electric bucket truck

Post by Smurf »

I can just imagine those batteries exploding.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “Canada”