Rebranding Canada: Justin Trudeau's big plans at the UN

LiamHaddock
Übergod

Rebranding Canada: Justin Trudeau's big plans at the UN

Post by LiamHaddock »

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/ju ... -1.3766405
Six years have passed since the country's historic loss in its bid for a seat at the UN Security Council; five since Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird struck a combative tone at the Assembly, telling the chamber in New York that Canada refuses to "go along in order to get along" on international affairs.
Baird once dismissed the UN as a "debating club for dictators."

Trudeau has already announced Canada will seek a Security Council seat for a two-year term beginning in 2021.

"With Trudeau, they're trying to re-engage," says Colin McCullough, author of Creating Canada's Peacekeeping Past. "They're saying Canada is back in the world."

The McMaster University history professor expects a "very, very decided contrast" to the way Harper's government approached its relationship with the UN.

Groundwork has already been laid to make that case, with a $450-million investment for UN peacekeeping operations and a pledge to allot up to 600 troops over the next three years for stability projects.

The commitment demonstrates a renewed focus on a liberal internationalist tradition of advancing action on global concerns like climate change, peacekeeping, promoting gender equality and helping Syrian refugees.

Put another way?

"Making the world a better place," McCullough says. "It could be dismissed as overly optimistic, do-gooder talk, but it can help mobilize a large number of Canadians."

"Everybody likes Canada, and everyone would like to develop a relationship with Canada. So you need to use this … potent asset, because it is an asset to be a loved brand," Attias says, noting that Trudeau "is a brand by himself" with popular appeal.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Re: Rebranding Canada: Justin Trudeau's big plans at the UN

Post by LiamHaddock »

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/09/20/prime-minister-justin-trudeau-to-deliver-first-un-address.html
The prime minister mentioned no names, but warned three times in his speech about politicians who exploit anxiety for personal gain.

“Faced with citizens’ anxiety, we have a choice to make. Do we exploit that anxiety or do we allay it? Exploiting it is easy, but, in order to allay it, we need to be prepared to answer some very direct questions,” Trudeau said. “What will create the good well-paying jobs that people want need and deserve? What will strengthen and grow the middle class and help those working hard to join it?”

Trudeau cast his Liberal government’s spending-heavy program as a form of alleviating anxiety — with its infrastructure plan, which, he says, will create middle-class jobs.

“We need to focus on what brings us together, not on what divides us,” he said. “We believe we should confront anxiety with a clear plan to deal with its root causes.

“What is the alternative? To turn it into fear and blame. To reject others, because they look or speak or pray differently than we do?”
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Canada has a chance to regain a two-year term on the Security Council in 2020, but is expected to face a tough fight from Norway and Ireland.

Go Norway! Go Ireland!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Go Norway! Go Ireland!

Go! Canada Go!
:130:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I've mentioned this before, biggest issue with the UN Security Council is the 5 permanent members each have veto power (none of the 10 elected members have that veto power). Each of the 5 has have there own agenda (here are those 5: US, UK, France, Russia & China).
Since those 5 usually don't agree not much actually gets done, except if it benefits them all i.e desert storm..... if not nothing happens i.e Rwanda genocide
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/justin-trudeau-at-the-un-were-canadian-and-were-here-to-help/
It is the responsibility of a leader to spend time with the people they were elected to serve.

If you want the real stories, you have to go where people live. Coffee shops and church basements, mosques and synagogues. Farmer’s markets. Public parks.

It was in places like that that I got the best sense of what Canadians were thinking, and how they were doing. And through the politeness – because we Canadians are always polite, even when we’re complaining – I learnt some things.

I talked with people my age who were trying to be hopeful about their future, but found it tough to make ends meet, even when they were working full time.

I heard from young Canadians who were frustrated. Who told me that they couldn’t get a job because they don’t have work experience, and they couldn’t get work experience because they don’t have a job.

I heard from women and girls who still face inequality in the workplace and violence just because they are women, even in a progressive country like Canada.

We need to focus on what brings us together, not what divides us.

For Canada, that means re-engaging in global affairs through institutions like the United Nations. It doesn’t serve our interests – or the world’s – to pretend we’re not deeply affected by what happens beyond our borders.

I'm glad to hear he's listening and can't wait to see the more changes he makes... keep up the good work JT :up:
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

LiamHaddock wrote:Go! Canada Go!

Why?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Go! Canada Go!

The Green Barbarian wrote:Why?

Because I agree with Justin's stance/opinion that we should be trying to get a seatbon the councul and change Canadas image both here at home and on the global stage...

We need to focus on what brings us together, not what divides us.

For Canada, that means re-engaging in global affairs through institutions like the United Nations. It doesn’t serve our interests – or the world’s – to pretend we’re not deeply affected by what happens beyond our borders.

Why do you feel Canada should not get a seat or re-engage with the UN?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

LiamHaddock wrote:Because I agree with Justin's stance/opinion that we should be trying to get a seatbon the councul and change Canadas image both here at home and on the global stage...

Change it? How? Other than giving the PC gang a warm feeling in their tummies that Canada is "doing something", this is just yet another vacuous and meaningless gesture that accomplishes nothing. What is the point? To make a bunch of people feel good for no reason? This is no different than spending millions sending plane loads of cronies to Paris for a big party. It makes some people who put value on meaningless gestures happy, but accomplishes absolutely nothing, other than burning up a bunch of taxpayer cash. What is the point???
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Yes by becoming a peace keeping nation once again instead of being an aggressor... and by investing in our citizens at home that need help and support.

Also we need to focus on being involved on the Global stage because we are all connected and it's not all about Canada our us individualy but society as a whole..

We need to continue to work together and expand our compassion and help to the full extent we are able.

And yes some peope actually do believe and care about man made climate change and is glad our government does as well

...you really should get over the fact not everyone's going to buy your climate change denial nonsense....agree to disagree my friend lol
Last edited by LiamHaddock on Sep 20th, 2016, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/09/19 ... 93658.html

We are being looked up to by the world right as a country making the right decisions. World leaders are vying for Trudeau's attention. Countries want to emulate our refugee program. This is helping us socially and fiscally. I'm sorry for those hate Trudeau so much they can't just take a moment and allow for some pride in our nation for the good we are trying to do in the world and at home.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

JLives wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/09/19/justin-trudeau-praised-un_n_12093658.html

We are being looked up to by the world right as a country making the right decisions..

Trudeau was at the UN to tell the world’s leaders that Canada will work to help solve the global refugee and migration crisis and to announce a 10 per cent boost to humanitarian aid. He is scheduled to address the United Nations General Assembly for the first time on Tuesday.

No, we are being looked at as drunken sailors with pockets full of money, ready to pour into the UN's greedy corrupt hands. The floodgates are now open again, and as our selfie-loving PM continues to run up giant deficits while the masses cheer and the trained seals clap, how could you fault the UN parasites from falling all over themselves in praise of this glorious event! The UN was scared it might be held accountable, even if that voice was only coming from little Canada, but now, all that is off the table. Spend away good fellows, and Canada is getting the tab. Just put the bill on that guy's chair, the one currently taking selfies with Leonardo and Bono.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

there must be others in the world that do indeed feel the same as you that the liberals are "drunken sailors" and are not happy with Justin's spending and then of course others disagree...

Humanitarian aid and caring about others is just one way we are showing great leadership

The world is loving that Canada is back again showing leadership other countries are watching and wanting to emulate us.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/trudeau-pledges-645-million-to-help-refugees-at-un-conference/article31951097/

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau showcased Canada’s response to the Syrian refugee crisis at the United Nations Monday and urged other countries to help solve the unprecedented global migrant crisis – a theme he is expected to take up again in his maiden address to the UN General Assembly Tuesday.

Mr. Trudeau took the lead on his call for global action by announcing $64.5-million in new funding to help meet immediate, life-saving needs of people affected by humanitarian crises around the world. The money will be funnelled to international organizations, including UN agencies and the International Committee of the Red Cross, over three years.

Canada has resettled more than 31,000 Syrian refugees since last November, a feat Mr. Trudeau highlighted Monday.

“That’s a pretty big accomplishment, and it’s one that could not have happened without the help and support of Canadians in communities all across the country,” he said.

The government expects to welcome more than 44,000 Syrians by the end of the year, including 17,800 privately sponsored refugees.

Immigration Minister John McCallum, who joined Mr. Trudeau in New York this week, said many countries wanted to learn more about Canada’s unique private-sponsorship system. The program allows groups of individuals to sponsor refugees by committing to financially support them during their first year in Canada.

“I know the U.K. is interested,” Mr. McCallum told reporters Monday. “We have had interest expressed from several countries.”

“We have a bigger say when we are part of the debate at the Security Council than if we’re not members,” Mr. McCallum said. “We don’t want a seat just to have a seat. We want a seat so that we can better push the directions and the policies which we think are best for the world.”
Last edited by LiamHaddock on Sep 20th, 2016, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

The Green Barbarian wrote:No, we are being looked at as drunken sailors with pockets full of money, ready to pour into the UN's greedy corrupt hands. The floodgates are now open again, and as our selfie-loving PM continues to run up giant deficits while the masses cheer and the trained seals clap, how could you fault the UN parasites from falling all over themselves in praise of this glorious event! The UN was scared it might be held accountable, even if that voice was only coming from little Canada, but now, all that is off the table. Spend away good fellows, and Canada is getting the tab. Just put the bill on that guy's chair, the one currently taking selfies with Leonardo and Bono.

I didn't say the UN were vying for his attention, I said word leaders are. You know, the people running the countries we do business with on a global level to export our goods and make money? People trust us and people you can trust make good business partners. Trudeau is excelling at being PM in many ways and we will see economic benefits from his policies.

Oh, and a selfie is a picture you take of yourselfie. The word you are thinking of is photo, that's where other people take a picture and people have been taking them with world leaders since we've had the technology to do so. Only a Conservative could see being liked and respected as a fault.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
RedViking

Post by RedViking »

Wait, since when is the UN corrupt and greedy? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that. Examples? Or is this just because of conferences that involve climate change which is apparently a fairy tale?

Return to “Canada”