Senator reports herself ...

Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Senator reports herself ...

Post by Barney Google »

CBC:
Senator reports herself to ethics czar over CBC tax-haven revelations

'I had no knowledge of, or participation in… the listing of my name as a director' of offshore firm

"A Conservative senator is taking the unusual step of reporting herself to a parliamentary ethics czar after a joint CBC/Radio-Canada/Toronto Star investigation into leaked tax-haven records found she was a director of an offshore corporation for 12 years — without, she says, ever knowing about it.

As a result, Senator Nicole Eaton failed to disclose the position, as required, to the Senate's ethics officer, which would normally be a violation of the upper chamber's conflict-of-interest rules.

But both she and a longtime friend, who acknowledges installing Eaton as a director of the Bahamas-based company, say Eaton didn't know about it, and only learned the news when reporters made inquiries this week.

"I knew nothing of this and… never served on this company's board of directors," Eaton said in a statement to CBC News and the Star. "This clearly occurred without my knowledge or consent."

Beyond the odd circumstances, experts say the revelation points to a glaring gap in the regulation of offshore companies in the Bahamas, a tax haven that vows it is "largely compliant" with international standards on anti-money-laundering measures and know-your-client rules...."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bahamas ... -1.3774330
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Veovis
Guru

Re: Senator reports herself ...

Post by Veovis »

Interesting.

As a matter of verification towards her claims, if there isn't any paperwork with her signature on it for annual filings etc for this company, then I can provide the benefit of the doubt. If there is paperwork she has signed off on, then it would imply she did know about it and a closer look occur.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The one-percenters are so wealthy, they have income flowing in without even knowing it.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 22nd, 2016, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: stop derailing threads!
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 22nd, 2016, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

what would conservatives say if this was a liberal? because that is what i would be saying and even more about the present conservative leader.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

I may believe it when she sues her friend for fraud.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I somewhat tend to agree with you Bob Vernon.
However, it is the responsibility of any representative to ensure full and complete disclosure.
I'm not totally 'buying' the 'I was unaware' excuse.
One in the top 1% should 'have staff that takes care of those details'. :up:
I also could careless what political party a person is affiliated with the whole lot of them needs a reality check.
Canadians are sick of this kind of foolishness and we need to get past the Party differences and hold them ALL accountable from the top right down to the bottom.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I have to wonder if the world isn't going to have to start imposing "currency movement" taxes on places like Bahamas, Panama, Ireland, etc. to stop this crud.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “Canada”